harken furler #20965
06/15/03 10:07 PM
06/15/03 10:07 PM
Missouri
banannahead Offline OP
banannahead  Offline OP

Missouri
Thanks for the help Jack!
I had other questions also. Did your drum, (with the openings), on the furler go on the top,and attach to the jib with a clevis pin? Did you put the plate with Harken logo facing down, and did you attach the bridle wires to the flat sided shackle attached to the flat sided shaft?
That is how I attached mine, but it looks like it is upside down, the harken logo is on the bottom, and the instructions that came with it say the drum is inverted compared to the Hobie furler and the Harken logo imprint should be up, but maybe Harken just changed the placement of their logo?
Thanks again for your help!
I am now getting ready to sew new hiking straps to my tramp.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: harken furler [Re: banannahead] #20966
06/16/03 12:27 PM
06/16/03 12:27 PM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
Hello,
I mounted the Harken Furler in the conventional manner (Harken lettering up) and it worked fine that way. I would see no reason to mount it upside down. My bridle wires attached to the shackle in the photo below.
Good luck,
Jack
[Linked Image]

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: harken furler [Re: jmhoying] #20967
06/16/03 03:42 PM
06/16/03 03:42 PM
Missouri
banannahead Offline OP
banannahead  Offline OP

Missouri
Apparently someone shaved the wrong shaft on my furler and put the flat shackle on the top and not the bottom. (The shakle and clevis pin are on opposite sides when compared to yours.)
Do you think I could just put a larger shackle on the bottom for the bridle wires?, or will it cause extra stress since the bottom shaft is not shaved, (flattened), on the sides? , or should I send the furler back?
Thanks!!

Re: harken furler [Re: banannahead] #20968
06/16/03 05:57 PM
06/16/03 05:57 PM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by "shaved". I guess that you mean that the sides of the shaft are ground down to accept a narrower shackle. I don't think either end should have flattened spots on the outside of the shaft.
Jack

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: harken furler [Re: jmhoying] #20969
06/16/03 06:54 PM
06/16/03 06:54 PM
Missouri
banannahead Offline OP
banannahead  Offline OP

Missouri
Hi, I called Matt at Hobie and he says the harken furler does have the shackle on the top and that the drum is inverted, (harken logo down), but he said I could put another larger shackle on the bottom, since the one that is on top now is too narrow, so the furler is logo up.
When I said shaved I meant to say the shaft is ground down a little on two sides so the shackle fits, Matt said the ground down area would not affect anything, but I am not going to grind the other shaft down. I will get a bow shackle that will fit, (instead of a D shackle, which is on it now), so I won't have to grind down the sides of the shaft, that way it will be set up like your's, which makes more sense.
So I guess I will have to go to St. Louis to pick up a larger bow shackle and make sure everything fits right,
Hopefully I will get to sail sometime this summer!

Thanks for all the help! The photo helped me a lot!

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (windman), 470 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022