03/15/10 01:37 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi all,

just some info on the GLYC Easter Regatta.

Program is around Raymond Island Saturday starting at 2pm. Results are Yardstick and Fastest time, currently held by a Mossie. grin

Sunday is a Classic 30 Nautical Mile Race, shocked (It may take most of the day but has been finished just after lunch in the right conditions.)Starting at 10am. This travels around most of Lake King and Lake Victoria, great way to see the lakes, none of that boring racing around in circles. crazy

Monday is a 10am start for around the buoy racing in Lake Victoria.

Should be great fun, will be mixed fleet of Catamarans racing, with a number of cats from Melbourne adding to the local Mossie fleet. Will also be Trailable Multis and Monos, Keelboats and Off the beach mono's racing. Weather is usely good at Easter, last year water was flat with maximum of about 20 knots for this regatta.

Hope to see you there, don't worry I will show you the way around the long races, just stay behind me. wink

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #206251
03/21/10 12:38 AM
03/21/10 12:38 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

Hi all

So Who is going, and with spin or not?
Im going with spin,
So whos coming, its going o be good

Matt

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Matt_Stone] #206256
03/21/10 04:13 AM
03/21/10 04:13 AM
greymatter Offline
greymatter  Offline

heading over to Bullen-Merri with the family.
good event but hasn't been advertised yet.

I think they have left it a bit late.

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Matt_Stone] #206284
03/21/10 04:01 PM
03/21/10 04:01 PM
Rye, Melb, Vic, Australia
Peter_Lyons Offline
journeyman
Peter_Lyons  Offline
journeyman

I am bringing the Lemon Peel without spin.
Here's hoping for good weather.

Mossie 1822
The Unsent Letter
Put one foot after the other, cos that's how we roll.
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Peter_Lyons] #206305
03/22/10 03:01 AM
03/22/10 03:01 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
I'll definitely be there. the old man tends to get lost with out the aid of my young eyes B)

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: mitchellsailor] #206396
03/23/10 01:42 AM
03/23/10 01:42 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

hey peoples,

just wondering if i can pitch a tent in someones backyard please, at Easter, i kinda left it too late, or other wise if worse comes to worse ill sleep in the back of the ute!

Matt

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #206460
03/23/10 09:10 PM
03/23/10 09:10 PM
Melbourne, Australia
MitchB Offline
MitchB  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi Gary, Good to see you yesterday! As I said we should be bringing 5 big cats down to play! (no mozzies though)

Stingray #579
GLYCish
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Matt_Stone] #206471
03/24/10 01:52 AM
03/24/10 01:52 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Matt,

youre welcome here, but dogs could be a problem with tent in back yard. Sure I can find some space for you, as long as you don't mind sharing with one of the grumpy old men, or the Beagle. Come to think of it as long as tent doesnt need pegging down, you can put it up in the shed or the BBQ area away from the dogs.

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #206477
03/24/10 02:39 AM
03/24/10 02:39 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
Matt you're welcome at our place. We have a dog free area and you might even score your own caravan. It is a 5 minute drive however!

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: mitchellsailor] #206480
03/24/10 03:58 AM
03/24/10 03:58 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

thanks guys, ill i have been talking and found a place thanks again

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Matt_Stone] #206587
03/24/10 04:35 PM
03/24/10 04:35 PM
B
Brett Goodall Offline
Brett Goodall  Offline
B

Gipslands lakes is a great venue and regatta but I guess this means we won't see the mozzies at the F16 nationals?

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Brett Goodall] #206639
03/25/10 03:03 AM
03/25/10 03:03 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
Unfortunately I have a distinct lack of coloured cloth for that kind of thing.... !)

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Brett Goodall] #206756
03/26/10 12:54 AM
03/26/10 12:54 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted by Brett Goodall
Gipslands lakes is a great venue and regatta but I guess this means we won't see the mozzies at the F16 nationals?

Hi Brett,

last time we spoke you said you may not be around for the F16's, that along with the total lack of communication from Australian F16 Assoc, nothing on websites etc, made the easy option of staying home even easier. I explained as much to Simon, I commited to staying home before he made contact.

Have to catch you another time.

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #207417
04/02/10 06:01 AM
04/02/10 06:01 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
Beautiful day for a sail today. 5-10 knots with Matt & I tearing up the lake with spinnakers wink awesome group of redundant catamarans rigging on the beach. looking forward to round the island tomorrow.

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: mitchellsailor] #207633
04/06/10 04:40 AM
04/06/10 04:40 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi all,

great regatta with good winds for this time of year.
6 Mossies raced against 2x Stingrays, 2 x Paper Tigers, Hobie 20, Nacra F18, QB3.

Around Raymond Island race, 10-15 knots. The Stingray lead most of the way upwind with Matt, Peter N, Neil and me having a go at second. With Neil and David Joiner first up with the kite it was good bye to the Stingray, I managed to just sqeeze past on the kite drop, but a loose beat home through the straits, once again saw Neil just too fast. cry Pizza dinner at the club and lots of bar chat with liquid refreshments helped to make it a great day.

Easter Sunday the Easter Bunny had left eggs on the trampolines, must have been a comfortable nesting spot, as the mono's didn't get any. wink. Classic 30 Nautical Mile race, was just that a classic, winds mostly 15 to 25kts. Without Neil to annoy me grin , I lead most of the way battling of Farrier Sprint Trimaran, Stingray and Nacra F18 and after a swim with the kite up blush which let the 35' Catamaran Spudgun catch up, I held it off to win by 50m. Race ended up only taking 3hrs. including one of the toughest longest spinnaker legs I have ever sailed. tired

Even Monday morning we where blessed with Trapeze conditions, 10-12kts, the Stingray won upwind again, but couldn't hold off the spinnaker Mossies, with me leading most of the way for a clear win. smirk

I am sure the others will post more. I know Mitch M is on holidays how about it?

Thanks to the Redundant Catamaran Club for attending again, enjoyed the stirring and they don't seem to mind getting whipped by the Mossies. They truly do sail just for fun, looking forward to next year already. grin

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #207637
04/06/10 07:11 AM
04/06/10 07:11 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
Yes hughey behaved himself all weekend. Such a big group of friendly sailors made for a very good regatta. Only downer being my modification of tims sail.

now my patented pressure release valves go ok with a clifton but I think i got carried away with the Irwin.... thankyou again for your understanding Tim.

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #207640
04/06/10 08:30 AM
04/06/10 08:30 AM
McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
S
Simon C Offline
addict
Simon C  Offline
addict
S

McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
Nice report Gary.

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. Might have to make the trip next year... I quite like a distance race grin

How did everyone else go?

Simon
Taipan AUS341
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: Simon C] #207689
04/06/10 06:57 PM
04/06/10 06:57 PM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
**** o the lake)
Mozzi with spi were the first five on corrected time with mitch bayliss on stingray 6th these top 6 beat every other division on corrected time!: less than one minute increments seperating 4th from 10th on handicap

30 miler
Gary first line honours and handicap Peter Nikiten 2nd handicap and Mitch Bayliss 3rd after I had that now famous "incident" with Tims sail close to the last mark and Matt sailed the wrong course after starting the day badly putting it in with 5 knots of breeze.
Special mention to the hobie 20 which i think came 4th on handicap and just did it so easily in these conditions.

Round the buoys.
Gary, Matt, Peter then me on handicap once again top 4 mozzis with spi.

Overall
Gary 1st for the reagatta.
Peter Nikiten 2nd
Mitch bayliss and James Mare 3rd after mixing it with the mozzi boys all weekend, and james even came to the dark side after racing had finished on monday laugh.

Next year's going to be the best regatta yet I sense wink

Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: mitchellsailor] #207699
04/07/10 02:30 AM
04/07/10 02:30 AM
Peter_Lyons Offline
journeyman
Peter_Lyons  Offline
journeyman

Well done to the other mossie guys who were all at the front of the fleet, leaving the Lemon Peel to hang around down the back.

The Round the Island race
As the only mossie without a spinnaker it was good to have the first third of the race beating to windward. While the others got away I was able to keep near to Mitch and felt that I was making a race of it. As soon as Mitch got the kite up he was away and that was the last I saw of him. I was happy with my result of 10th out of 14 cats.

30 miler
Wow, what a race. After a light wind start the breeze filled in and we were flying. During the beat from the compass marks to the tambo river I spent at least 15 minutes on Starboard tack, on trapeze, with the hull flying most of the time. Unfortunately, when I tacked the Port side trapeze line broke and I went for a swim. I was thankful to the Stingray crew who checked on me while the boat was on its side although it only took a few mins to get Lemon Peel upright. As I still have a second set of trapeze lines rigged (for sloop sailing) I was able to continue. Matt Stone had been for a swim earlier in the race and caught me just as I got Lemon Peel going again. We had a great battle from the Tambo through to Metung where his skill and superior boat were slightly surpassed by my extra 20kg on the wire. After the Metung mark Matt got the kite up and was gone. I spent most of the run along the rear of Raymond Island trying to slow the boat down. Even sitting at the rear of the tramp the noses would disappear under the waves from time to time with the boat doing at least 10 knots (very different conditions to Sugarloaf). After rounding the mark at Pt Turner it was a beat to the finish. On a few occasions I was on the wire with the windward hull in the air and the leeward hull was out of the water back past the front beam (what goes up must come down). Thankfully it all held together and I managed a result of 4th out of 10 cats (thanks to Matt and Mitch with DNFs).

Round the Bouys Race.
The less said the better. I was just slow and I think still recovering from the day before.

Overall
I enjoyed the regatta and my patches of good performance show how good an old wooden boat can perform. The social side was excellent and I enjoyed spending time with the mossie guys and the redundant catamaran crews. Thanks again to the race control crews for all the hard work to make the regatta work.

Mossie 1822
The Unsent Letter
Put one foot after the other, cos that's how we roll.
Re: Easter at Gippsland Lakes [Re: ] #207796
04/09/10 12:59 AM
04/09/10 12:59 AM
Melbourne, Australia
MitchB Offline
MitchB  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
What a Regatta! The wind couldn't have been better, all conditions for all people!

The Redundant Catamaran Association/Club had 5 boats on the beach - All big cats, we even had to borrow a local junior to crew!

The round the island race saw a good 13-15 allowing everybody to stretch out and have a good bit of yeeha! As Gary mentioned I had a great start and put good distance on the mozzies... what he didn't mention is that I overlaid a mark by about half a mile... makeing it a mile long detour... dashed were my line honours hopes!

The 30 miler saw us take 45 minutes to get through the straights immediately after the start... With the exception of Gary you could have thrown a tea towell on the rest of the cat/tri fleet... Gary sailed brilliantly through the straight and probably had a mile lead by the compass swinging mark! 15-25 upwind to metung let us pass gary back along with the F18. After having to do some running repairs to trapeze elastic after I decided to step on mine and break it we still managed to round the mark ahead of Gary! Then up went his blue kite and he was GONE! The F18 repeatedly tried to carry their kite... but the high aspect rig couldn't quite sail the same angles as gary. We still managed to barrell down to Pt Turner having a ball!

In the end Gary, Myself, Richard/Bree (f18), and Chris/Libby (hobie20) finished fairly close to each other to round out one of the greatest days sailing I've ever had! (if not THE greatest)

Monday was just another round the bouys race!... It did however allow the Redundant cats to do a bit of crew/skipper switching... James Mare helmed half the race on the stingray, and Bree Collins helmed half the race on the F-18!

After the racing Much boat swapping occured with james taking out a mozzie, Qb3 sailors trying a stingray, Mitch trying an F18 and All of the junior sailors trying out a hobie20 AT ONCE!!! Mitchell managed to break a footstrap on the hobie as well.. first damage it has incurred ever!

Many thanks to the GLYC and the great attitude of all the cat sailors in attendance! Very much a series of fun first, racing second!

Stingray #579
GLYCish
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 247 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022