03/18/10 03:06 AM
03/18/10 03:06 AM
P
Pete Tsn Tsns Offline OP
stranger
Pete Tsn Tsns  Offline OP
stranger
P

Hello there, my fellow Mozziphiles. I am wondering if my setup for jib sheeting is "normal". I understand the logic of it, but it leads to a "cluttered" tramp and it likes to get @#$%^&* tangled up as soon as I look away from it. It consists of a 40cm. long track running fore and aft on each hull beside the tramp boltrope. A wire (shroud diameter)is shackled to a sliding car (with stopper)on each track.(i.e across the tramp). The jib blocks are shackled to this wire, and can move in towards the center beam approx. 20cm. when sheeted in hard. There are loops of shock cord attached to the shackles at the base of the blocks to slide them outwards for downwind sailing. Does this setup sound familiar to anyone? I am going to try dispensing with the transverse wire, and having the jib sheet blocks attached to the track instead. I know this will widen the sheeting angle of the jib, and widen the slot between the sails but it may be worth it for the fact there will be less tangles, less "clutter", and quicker tacks hopefully.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Jib Sheeting [Re: Pete Tsn Tsns] #205997
03/18/10 06:03 AM
03/18/10 06:03 AM
Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Peter_Foulsum Offline
addict
Peter_Foulsum  Offline
addict

Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Hi Glider,

Yes your setup does sound familiar and allows for heaps of adjustment. smile The alternative and an easy way to remove the clutter and fittings is to have a sailmaker re-inforce the trampoline (assuming it is pretty good condition) and put a series of eyelets that allow you to feed a mounting rope through the holes.

Put knots in the mounting rope on the underside of the trampoline and connect the jibsheet pulley/ratchet to the rope loop on the top side via shackles. You may want to try a few positions to get the ideal mounting point allowing for trampoline and rope deflection under jibsheet tension. grin

Naturally, the opposite side will be a mirror image of your marked location through the trampoline centreline. blush

You can then start to clutter the system up by putting a barber hauler system out to the side stays so that you can increase the jib slot angle as required for reaching. cool

This system will reduce allot of the clutter or at least have most of the clutter on the leeward hull away from where you are positioned. cool

Regards,

Peter

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
Re: Jib Sheeting [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #206096
03/19/10 02:24 AM
03/19/10 02:24 AM
Rye, Victoria
air_apparent Offline
journeyman
air_apparent  Offline
journeyman

Rye, Victoria
the problem using the hull track is that the sheeting angle is too wide
the wire that you have is the way it was done in the past now we just use the rope loops or I have a webbing tape about 10mm wide sawn onto the tramp to allow a number of loops big enough to connect the block via a snap shackle

simple and soft on the knees

regards gordon
air apparent

Last edited by air_apparent; 03/19/10 02:27 AM.

Gordon Hyde
Air Apparent
Re: Jib Sheeting [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #206098
03/19/10 02:32 AM
03/19/10 02:32 AM
3 weeks Newman WA 1 week Robe ...
Brian P Offline
Brian P  Offline

i have the bridle rope system on my stingray. yes, i know its not a mozzie. however i have had super champion peter dunk sew two slots in my tramp where the bridle rope passes under the tramp in between the jib sheet blocks. it removes clutter quite well. on the mozzie, i had the jib sheet pulleys running on the tracks with a barber hauler system to pull them inwards and downwards same time.
either way works great, as long as you remove clutter, its all good.

Brian Partridge
STINGRAY 580 "Fantasia"
A Class 585 "FHARKEN A"

YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD
BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT IN GLITTER!!!!!
Re: Jib Sheeting [Re: Brian P] #206102
03/19/10 03:30 AM
03/19/10 03:30 AM
McLaren Vale, SA
Rebel without a Clew Offline
journeyman
Rebel without a Clew  Offline
journeyman

McLaren Vale, SA
Hi Brian,
When will we see you and the Stingray at Normanville, expecting about 20 boats on Sunday,half will be Arrows for their states,
Cheers,
Roy.

Re: Jib Sheeting [Re: Rebel without a Clew] #206294
03/21/10 07:28 PM
03/21/10 07:28 PM
Brian P Offline
Brian P  Offline

maybe soon!!! i have just snatched it from this godforsaken island!!!! having three weeks off. might try and convince the cook to sail on saturday, but might be hard as she agreed to sail easter at barmera. we shall see!!!!!

Brian Partridge
STINGRAY 580 "Fantasia"
A Class 585 "FHARKEN A"

YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD
BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT IN GLITTER!!!!!

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022