08/11/10 09:43 PM
08/11/10 09:43 PM
J
JACKFLASH Offline OP
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

I just recently aquired an older Infusion that has a leak from the thru hull where the skippers trapeze bungee comes through the hull. Does any body know who this tube is sealed. I used a borescope to look in the tube and it apears to be a fiberglass tube. You cant see it from the inside because of the bulk heads. Any information would be appreciated.

Collin Casey
Infusion Platform + C2 rig and rags = one fast cookie
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: JACKFLASH] #217438
08/12/10 08:48 AM
08/12/10 08:48 AM
T
TurboCat Offline
TurboCat  Offline
T

Nice Collin! glad your back on the water so soon. I bet the infusion will treat you well. Buy a Pit bull and chain it to the tongue of the trailer.

Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: TurboCat] #217449
08/12/10 05:08 PM
08/12/10 05:08 PM
J
JACKFLASH Offline OP
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

I am still a long way off from the water. Just started the repairs to the starboard hull last night. Was getting ready to lay some glass and found my resin had cured in the can. It is less than a year old as I bought it while redoing the 18. Guess the high heat and humidity will do that to you. Anyways more is on order. I have yet to decide if I will do a total sand off of the gel coat and recoat or just do spot repairs. There are quite a few areas with "beach rash" but so far only one of them looks structural. For now I am going to do all the repairs and then reavaluate how much gel coat is left and if I should keep sanding. If I do you know it will be yellow.

Whats irking my brain is when I pressure tested the hulls there was only one leak not related to puncture incured from the abandonment and that is at the trough hull for the skippers bungee. On the out side it is an off the shelf deck trough hull. On the inboard side of the hull it is a fiber glass tube mulded into the hull. There are at least two bulk heads between the inspection port and where this is so I can't see it from the inside. I am hoping someone here will be in the know on how the Infusion is built and can tell me what there that I can't see so I can figure out a repair method. The last thing I want to do is add another inspection port and I will do what ever is neccessary to prevent having to go that route.

Collin Casey
Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: JACKFLASH] #217453
08/12/10 05:57 PM
08/12/10 05:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I was pretty sure that there were two plastic/metal through fittings that attached to either side of the hull and that a piece of tubing connected the two with some sealant on the ends. Here's a shot from the inside of a 1997 Nacra 20:

[Linked Image]

there's more views here...but they don't show the whole thing (it wasn't what I was trying to see at the time).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teamseacats/440875980/in/set-72057594056084945/

You have a couple of choices:

1) sleeve it. make a fiberglass sleeve (or find a thin aluminum one) just small enough to slide inside the tubing that is there and seal it cleanly on either side of the hull

2) remove the plastic fittings (probably will need to destroy them, install a new fiberglass sleeve and fair it to the hull (making it look special).

3) buy some new deck bushes and replace what's there. Make some tubing to go between them (but be sure to run a piece of string from side thru tubing to the other side so you can get everything gooped up with 5200 and aligned without dropping stuff into the hull. run some expendable line back and forth through it to clean up the sealant and clean up the exterior with mineral spirits.

Deck bush:
http://www.apsltd.com/c-180-pushfit-bushings-by-rwo.aspx

Jake Kohl
Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: Jake] #217456
08/12/10 06:24 PM
08/12/10 06:24 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
I liked the system of the through hull fittings on the Nacra and when I had a old tiger I installed the system. I took 2 of the plastic/metal fittings and a piece of ss tubing that I bought at the hardware store (thin wall). Drill a hole in each side of the hull then get a measurement by sticking a small rod through the 2 holes and marking it flush with the hull. I used that measurement to cut the ss tubing. The tubing and the end fittings should equal the measurement of the with of the hull. Take a piece of threaded rod and slide it inside the tubing then slide it into the hull. Take some 5200 and put on the end fittings and slide one on each side of the threaded rod. Use some nuts and washes to tighten the assembly up (you are just making a clamp with the threaded rod and nuts and washers). Let sit for a day and then remove the threaded rod and you are good to go.

Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: Dlennard] #217460
08/12/10 06:46 PM
08/12/10 06:46 PM
J
JACKFLASH Offline OP
enthusiast
JACKFLASH  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Jakes post is what I expected to see in the hull but using the bore scope I can say with absolute certainty that the rod is fiberglass at least half way through the hull. Tonight I will pull the deck bushing out and see what I see. The leak has to be stopped on way or another and with a gentle hand, a little patience, and alot of advise from you guys I am sure I will find a resolution.

Collin Casey
Re: Infusion Hull Repair Question [Re: JACKFLASH] #217462
08/12/10 07:39 PM
08/12/10 07:39 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by JACKFLASH
Jakes post is what I expected to see in the hull but using the bore scope I can say with absolute certainty that the rod is fiberglass at least half way through the hull. Tonight I will pull the deck bushing out and see what I see. The leak has to be stopped on way or another and with a gentle hand, a little patience, and alot of advise from you guys ( and a little schmutz ) I am sure I will find a resolution.

Fixed it for ya,

Have Fun

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 471 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022