Hop To
Slip to Ship regatta #210568
05/09/10 07:58 PM
05/09/10 07:58 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Wing nut Offline OP
Wing nut  Offline OP

Ocean Springs, MS
Ocean Springs Yacht Club plans to host the 35th annual Slip to Ship regatta "Tradition" on Memorial day weekend come hell or oily water. We at OSYC are keeping a good eye on the oil spill and we are hoping the worst case scenario for the regatta is that we may not be able to sail out to Ship Island as scheduled. If this is the case we plan on having an alternate race course for Saturday but there will be racing, a raffle, camaraderie, beer, chicken, live music and tall tales of regattas past.

You can register on line at our website www.osyc.com under sailboat racing. The late registration fee has been waived and a full refund is available if we are unable to hold the regatta due to the oil. Keep in mind that the oil sheen is miles off shore and no one will be asked to sail their boat in oil. Early on line registration is very important tool in planning a successful regatta so please register as soon as possible.

The date of the race is Memorial Day weekend (May 29th and 30th) and anyone who can stick around to Monday we may just throw in another day of buoy racing. See the NOR on the OSYC website for more details.

Andrew
"I'm a luffer not a footer"
NACRA F17 #136
HOBIE 18 MAGNUM #22
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: Wing nut] #210570
05/09/10 08:14 PM
05/09/10 08:14 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Wing nut Offline OP
Wing nut  Offline OP

Ocean Springs, MS
Make that 25th annual not 35th

Andrew
NACRA F17 #136
HOBIE 18 MAGNUM #22
Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: Wing nut] #210717
05/11/10 12:39 PM
05/11/10 12:39 PM
Clinton, Mississippi
rattlenhum Offline
rattlenhum  Offline

Clinton, Mississippi
I'm all in and keepin' the faith, brother!

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi
Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: rattlenhum] #210783
05/12/10 07:11 AM
05/12/10 07:11 AM
Chattanooga, TN
jody Offline
jody  Offline

Chattanooga, TN
We will be there with both boats and some lighters to help with the oil.

Jody Blade F16 724 Plays with Sharp Objects
Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: jody] #211245
05/17/10 06:46 AM
05/17/10 06:46 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
Goclaw Offline
journeyman
Goclaw  Offline
journeyman

Ocean Springs, MS
As the regatta coordinator, I wanted to put in my two cents. Okay there in. We are definitely excited about the event. While I realize there is much trepidation about "oil in the gulf", we have been very fortunate to date. Absent the appearance or "sheen" or actual crude, we are a definite go. Music will be offered by Rhythym and Rain an excellent local band. The winds have been very nice out of the south and west. Plan on a great weekend with friends old and new.

PLEASE DO REGISTER. You can wait on paying, but sign up on line. I want to make sure that we have enough food and beverages for the sailors. Also, the awards this year are KICK butt! I hope to see you at the club and on the water.

In Sailing,

Ken Altman
Vice Commodore OSYC

Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: Goclaw] #211803
05/24/10 07:21 PM
05/24/10 07:21 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Wing nut Offline OP
Wing nut  Offline OP

Ocean Springs, MS
Me, Ken and a few other club members sailed out to Horn Island this past Saturday and I can confirm that there is no oil to be found. Everyone load up your boats and head down this weekend we are very concerned that this race and Horn Island Hop may be our last chance to sail out to the barrier islands for a while and we would love to have a big turnout... maybe we can take a picture of all the boats on the island and put it on the tee shirt for horn island hop and put a caption "Who needs oil anyway?"

Andrew
NACRA F17 #136
HOBIE 18 MAGNUM #22
Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: Wing nut] #211925
05/26/10 11:43 AM
05/26/10 11:43 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
Goclaw Offline
journeyman
Goclaw  Offline
journeyman

Ocean Springs, MS
Hi everyone,

We are looking forward to another terrific Slip to Ship this weekend. Looking at the marine forecast as of today, winds are forecast on Saturday to be out of the NW at 5-10 kts. Sunday's forecase is out of the W at 5-10kts. Should be plenty of wind for competitive sailing.

I have received several inquiries about oil and the Islands. As of today, no change. The oil is 60 miles away and the Islands remain open. Me and 4 other boats sailed to Horn Island last weekend and it was beautiful. If you know someone who is aprehensive, tell them to sign up now. 30 boats is fine, 50 would be awesome.

Robbie Holstead will be cooking his cajun fare extrodinaire and we are lowering the food prices for extra meals down to $6.00 from $8.00. If you have already paid the $8.00 let us know and we will give you extra raffle tickets to make up the difference. Also, if you paid the late fee, I will put in for a refund for you.

We will have several special awards to give out as well as the Round Dear Perpetual. We will also have a great local band to entertain you on Saturday night.

As always, tents are permitted and a good time required.

As to the course, we will be providing the GPS coordiantes for the finish boat near the eastern tip of east ship Island (Race 1) at the competitors meeting.

Race 3 (Round Dear). The large range marker is no more. After being damaged in the Hurricanes last year, it has been removed. To keep consistency in the race, we will station a chase boat at the former location of the large range marker. An Orange Cylinder will be dropped as well. Competitors must round the Orange cylinder to port. Race 3 will remain the same in all other respects.

Re: Slip to Ship regatta [Re: Goclaw] #212081
05/27/10 04:43 PM
05/27/10 04:43 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Goclaw Offline
journeyman
Goclaw  Offline
journeyman

Ocean Springs, MS
UPDATE....HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!!!

For those of you who are Jimmy Buffett parrot heads or watch Jimmy Kimmel, you will know Ilo Ferreira. Ilo has been a special guest touring with Jimmy Buffett and has exploded on the national scene. He knows our band for this weekend, Rhythm and Rain and has agreed to come play at the Ocean Springs Yacht Club!! Saturday night. The music and festivities will start at 5:00 p.m. with Ilo, and will roll right into Rhythm and Rain after he is done. You can find out more information about Ilo at http://www.iloferreira.com/. Rhythm and Rain info is at http://www.rhythmandrain.com/.

Don't miss this one...you will kick yourself....... READ BELOW AS WELL!

Ken

Come on in, the water is fine. Remember, this Saturday and Sunday is the Slip to Ship Regatta open to all boats 16' or larger. If you have not registered already, please go to the web site www.osyc.com and do so.

Finally, this year, we will raffling off a great variety of sailing stuff, gift certificates, meals and lodging sure to please.

I'll see you at the club,

Sail Fast, Live Strong

Ken

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022