05/11/10 08:25 AM
05/11/10 08:25 AM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

I have a jib furler and want to install vertical battens (furling battens) in my jib so when I furl it, the battens don't stick out & tear.
Is this class legal?
If it's not class legal, when racing Portsmouth I can declare the modification and get an adjustment?
Class rules :
from http://www.nacraclass.com/pdf/Nacra%20Class%20Rules-03.pdf

6. SAILS AND BATTENS

6.1 CONSTRUCTION. The material, method of construction and design of the sails shall be in accordance with the sail plan. The sails for the Nacra 4.5, 4.5uni, 5.0, 5.2, 5.5 uni, 5.5 SL, 5.7, 5.8, 5.8na, 6.0na and F-18 shall be built for Nacra from patterns and sail cloth approved by Nacra. Sails shall be fabricated by builders licensed by Nacra for Nacra. Battens may be of wood, carbon, foam fiberglass. A set may consist of a combination of these types. All but the bottom batten must be used for racing (only one batten per pocket is permitted).

6.2a ALTERATIONS. The jibsail may not be recut. Windows, telltale windows, and chart pockets are optional. Class insignias may not be repositioned or altered in any manner.

6.2b SAIL REINFORCEMENT. Chaffing strips may be added to the mainsail batten pockets where they come in contact with the shrouds. Spreader patches are allowed.

6.3 LUFF ROPE. The entire mainsail luff rope must be in the mast luff grooves except where the sail extends below the bottom of the extrusion on boomless rigs.

6.4 CLEW TRAVELER. A clew traveler assembly (factory supplied) may be added to any boomless sail plan that was not equipped with one originally.

6.5 SAIL REPAIR. Any sailmaker may make minor repairs to a damaged Nacra sail. Minor repair is defined as a repair that does not alter the original shape or outline of the sail. Should a sail be so badly damaged as to require a large percentage of new material, such as a complete panel replacement, it should be returned to an INCA licensed sail maker.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: jcasto1] #210698
05/11/10 09:41 AM
05/11/10 09:41 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Yes it's class legal to change them to roller furling battens. You don't have to declare an adjustment.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: jcasto1] #210707
05/11/10 10:48 AM
05/11/10 10:48 AM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Thanks, Mike I trust your interpretation, however, for the sticklers in the audience - can you describe how you determine this?

I neglected to include the text from the class rules which says :

2.1 ....
NOTE: To doubly guard against "loophole restruction" of these fine International Class Catamarans and their potential for lasting racing pleasure, every deviation which is not specifically spelled out by plans, specifications or Design Rule is assumed illegal until approved and thus recorded in writing by those administering the Class Designing Rules.

So, can you help me figure out how one can read the rules in such a way that a modification to a jib which is not mentioned in the rules is made legal, even though rules say if it's not specifically allowed it's by definition illegal.

Perhaps you're giving an offical interpretion of the rules on behalf of NACRA, as a member of an INCA committee? Perhaps this online posting constitutes ".. recorded in writing by those administering the Class Designing Rules. That would be great if either or both were the case.

"Interpretations of these rules shall be given by Nacra in
consultation with proper committees of the International Nacra Class Association"

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: jcasto1] #210710
05/11/10 11:10 AM
05/11/10 11:10 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
My interpretation is far from official.

My opinion is that you are not adding or subtracting sail material. You are not changing the shape of the sail material. Any of these things would be a change that would be a problem

The other reason is because you can order a jib from the factory that has roller furler (vertical) battens. So you are just making your sail usable. To me this constitutes a repair type situation. You could send it to Elliot/Pattersion and they would put the same battens in.

You can order a new jib that has these types of battens.

No different to me than if you change your downhaul to make it more user freindly.

You are changing a sail to make it easier to work with. Not to gain a speed advantage. This is the key to me which makes it class legal.

They put the "loophole restriction" in to cover in case they didn't think of something to cover in the rules.

My opinion.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: Mike Hill] #210732
05/11/10 02:23 PM
05/11/10 02:23 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Thanks for letting me know this sail feature can actually be ordered from official NACRA supplier. I did not knwo that,and will call Elliot.
Cool!!

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: jcasto1] #210776
05/12/10 05:58 AM
05/12/10 05:58 AM
White Bear Lake, MN
h17racer Offline
h17racer  Offline

White Bear Lake, MN
Jim, I am curious...roller furling setup for your 5.5 or 5.7? Mine is a 5.5U. I've wondered about adding a jib.

Tom G
5.5 Uni

Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: h17racer] #210824
05/12/10 12:49 PM
05/12/10 12:49 PM
Austin, TX
BoK Offline
BoK  Offline

Austin, TX
Jim,
Is the NA jib foil legal on the 5.7? It does look good!

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

Bo Kersey
Corsair 31-1D 276
Re: NACRA class rules - jib battens [Re: h17racer] #210891
05/12/10 10:11 PM
05/12/10 10:11 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

I got a foil and jib for my 5.5 uni, so I could also sail it as a sloop sometimes. But, since the 5.5 jib is SO large, I also got a furler & modified that jib with vertical battens.
I haven't really sailed the 5.5 much as a sloop, primarily because I wasn't really used to being nice to crew (uni sailor for too long), also because I wasn't very good at sailing with a jib (uni sailor too long), and just when I started to like the idea of sailing a sloop-rigged boat, I ended up finding a really great N5.7.

Now, it seems like I've been sailing the 5.7 more than the 5.5uni. First I raced Ruffriders, then some off-the-beach regattas, the 5.7 became my "surf boat", and the uni is the "lake cat". But now the uni is upside down & stripped, waiting for some gelcoat on the bottom to make it shiny.

I have also tried the (5.5) bow foil on the 5.7, for two reasons :
1) I sail the 5.7 a lot singlehanded, so I like to be able to furl the 5.7 jib. But, the jib furler I have makes the jib seem too high, so by using the foil, I can keep the bottom of the jib at the same height as if I had regular wires, and still have a furler. I don't think anyone minds the extra weight I carry around with that foil, but they might.

2) Photos : I can more easily mount a waterproof camera on the foil, set to take pictures every minute or so. Got some great action shots of nephews & nieces on summer vacation going through the surf. Also a nice set of images while sailing on Lake Buchanan from Black Rock Park all the way the waterfall (bet I was the first to do that).

Anyway I guess the answer about a jib for the 5.5uni - yes, it works, but it makes it quite a different boat. When I got the joib, I only really considered one option - the std 5.5sloop jib plus foil. (for sale, if you're interested). In hindsight, there was another option I should have considered - getting a spinnaker for the uni (with or without a small self-tacking jib). i.e. making it kind of like a F17. Oh well.

Last edited by jcasto1; 05/12/10 10:13 PM.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022