04/26/10 02:46 PM
04/26/10 02:46 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Karl, Matt, I would like to retract my last sentence. I was assuming USCG meant you'd be face-up, based on my reading of another post here. I've just proven (again) why assuming is such a bad idea.

I'm really more in line with what John just said. I don't care what the final decision is. And, I would never protest anyone over a PFD issue (unless as a PRO, forced by the rule regading a measurer's report, etc.).

However, I stand by what I said earlier. Unless/until the rules are changed, your best option is to follow the rules that are in place at this time. Nothing is stopping anyone from owning a USCG PFD and complying with the rules without any further issue.

And, if you're at any sort of major event, especially where you don't know all of the players, you should expect equipment protests. Part of the game...

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209556
04/26/10 02:57 PM
04/26/10 02:57 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by John Williams
Just the fact that you know what the Lusitania is (AND spelled it correctly) moved you up two more notches.

Actually I had to google it to double check my spelling, which to my great surprise was correct the first time.

What can I do to lower myself those two notches again? Its uncomfortable/kinda scary up here.

This might work:
Take a moment please, and indulge in the idea of Mr. Bounds dressed in full sailing attire, floating, face down, butt up in a pool. Now ponder the looks on the tourists face's.....

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: brucat] #209557
04/26/10 03:03 PM
04/26/10 03:03 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
I have both a CE and USCG PDF. My bags got lost on my way to the Worlds in France and I had to pick a new one up there. I prefer sailing with the European one as it is way more comfortable. I use it for all of my evening sails and most regattas when I notice others using non-USCG equip as well.

I am now on the lookout for a really comfy USCG that matches the one I like. I think it is time for new ones anyway. I replace them every couple of years. Wish I could make my own like I do my harnesses. Then they would be really nice and custom.

As I remember researching the difference I think the CE rating is 50 and the USCG is 55. I think that refers to percentage of flotation compared to the average weight of sized (S,M,L,XL) person. So the USCG would be 10% bigger, that seems like quite a bit to me, and it feels like it.

I will report if I find anything.

Later,
Dan

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Dan_Delave] #209562
04/26/10 03:27 PM
04/26/10 03:27 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by Dan_Delave
As I remember researching the difference I think the CE rating is 50 and the USCG is 55. I think that refers to percentage of flotation compared to the average weight of sized (S,M,L,XL) person. So the USCG would be 10% bigger, that seems like quite a bit to me, and it feels like it.

50 refers to newtons. 50 newtons is the smallest buoyancy aid you can get with a CE marking. Frankly this is probably not enough for long distance racers, but fine for around the buoys when a safety boat is in attendance. Hence the name "buoyancy aid".

The smallest adult US PFD, type I, is 22 lbs, aka 98 newtons. This has almost twice the buoyancy of a CE buoyancy aid and is pretty damn close to a 100 newtons CE Life Jacket. Note, those are no longer called buoyancy aid, but life jacket.

References: CE; US.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #209563
04/26/10 03:28 PM
04/26/10 03:28 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
your missing the big issue Todd

It's the stinkin throwable on an A cat....

So, my logic/ judgment ...
Yes... I am breaking the law and if stopped by the police... I will pay the fine.... It's just like a seat belt offense.... pisser.

Re the Racing Rules.

The essence of the rules is to establish the ground rules for fair competition. On a single handed catamaran... the throwable requirement has a marginal safety value. (Why wouldn't a laser need the thowable as well. the 16 foot line is arbitrary and capricious in this context) The CE versus Coast Guard approval issue has even less safety value.

My observation is that the class members ignore this prescription.... therefore, I choose to fall in line with the class philosophy.

Is the CE vest a performance advantage... probably.. but I don't think the intention of the rules extends to mandating personal gear restrictions ... (what next... a glove rule).
Again, I choose to fall in line with the class philosophy.

Therefore, my personal choice is to judge that I am not gaining an unfair advantage and I am also consistent with the class culture in not enforcing that prescription on my competitors.

If protested by a class member who does not exercise good judgment, I will dsq myself before the hearing and allow the class members to deal with the aftermath.

If the PRO or RC protests me... I will dsq myself and never return to the event.

As I noted... good judgment is needed all around...

This prescription is an issue of the rules ONLY when someone elevates it to the level. Sailboat racing is a social contract between competitors and Race management ... the game is bound by the OD class rules, the RRS, Prescriptions AND GOOD JUDGMENT.

If the class you sail in does not have members with good judgment... instead of changing the vest... change the class or switch to a class with no fools!

FYI, Rules can be ADDED (not just ignored) ..
CRAC dealt with distance racing equipment rules in a similar manner.

We have no authority or wisdom to counter or supersede coast guard regulation. Moreover, we have no off shore safety gear requirements for beach cat racing. However, We do specify a list of gear for distance races and you will be dsq if you don't have it on a spot check.

Our solution... We simply require a specified list of gear to race...If we insisted you tape a kewpie doll to your boom... So be it... If that required hand held radio gear proves useful to you as you drift demasted out there... Wow...what a coincidence!

Again... it's both the rules... AND the culture of good judgment that makes it work.

One of fleet members was dsq'd for not following these rules in the past.

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 04/26/10 03:36 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: pepin] #209564
04/26/10 03:41 PM
04/26/10 03:41 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by Dan_Delave

50 refers to newtons. 50 newtons is the smallest buoyancy aid you can get with a CE marking. Frankly this is probably not enough for long distance racers, but fine for around the buoys when a safety boat is in attendance. Hence the name "buoyancy aid".

The smallest adult US PFD, type I, is 22 lbs, aka 98 newtons. This has almost twice the buoyancy of a CE buoyancy aid and is pretty damn close to a 100 newtons CE Life Jacket. Note, those are no longer called buoyancy aid, but life jacket.

References: CE; US.

Mmmm. Not quite. The type almost universally worn is a USCG Type III, which has only 15.5 lbs = 69 newtons of flotation.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: mbounds] #209566
04/26/10 03:59 PM
04/26/10 03:59 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Thanks, Matt - I was in the middle of comparing gear. You saved me the time.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Mark Schneider] #209568
04/26/10 04:41 PM
04/26/10 04:41 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Re the Racing Rules.
The essence of the rules is to establish the ground rules for fair competition...

Right

My observation is that the class members ignore this prescription.... therefore, I choose to fall in line with the class philosophy...

A personal choice that could land you in the room if there are sailors at the event who do not prescribe to this chosen philosophy…

Therefore, my personal choice is to judge that I am not gaining an unfair advantage and I am also consistent with the class culture in not enforcing that prescription on my competitors…

That would actually be up to the jury to decide. Trust me, no one wants to be in these protests, including the judges.

If protested by a class member who does not exercise good judgment, I will dsq myself before the hearing and allow the class members to deal with the aftermath…

Yeah, let it be someone else’s problem… Please…
Actually, the correct scoring would be RAF, and the jury may elect to hear the protest anyway, which could lead to a “slightly different” score.

If the PRO or RC protests me... I will dsq myself and never return to the event…

Now THAT will teach them!

As I noted... good judgment is needed all around...

I agree…

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: brucat] #209569
04/26/10 04:55 PM
04/26/10 04:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by brucat
…And, I would never protest anyone over a PFD issue (unless as a PRO, forced by the rule regarding a measurer's report, etc.).

For the avoidance of doubt:

RRS 60.2: However, when the race committee receives a report required by rule 43.1(c) or 78.3, it shall protest the boat.

RRS 43.1(c) When an equipment inspector or a measurer in charge of weighing clothing and equipment believes a competitor may have broken rule 43.1(a) or 43.1(b) he shall report the matter in writing to the race committee.

RRS 78.3 When an equipment inspector or a measurer for an event decides that a boat or personal equipment does not comply with the class rules, he shall report the matter in writing to the race committee.

So, Rule 2 aside, if your event has a measurer that is part of a culture that accepts certain rules to be broken, you won’t be likely to be protested by an RC or PC (certainly not by me), unless there is some other agenda.

We are really trained to serve the sailors, but obviously, there are things that can get out of hand. While a lot of this is common sense and good judgement is expected, this is one of the few areas of the rule book where the RC is actually required to protest.

Remember, you could always be protested by another competitor, unless there is language in the approved SIs that take away that option (as we were discussing earlier in the thread).

Mike

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: pepin] #209585
04/27/10 02:44 AM
04/27/10 02:44 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Note, those are no longer called buoyancy aid, but life jacket.

Just to clarify things to all.

Bouyancy aids are merely intended to not have you watertreading to keep your airways sufficiently above water. As such you can survive longer without wearing yourself out or when you cramp up.

Life vest are indeed a whole different category.

In my opinion it is very wise to make a differentiation between the two uses as CE has done.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: mbounds] #209587
04/27/10 04:10 AM
04/27/10 04:10 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by mbounds
Mmmm. Not quite. The type almost universally worn is a USCG Type III, which has only 15.5 lbs = 69 newtons of flotation.
Duh. Yeah, like Matt said.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: pepin] #209588
04/27/10 04:13 AM
04/27/10 04:13 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
If you looked at the rules very strictly then one of these would be allowed right?
Provided it is USCG approved obviously...
[Linked Image]

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Tony_F18] #209602
04/27/10 08:26 AM
04/27/10 08:26 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
If you looked at the rules very strictly then one of these would be allowed right?
[Linked Image]

Yup - some teams have been wearing that kind of manually inflatable PFD in the Tybee...I've got a USCG approved one I'm going to try and see if I like it. I'm a little worried about the lack of personal storage though.

(and hey! all of a sudden I can get back on here at work...wonder how long that will last?).

Jake Kohl
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Tony_F18] #209604
04/27/10 08:38 AM
04/27/10 08:38 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA

If that's a Type V PFD, then:
  1. in order to count as being on board, it must be worn, and
  2. the wearer must be 16 years or older.
Inflatable PFDs (especially automatic inflation PFDs) are not a popular choice for catsailors. They can inflate at inconvenient times - such as if you get teabagged, or snag the pull-tab on a shroud. They also need more maintenance and must be rearmed (at additional cost) after activation.

Regards,
Eric

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Jake] #209605
04/27/10 08:56 AM
04/27/10 08:56 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Jake
[Linked Image]

Yup - some teams have been wearing that kind of manually inflatable PFD in the Tybee...I've got a USCG approved one I'm going to try and see if I like it. I'm a little worried about the lack of personal storage though.

(and hey! all of a sudden I can get back on here at work...wonder how long that will last?).

I've got one and stopped using it because it's not very comfy,can accidentally deploy, and it doesn't give you any impact protection(shrouds, daggerboards ,booms). I've found I need that more lately.
Plus, Jake, everytime I can get close enough to you,on or off the boat, I'm gonna pull your ripcord.
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209608
04/27/10 09:23 AM
04/27/10 09:23 AM
Thailand
Buccaneer Offline
veteran
Buccaneer  Offline
veteran

Thailand
The PFD Conundrum is that they hinder swimming and tend to crawl up over the head when floating stationary. But true when not in use they do actually work pretty good. grin

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Tony_F18] #209610
04/27/10 10:15 AM
04/27/10 10:15 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California

I know someone who uses one of those, but he's disabled it to prevent accidental discharge. That strikes me as 1) not meeting the rule any better than a CE vest, and 2) not meeting minimum self-preservation standards.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209611
04/27/10 10:25 AM
04/27/10 10:25 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
If you get knocked out the inflatables are useless. The auto ones will deploy on a cat due to the amount of spray and a manual won't do a thing when your bell got rung. To me they are WAY less safe than a CE approved vest, yet they are deemed CG certified and if I recall the logic was they are more comfortable and users are more likely to wear them. Exactly the same argument FOR a CE approved vest.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209612
04/27/10 10:27 AM
04/27/10 10:27 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by John Williams
I know someone who uses one of those, but he's disabled it to prevent accidental discharge. That strikes me as 1) not meeting the rule any better than a CE vest, and 2) not meeting minimum self-preservation standards.
USCG regulations require PFDs to be in good working condition. If the inflator has been disabled, he is in violation of the law and the rules.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Isotope235] #209616
04/27/10 11:39 AM
04/27/10 11:39 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
The modification to a jacket issue was raised in the Tornado class at the OCR's here on catsailor a few years ago. (some flotation was removed) Photo's of the modification provided primae facia evidence.

Result.... the class culture trumped the rules in the judgment of the sailors in that class and life went on without a DSQ.

So, ... What's the problem?.... Why the photo's in the first place? Answer, The class culture is hardly transparent! The RRS, Appeals book, Prescriptions and Class rule book are down in print.... available to anyone. Class culture... not so much. The Tornado poster was not up to speed on this particular fudge at the time. In the end... it all worked out.

JW reports that he personally survey's the entries at a regatta and picks from the quiver of vests.... The solution to his conundrum is for the F18 class to exercise their collective judgment and get the word out.

Remember... the entire hullabaloo came to the fore about a DSQ at an important junior regatta where the OA made it clear before hand that they would be checking for USCG vests. The DSQ'd sailor used poor judgment in this case. The adults decided to over ride any class culture in the junior classes... One can always question their judgment.... your milage may vary. Setting the kid issues aside...

The conundrum is simply a class issue.

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022