03/21/10 06:53 AM
03/21/10 06:53 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I see that the Daily sail has an interview with 2Bsailing on their website. It suggests that 2Bsailing are "aiming to revolutionize the F16 class"

http://www.thedailysail.com/dinghy/10/54687/new-goals-for-bundock-and-brouwer

Anybody here have a subscription ?

And can tell us what this is all about ? (in his own words of course)

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/21/10 06:54 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: What did 2Bsailing say on the daily sail ? [Re: Wouter] #206285
03/21/10 04:04 PM
03/21/10 04:04 PM
Switzerland
alutz Offline
enthusiast
alutz  Offline
enthusiast

Switzerland
Here U go ...
From TDS

Bundock and Brouwer's big plans
The cat guru couple are aiming to revolutionise the F16 class and send teams to that and the F18 European circuits
Wednesday March 17th 2010, Author: James Boyd, Location: Australia
After an injury put him out of action for four months last year, so Australian double Olympic Tornado silver medallist Darren Bundock has been contemplating a professional life beyond being 'just' a sailor.
“I guess we are both Carolijn [Brouwer] and I have just been pro sailors the whole time and we have always been looking for a fall-back for when the pro sailing stops, because we are both getting a bit older we realise! With professional sailing if you get an injury there is not much security there. Last year I tore all the ligaments in my knee and I was out of action for four months, pretty well unemployed.”
The cunning plan he and girlfriend Brouwer have conjured up is still wholly involved with catamarans, but covers a wide range of fronts.
While Bundock for the last few years has been sailing for Hobie Cat in F18 events, so now he has transferred his allegiance to Greg Goodall’s company Australian High Performance Catamarans (AHPC), manufacturers of the Viper F16 and its big brother, the C2 F18 catamarans.
Goodall himself is a former Tornado sailor, who for eons has run his own sailmaking business but has since made a name for himself as a catamaran manufacturer with A-Class cats and the locally successful Taipan 4.9 cats. He gained some recognition internationally for the ground breaking Capricorn F18, designed by Martin Fischer, while the latest two boats are his own design. The Viper was launched a couple of years ago while the C2 made its debut at the Salon Nautique (Paris Boat Show) in December and on its first competitive outing at the F18 Australian Nationals, claimed the top two places, Goodall and his son Brett coming home second.
“Teaming up with Australian High Performance Catamarans [AHPC] was a logical step because I have always been impressed with their products, but they have never really pushed their boats in Europe,” says Bundock, who with Brouwer is going to become the Belgium and Dutch agent for the boats.
While the C2 has proven its credentials in Australia and Bundock is set to campaign one himself on the European circuit this year, he has higher hopes for the Viper and the F16 catamaran class in general.
“The F18 circuit has always been really really big in Europe, but the F16 market hasn’t really taken off, even though it has been going for the last five years or so, which is surprising. I think a little bit to do with that is that it hasn’t had any high profile personalities in there and it hasn’t had any manufacturers pushing it either. Hobie and Nacra haven’t entered the F16 market. AHPC is the first manufacturer to move into the F16, so we want to use our names to promote it, get in there and share some knowledge as well and get them all involved."
In fact the F16 class was founded in 2001 and like the F18 is based on a box rule of:
LOA 5m (16.4ft)
Beam: 2.5m (8.2ft)
Min weight: 107kg (in doublehanded mode with main, jib and kite)
Mainsail hoist height of 8.5m
Genniker boom 3.5m
Mast and mainsail area: 15sqm
Jib: 3.7sqm
Genniker: 17.5sqm
Of course, like the F18 class, homebuilds and one-offs are a scarcity, with generally boats being production affairs. These include the 2003 generation Aussie-American conceived Blade and its Matt McDonald-designed 2009 successor, the Falcon. The predecessor to the Viper, already mentioned, the Taipan 4.9, and from the UK John Pierce’s Stealth and the Spitfire from the familiar Reg White-Yves Loday stable at Swell Catamarans.
The only place the F16 seems to have taken off to any degree is in the States and at the Global Championship last year out of Gulfport Yacht Club there were just 24 (small compared to the 180, plus more on the waiting list, for a typical F18 Worlds when they are held in Europe).

So what’s the attraction of the F16? Bundock explains: “I believe the F16 has massive potential for all the guys who are too small for an F18, because you have got to be in a 140-160kg weight range for that. So it is all the fathers-sons, boyfriends-girlfriends, women’s teams and youth teams – the Viper will help all those guys, but especially the youth – because they try and get straight into the F18, but they are basically too small for it and they struggle when there’s any breeze. A lot of them just get disheartened because they are not competitive, whereas I think the F16 and the Viper is where they should be going. If we can get some good competition and a lot of youth and a bit of coaching going, it would keep those guys interested and motivated it will all go a long way. I guess it could be a stepping stone to the F18.”
Brouwer is keen to promote the Viper/F16 as a vehicle for women in the catamaran scene, as Bundock points out: “A lot of women are sailing cats but they are in mixed crews in the F18, but basically the boat is too big for them. Everyone has been involved in the F18, because that’s where the action has been happening but we also want to get action happening in the F16 side of things and get all those women into the right boat.”
Bundock is also hoping that this will aid his ultimate aim with ISAF which is not simply to get the Tornado, or another high performance catamaran, reintroduced for the 2016 Olympic, but ultimately to have two catamaran classes in the Games.
“I guess our main thing is to put a lot more focus onto catamaran sailing, especially within ISAF as well, to bring awareness to the women’s side of things. Our long term goal is to get two multihulls in for 2020: Mens and women’s multihulls. Obviously we need to get out there and show that women are multihull sailors. Everyone knows there are plenty of men out there and within the cat community we know there are a lot of women, but it hasn’t been shown to ISAF and I guess that is mainly because they haven’t had the right boat to do that on.
“Within ISAF, the multihull scene gets a lot of criticism, that there is no stepping stone or feeder classes up to the Tornado, so we want to create that pathway. We see the Viper and the F16 as the youth boat or for the smaller people and they progress on up to the F18 as well. At the moment there are big jumps between the Hobie 16 with spinnaker, or the SL16 which they use as the youth boat, to the Tornado, so we want to bridge the gap.”

In addition to all this, Bundock and Brouwer are also trying to put together two professional teams for the F18 and F16 circuits. With the Viper F16 Bundock is calling it the ‘Young Guns Team’ which he anticipates will include four boats sailed by 15-19 year olds. “We want to do a full professional team and get those guys involved with media and professional racing and coaching and sponsors as well. That is one of our goals.” He is planning a similar approach to the F18 circuit with four sponsor-emblazoned C2s. Bundock plans to campaign a C2 while Brouwer will be on the Viper.
The aim is to do an extensive program around Europe and frankly it is quite an eye-opener just how busy such a catamaran sailing team can be just in Europe even without Olympic class regattas to go to in the Tornado.
The program starts with Eurocat in Carnac at the end of April, followed by the French F18 Nationals in mid-May, then the North Sea Regatta, the big daddy of them all - Round Texel, the Murphy & Nye regatta in Belgium followed by the 10th anniversary F18 Worlds in Erquy, near St Malo on France’s northern coast in early July. Then it will be off to Lake Como of the F16 Europeans over 18-23 July, the German Nationals at Travemunde Week.
Bundock is even contemplating the more arduous Archipelago Raid. “I have been thinking about for the last few years, but I have always found an excuse not to do it! Now I’m involved in the class for sure I’ll be there. Carolijn is itching to do it. She is into all that long distance extreme stuff.”
Then there are the Italian, Dutch and Belgium Nationals throughout August and September.
At the moment Bundock and Brouwer are looking for sponsorship for their two teams. “We are talking to a couple of potential sponsors. There seems to be a fair bit of interest in the youth side of things, which is pleasing. That is looked at more favourably, because you are giving something back to the sport and looking to the future of the sport.”
In addition to all this, there is also a possibility that Bundock will return to the Extreme 40 circuit, where aside from his time out from injury he has been helming Nick Moloney’s BT boat, although they too are currently in the hunt for a sponsor for their team.
Busy times in the cat world.

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST
Re: What did 2Bsailing say on the daily sail ? [Re: alutz] #206287
03/21/10 04:30 PM
03/21/10 04:30 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Andi.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: What did 2Bsailing say on the daily sail ? [Re: pgp] #206304
03/22/10 01:28 AM
03/22/10 01:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Andi, however I think this might be a breach of copywright. May want to delete it.

Re: What did 2Bsailing say on the daily sail ? [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #206308
03/22/10 04:27 AM
03/22/10 04:27 AM
Switzerland
alutz Offline
enthusiast
alutz  Offline
enthusiast

Switzerland
Your right about the breach of copyright crazy

But I hope people see now, that a subscription for the daily sail, is worth every penny!

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022