06/22/03 01:15 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Orion Offline OP
stranger
Orion  Offline OP
stranger

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi,
I have owned a 1986 H16 for almost a year now. Living in Milwaukee, WI, I sail on Lake michigan out of the harbor. This requires dry-docking and this is where my question stems:
Does anyone have any experience raising/lowering/launching catamarans (especially H16's) on cranes? I did this quite a few times last year without much trouble. I rigged my own lifting harness using 4 lines connected to one carabiner which attack to webbing straps which hold each pontoon. However, this year I installed a Hobie Bob and have experienced much difficiculty with the boat blowing in the wind.... wanting to tip on the crane...ect. I am lengthening the ropes and hoping to change the center of gravity..... move it lower... but am wondering is there anything else which might lessen the effects of Hobies' terrible aerodynamics. The boat sails great but doesn't fly quite as well. I know this is kind of a strange question... and possibly a difficult one to answer but please give me any advice you might have.

Thanks,
Orion

Orion Litzau -1984 H16- Great Lakes Sailin'
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Lifting [Re: Orion] #21253
07/21/03 08:05 PM
07/21/03 08:05 PM
L
laiuppa Offline
stranger
laiuppa  Offline
stranger
L

You've probably figured out a better method by now, but having 2 lines to grab from the dock, one on each of the pylons on one side of the boat, in addition to your 4 point crane harness, would give you 3 points of attachment. You're probably doing this already, but in case not. I am curious though about raising and lowering sails when launching form a crane. Do you do that on the water, or leave them on and then hook up to the crane? Seems like the jib in particular would be a real pain to try and raise in the water. I sail off of Evanston beach and there were a few times I got caught out in some very heavy stuff and thought of dropping the front sail or reefing, but realized it would be almost impossible to do in a big blow. I guess floating at the dock it might be manageable.

Re: Lifting [Re: laiuppa] #21254
07/25/03 08:48 PM
07/25/03 08:48 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Orion Offline OP
stranger
Orion  Offline OP
stranger

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi,
Well I actually solved my problems by making all the roped longer which lowered the boat's center of gravity relative to the mast. Then I used bow and stern lines to control the boat in the air. They worked really well and now with a few people to hold the lines and stuff lifting on the crane goes much better and is quite easy.
Thanks for the response,

Re: Lifting [Re: Orion] #21255
07/25/03 08:50 PM
07/25/03 08:50 PM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Orion Offline OP
stranger
Orion  Offline OP
stranger

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Oh yeah, and I usually try to attach the jib on land and leave it hooked up when on the crane but in really heavy stuff it has to be hooked up on the dock which is very difficult and takes good hands. The main always goes on at the dock. Anyway, have some great sailing.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 543 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022