07/30/10 10:13 AM
07/30/10 10:13 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
I commend the job being done with the Alter Cup. A lot of volunteerism and dedication has resulted in several years of exciting racing. Each year the members behind the scene tweek the event into a better, and better, and even better event. WTG and keep it up!

The area Cs cancellation was best summed up by Mark....plus the economy and ...shortish notice.

Last year's area Cs'qualifier had a strong registration because it piggy-backed on an existing annual event at a club with +40 beachcats. Consequently, there was a core group that were going compete even though it usurped an OD/foruma event. Unfortunately, participation was hampered by "really ugly" weather.

With the growth of formula fleets, we may be approaching a time to revisit the qualifier methodology.....However, that is beyond the scope of this thread.

Kris Hathaway
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: pgp] #216780
07/30/10 11:12 AM
07/30/10 11:12 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Originally Posted by pgp
Why not bring the multihull committee out into the light? Rick could probably arrange something if there was any real interest.

I'm not quite sure what committee your referring to.

Pete, they are doing a great job. I am sure they would welcome your comments.
http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship/Committee.htm

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: H17cat] #216783
07/30/10 11:21 AM
07/30/10 11:21 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It might be interesting to read through the minutes to see what ground has been previously covered.

Last edited by pgp; 07/30/10 11:32 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: H17cat] #216792
07/30/10 02:06 PM
07/30/10 02:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by H17cat
Originally Posted by pgp
Why not bring the multihull committee out into the light? Rick could probably arrange something if there was any real interest.

I'm not quite sure what committee your referring to.

Pete, they are doing a great job. I am sure they would welcome your comments.
http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship/Committee.htm

4 out of 7 of those council members have participated in this thread so far. The members of that committee are many of the same people involved in this forum and that we participate in regattas with regularly. You need only to open your eyes to "see the light" {chuckle}

Jake Kohl
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Jake] #216794
07/30/10 02:28 PM
07/30/10 02:28 PM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I think the way the current championships is run is top notch. I've had the priviledge of attending a few Alter Cups and they are always really enjoyed by the participants.

I think the only thing that really hurts the area qualifiers is the requirement for the crew to be a member of US Sailing. Many crews just arn't that serious and that causes the skipper to have to buck up an extra 40-50 bucks on top of the regatta fee and his membership. Many skippers wouldn't be members of US Sailing if it were not for the Alter Cup. I still see the Alter Cup as the one true benefit by being a member. (Even though I know US Sailing gives no money to the event but just a name).

My hat's off to the organizers and volunteers for this event. They get nothing but pain from everyone and yet the continue to put on a great event. Also a big thanks to the Manufacturer's who put up the boats.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Jake] #216795
07/30/10 02:31 PM
07/30/10 02:31 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You win.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: pgp] #216800
07/30/10 04:54 PM
07/30/10 04:54 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
can you take an existing (popular) regatta and piggy back the qualifier on it as well? At least then you'd have the attendees...

Jay

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: waterbug_wpb] #216801
07/30/10 05:16 PM
07/30/10 05:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
can you take an existing (popular) regatta and piggy back the qualifier on it as well? At least then you'd have the attendees...

Yes, but the current prescription is that those bidding for the AC qualifier should have their own start.

Last edited by Jake; 07/30/10 05:17 PM.

Jake Kohl
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: waterbug_wpb] #216803
07/30/10 05:35 PM
07/30/10 05:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
You are missing the problem.

the large majority of racers simply don't care about the Alter Cup qualifier.... its last on the list of events to attend.

In your example.
When given a choice at a popular regatta between a one design class race and a handicap race for the Alter Cup slot the overwhelming majority of sailors will choose the One design Race.

They do not value the Alter Cup Qualifier Slot, a regional interclass championship or the differences in handicap racing. ... So, it's just another local regatta and the strings attached are unacceptable ( don't forget USSA membership)and last on the priority of regattas to attend list.

Basically, they know they will have the most fun racing one design and so WHY should they waste the weekend doing something they don't like?

Either we find a way to make the handicap regatta valuable and interesting to the average racer so that they replace a one design event with the handicap event and show up ... or we dump the qualifiers in areas where we just don't care to play.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Mark Schneider] #216804
07/30/10 06:12 PM
07/30/10 06:12 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Hi,

I'm a "Area C" resident/competitor ..... and the owner of one of the two last "Open" class boats in the area that Mark mentioned .... so why didn't I go????

For me the biggest hurtle is the "US Sailing" membership requirement for the crew .... it's tough enough to find crew ... any crew .... but now I have to find someone who is a US Sailing member also .... now I am a US Sailing member myself but both my boats are two-up ... a TheMightyHobie18 and a P19MX ... so I need crew.

And since I have only very limited employment currently .... $$$$$'s are a issue ....

And one more very personal reason ..... everytime I've gone to the Jersey Shore for pleasure in the recent years .... my friends or I ... or I've witnessed someone being "taxed" by some local police officer in the form of a ch_cken-sh_t ticket .... last year was my turn ... for not wearing my seatbelt ... no NJ license plates were pulled over ...only "out-of state" plates were pulled over and ticketed. It's all about generating revenue for the politions spending ... So personally I have better places to go and spend my $$$$'s then NJ .... added to that fact also is that the only thing cheap in NJ is the gas as the hotels/motels/campsites are too expensive anymore ... (property taxes are very high!!!!)

Harry

So to the residents of NJ .... get your Cops/Polititions under control if you want me to come and play .... w/ my $$$$$'s!!!!!!!

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: HMurphey] #216806
07/30/10 06:27 PM
07/30/10 06:27 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Harry... you have been saving that NJ rant for 10 years....
Feel better now?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Mark Schneider] #216810
07/30/10 08:11 PM
07/30/10 08:11 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Mark,

I don't get to vote in NJ ... so the only way I can have any influence in NJ is to take my $$$'s to Maryland or Delaware or Hatteress ....

Oh by the way I have a "issue" w/ Philadelphia 's Parking Authority you don't even have to go in the city .... they send you tickets in the mail saying pay the fine or else ... my father got one in January when we could prove that he was sitting in the dentists chair having a root canal done ... the PPA said "Just pay the ticket and come in-town for a hearing" .... $$$$$'s and time .... we finally got it squashed by our state rep when he saw the dentists noterized letter ...

I paid that NJ ticket but swore no more NJ for me ...

Past Incidences:
2007- Had Bill Mest pulled over directly in front of me on the way to Shore Acres Regatta for speeding ... we were doing 48-50mph in a 50mph zone ... ask Megan, she was sitting beside me in the truck and witnessed the event
2008/Labor Day- Meet Triple Threat in CapeMay to help bring her home .... Taxi had to go through "Traffic Check-Point Stop/SeatBelt ... 93 tickets issued .... not a single in-state plate ... all tickets to "Out-of State" plates ... whats the statistical probibility of that????
2008/LaborDay: Sitting on Triple Threat in CapeMay Harbor .... Marine Police stopping every boat for "Safety Check" ... lots of tickets written/observed through binoculars ....most boat's had "out-of-state" registrations ....
2009: Given ticket for not wearing my seatbelt while numerous NJ tagged cars went by w/ the drivers not wearing their seatbelts ... only "out-of-state vehicles pulled over ....

Told NJ State Trooper (personal friend) of my observations .... was laughed at ... "that's the way it is in NJ" ....

so ... I DON"T DO NEW JERSEY ANYMORE ......

And how close do I live to NJ???? I even grew up on the NJ Shore spending time every summer at my grandfather's house in Villas NJ .... until my 30's .... started sailing "Cats" at Stone Harbor/122st Beach ... very 1st Hobie event, Wildwood Regatta/"B" Fleet Regatta 1984(?) ....

I refuse to give anymore of my HARDEARNED $$$$'s to a bunch of corrupt NJ cops and Pol's !!!!!

How many Area C Alter Cup Eliminations have I attended?????

How many Div11 Regatta's have I attended in NJ recently????

See any pattern???????

Call me "Hard-Headed" .... but I want fairness and justice for ALL ... not just those w/ NJ license plates when in NJ .....

So I want people to know ... it's not all the Alter Cup format .... but (personally for me) .... location ... location ... location !!!!!!!!

That's just the way it is for me .....

Harry

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: HMurphey] #216816
07/30/10 10:03 PM
07/30/10 10:03 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Mark????

Did you forget about the $32.00 in tolls to get from Maryland to New Jersey on I95 .....

So the next time the Alter Cup Area C Eliminations are in Del or Maryland ... I'll go .... just never, ever, New Jersey !!!!!!

I have found more then enough sailing/racing on the Cheaspeake w/o all the potential hassles .... so who needs to go to New Jersey ..... Snookie???? FYI: She just got arrested today by the way ..... in NewJersey

Ya ... (rightly or wrongly) ... that's great for tourism .....

Harry

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: HMurphey] #216819
07/31/10 12:25 AM
07/31/10 12:25 AM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

Originally Posted by HMurphey
Mark????

So the next time the Alter Cup Area C Eliminations are in Del or Maryland ... I'll go .... just never, ever, New Jersey !!!!!!

I have found more then enough sailing/racing on the Cheaspeake w/o all the potential hassles .... so who needs to go to New Jersey .....
Harry

Wow, way to kick up the stoke for any regatta. Yea, Jersey sux, I got pulled over here once too- boo hoo. Ummm, don't know where to go with that one. I was signed up for the Alter cup qualifiers, actually wanted to give it a go at the qualifier and potentially go to the finals, but I guess I just gave a donation to US Sailing. Maybe if it was in MD more people would have shown up. Fact of the matter is the venue is one of the best on the East Coast and it's a shame it has been cancelled. This weekend probably isn't going to go off for wind, but Trixies is one hell of a spot, thermal rocked on Wednesday . Too bad it's New Jersey, then maybe some folks would have signed up - get real. I personally know several NJ
State troopers and they are amongst the most upstanding indivduals I've ever met. Perhaps next time you should just wear your seat belt. Hopefully next year they'll pick a spot that works out OK for Harry.

sm

Last edited by srm; 07/31/10 07:35 AM.
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: HMurphey] #216820
07/31/10 02:19 AM
07/31/10 02:19 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Just to add a note on Mark and Harry. They both did an outstanding job on the Rock Hall Junior Olympics. They got the Multihulls, H-16, into the Junior Olympics for the first time. Got Matt Bounds to be the PRO, who also judged the event, secured Wally Meyers for the Guest Expert seminar, etc. Mark did all the scoring for all sailors, Harry drove over 600 miles one day, bringing Jim Glanden's H-16 down for my grandson to sail, and an RV for Matt to stay in.

They both do a lot for Cat Sailing, but Harry, do wear your seat belt, we want to keep you around.

Caleb

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: H17cat] #216823
07/31/10 06:15 AM
07/31/10 06:15 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Guys,

Thank You for the compliments ....

But New Jersey's leaders have to learn that their actions are not helping their tourism industry w/ their attitude of "milk the tourists for all they got and then some ...."

And I didn't even mention that after you run the guantlet of over zealous law enforcement officials .... the too expensive hotels/motels/campingsites ... and you do finally get out on the water to race .... then there are the "Power Boaters" .... hundreds and hundreds of them charging all over Barneget Bay .... every which way .... making the bay a "washing machine" .... passing with-in feet of you on their way somewhere .... it's not enjoyable trying to race when all you hear are loud engines and fear getting run over as you try to pound through power boat chop .... imagine +100 Cigarette/Speed boats racing down Barneget Bay ... w/ photo helicopter .... charging straight at you ... going throught your race course ..... that was several years ago ...

.... no more for me .....

Bob Bergsted is a GREAT person and a truely nice guy .... Trixie's in the fall is a lovely spot to sail when all the power boaters go home to watch football .... just not in the summer ....

Harry

Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: HMurphey] #216829
07/31/10 09:49 AM
07/31/10 09:49 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
HARRY....Put on your SEATBELT!

I will not read your reply, because there is not a reply worth reading...if your life isn't worth it your meatballs are. Are you not important to your niece?

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Kris Hathaway] #216831
07/31/10 10:28 AM
07/31/10 10:28 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
"Last year's area Cs'qualifier had a strong registration because it piggy-backed on an existing annual event at a club with +40 beachcats. Consequently, there was a core group that were going compete even though it usurped an OD/foruma event. Unfortunately, participation was hampered by "really ugly" weather."

One correction if I may...it was not a od/formuma event in the previous two or three years...it was a open class event with one start. It was a perfect fit.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Chris9] #216837
07/31/10 12:48 PM
07/31/10 12:48 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
About the whole Alter Cup entrance requirements, do they not already take National Champ. from each class, (F18's, Hobie 16, A Cat, etc.) and add to that list all the Area Qualifier winners?

If so, good. If not, why not? Or are the class champions the ones who are the "petition" entrants?

Blade F16
Re: Area C Qualifier is cancelled due to lack of interest [Re: Timbo] #216838
07/31/10 01:26 PM
07/31/10 01:26 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Seek and ye shall find.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 654 guests, and 156 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022