06/29/10 09:30 AM
06/29/10 09:30 AM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline OP
addict
Matt M  Offline OP
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Rules are there to provide an even playing field and some degree of safety. More importantly they provide the rough framework from which you should develop the tactics you employ on the race course.

Rules are not a sword but a shield as has been pointed out many a time. Unfortunately there are those who try to use rules to generate situations. This is supposed to be fun for 99% of us and these are the guys who can ruin that experience and usually are the ones then creating those “dangerous” situations. From Pepin’s post earlier, I would not want to be on the water with either of those involved. 1) The guy who comes in off the water and his first question is about protesting….. 2) the leeward boat being passed by a much faster spin boat rounding up is losing ground and keeping the faster boat in his air for longer – he needs talked to as he potentially made a dangerous situation that was tactically a bad move as well rights or not.

Anytime there is another boat on the water, and that includes the random spectator, you should be prepared to maneuver to avoid conflict, even if you are in the right. I have seen almost as many bad moves becoming dangerous by people with rights as by people without, whether it is from ignorance or bad boat handling skills. If you cannot handle your boat properly, you should not place yourself in a situation where there could be damage, even if you have “rights” according to the rules. (And yes you can tack a spin boat with the spin up single handed, – I do not recommend it for the stress it entails or the potential damage to the sail though)

When I first started racing, a couple of the local hot shots were talking around the fire and one of the things they said really strikes home here. They said they could always tell who of the new sailors were going to be good just buy the questions they asked. Those that came off the water and asked about rigging and rules were not ever going to present a challenge on the water. Those that came in after a race and asked questions about tactics would be winning races very quickly.

Rules or not you need to know how to recognize it before it is a “situation” and avoid it to your advantage.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What good are rules? [Re: Matt M] #214889
06/29/10 09:53 AM
06/29/10 09:53 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Matt M
Rules are there to provide an even playing field and some degree of safety. More importantly they provide the rough framework from which you should develop the tactics you employ on the race course.

Rules are not a sword but a shield as has been pointed out many a time. Unfortunately there are those who try to use rules to generate situations. This is supposed to be fun for 99% of us and these are the guys who can ruin that experience and usually are the ones then creating those “dangerous” situations. From Pepin’s post earlier, I would not want to be on the water with either of those involved. 1) The guy who comes in off the water and his first question is about protesting….. 2) the leeward boat being passed by a much faster spin boat rounding up is losing ground and keeping the faster boat in his air for longer – he needs talked to as he potentially made a dangerous situation that was tactically a bad move as well rights or not.

Anytime there is another boat on the water, and that includes the random spectator, you should be prepared to maneuver to avoid conflict, even if you are in the right. I have seen almost as many bad moves becoming dangerous by people with rights as by people without, whether it is from ignorance or bad boat handling skills. If you cannot handle your boat properly, you should not place yourself in a situation where there could be damage, even if you have “rights” according to the rules. (And yes you can tack a spin boat with the spin up single handed, – I do not recommend it for the stress it entails or the potential damage to the sail though)

When I first started racing, a couple of the local hot shots were talking around the fire and one of the things they said really strikes home here. They said they could always tell who of the new sailors were going to be good just buy the questions they asked. Those that came off the water and asked about rigging and rules were not ever going to present a challenge on the water. Those that came in after a race and asked questions about tactics would be winning races very quickly.

Rules or not you need to know how to recognize it before it is a “situation” and avoid it to your advantage.

Agreed.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: What good are rules? [Re: scooby_simon] #214892
06/29/10 10:24 AM
06/29/10 10:24 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

All depends on the class and the level of the event.

There are plenty of classes and events (notably, team racing) where rules as a weapon are entirely an accepted part of the game.

In Hobie sailing, all I can say is that while we are sticklers for rules, one of my most important quotes comes from Wally Myers from several years ago. He simply won't put himself into a situation that would result in a protest. For the most part, that just means sailing around groups that are messing each other up, which is always faster anyway.

That's not to say he's a wuss on the course, quite the contrary, he can be very intimidating. However, he's usually at the front of the fleet, and in the situations where he's playing catch-up, he's more focused on speed to pass the fleet rather than mixing it up with rules.

The class culture helps a lot too. In Hobie racing, there's rarely contact and people often voluntarily do circles when they foul. If not, a polite discussion on the beach usually sets the tone for newbies.

In Opti racing, bumper boats (where no one ever spins) is the norm, to the point that protests are sometimes disallowed over validity, regardless of contact. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that concept...

Mike

Re: What good are rules? [Re: scooby_simon] #214893
06/29/10 10:27 AM
06/29/10 10:27 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Jeez, I'm going to stop asking questions about rules smile

For the record Matt, I do agree with you. I did a mistake getting so close, learned my lesson and will not do it again. And rules was not the first discussion we had at the bar, the first *was* about tactics as my opponent won this race by 22 seconds because he made a far better tactical choice than I did (he did follow the reservoir wall where I went for the middle and he had more pressure and a lift!)

Re: What good are rules? [Re: pepin] #214899
06/29/10 10:57 AM
06/29/10 10:57 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Rules? Last one alive, wins.

Re: What good are rules? [Re: ] #214903
06/29/10 11:14 AM
06/29/10 11:14 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Matt good words man. Specially those that use the rules to put others in a jeopardizing situation. Even if you have ROW why risk safety?

I myself have pushed the boundaries I think we are all guilty of it one time or another, but as long as we can learn from those mistakes its all good.

Its bad of those who continue to push the envelope even further. This is why I sail and prefer to prevent a rules situation. Although that can be impossible at times, Ide rather prevent than lament.

Re: What good are rules? [Re: ] #214904
06/29/10 11:23 AM
06/29/10 11:23 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by xanderwess

I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy a dozen waves, set a really small course, and those will be the rules.
Maybe a couple of rules:
1.1 No hitting of rudder parts
1.2 Quitchyerbitchin'

I'm boatless.
Re: What good are rules? [Re: Matt M] #214908
06/29/10 12:03 PM
06/29/10 12:03 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
Have you ever walked down the street and tried to avoid a head-on collision with a pedestrian coming the other way, you both try and get out of each others way by dodging the same way, then do the same the other way. Eventually one of you decides to stop dodging and the other dodges and you can both carry on.

Its very dangerous to have 2 boats avoiding each other, one has to has rights and the other do the dodging.

I would hate to be on the water with someone that is ignoring the rules...

Last edited by TEAMVMG; 06/29/10 12:04 PM.

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: What good are rules? [Re: TEAMVMG] #214909
06/29/10 12:07 PM
06/29/10 12:07 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
+1

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: What good are rules? [Re: Matt M] #214910
06/29/10 12:10 PM
06/29/10 12:10 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
We've ALL used the rules to gain a tatical advantage. A simple port/starboard works well to protect the right side of the course.

Who doesn't use "mark room" to keep the inside overlap advantage.

Yes, there are situations that enforcing your ROW rights doesn't work in your favor but to imply it never works in your favor or the top sailors don't exercise the rules to gain a tatical advantage is just not correct.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: What good are rules? [Re: ] #214912
06/29/10 12:13 PM
06/29/10 12:13 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by xanderwess

person with the most toys wins....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: What good are rules? [Re: Matt M] #214918
06/29/10 01:14 PM
06/29/10 01:14 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Matt M

That's a rule to win races!!!! Situational awareness!!!!

Kris Hathaway

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022