Notice of Racing
A new Sailing Series for Beach Type Catamarans in the Florida Keys
(Easy to do Survey to show interest and preregistration method Included below)
(If No responses, cancelation possible)
This series is to be sponsored by The Islander Resort, Coconut Grove Sails and Canvas of Miami, and the Islander Water Sports in Islamorada, Florida. It is to be called the “Holiday Getaway Special Series”(name may be changed). Eligibility is defined in the rules below. Our objective is to give Catamaran Sailors cost effective special weekend getaways for family and sailors to sail in competition and enjoy the great Florida Keys, Oceanside.
Plans will depend on your responses.
We will plan two well spaced weekends to take advantage of low hotel rates where sailors may drop and leave their boats, and provide for family fun in the sun. If successful we will either expand into December 2010 or in an open period in 2011.
No you do not have to stay at the Islander to Race, but it is very nice and rates are right.
Our hotel rate at the Islander Resort will be set at $99 per night, and Islander Water Sports will give lower rates for family members to enjoy sunset or snorkel cruises, boat usage and other activities at the Resort. Because the series will occupy certain special days, more family fun is being considered and will depend upon response to this notice.
The Plan:
Dates: October 29 – 31, 2010 - Includes Saturday night Halloween in the Resort, activities to be determined by your responses, Including, maybe, treat or treat with designated sailors rooms (maybe a family costume party on the pool deck) Remember, you may leave in time to get back home for your own Halloween activities, on the 31st.
November 26 – 28, 2010 - Includes Thanksgiving weekend, after thanksgiving shared at home. Or come early for Thanksgiving here by reservation only.
Times: Races will be daytime after 11:00am (Maybe earlier, based upon responses) on Saturday until mid afternoon; and Sunday morning, no races beginning after 1:00pm Sunday, so families can get on the road. Racing will end in time for family activities, Saturday.
Costs: As stated above, hotel rates at $99 per night.
• Entry fee for two weekends will be $60. If one of the two dates is cancelled or the crew does elect to race for a weekend, the fee will be reduced to $40.
• In the event there is interest in special activities fees will be added for those events as shown below.
Racing rules: As always, the RRS will be in effect and observed.
• Eligibility: Any beach type catamaran up to 22 feet, to be placed into classes by the RC, based upon participants. (We will consider other requests)
• No designated class for racing will be allowed for less than 4 participating one design boats.
• Open class(es) will be used to accommodate all others.
• Individual race and series race winners will be recognized so to protect sailors who cannot make the series but wish to race individual weekend races.
• Races will be planned to race from a single starting line, but courses and starting times will be different for different types of boats (This can be modified, based upon identified requests (larger numbers, etc. ) and interest from sailors), (Some course innovations may be used, as per current US Sailing thinking):
o Spinnaker boats will race a longer triangle or multiple laps on a shorter triangle.
o A-Cats will race a windward leeward course.
o Smaller boats will race a different triangle course, still (maybe) using the same starting line, but different starting times.
o Where appropriate and applicable, multiple races will be raced each day, but finishing on Saturday to meet family time requirement above.
o Your answers in response to this NOR will help define or eliminate races to be run. If there are no responses the RC will make decisions alone, including cancellation of the entire event.
o Race PRO will be Warren Green, US Sailing CRO.
o A few Waves will be available for rent from Islander Water Sports, and there are other locations nearby for Wave rentals.
o Awards are TBD at this time, (based upon responses).
Other optional activities:
1. Boats may be left at the resort for the series. Boats may be sailed from the area while at the resort as per your wishes without charges. Ground or trailer Storage, rigged or not, will be provided, but as usual the Resort, nor other sponsors, will take responsibility for damage or losses. Sailors should never leave loose gear on boats.
2. A Halloween costume party on the pool deck from 7-9PM Saturday, October 30th, includes soft drinks for all and finger foods, and possible ‘trick or treat prizes’ . Alcohol from the bar, pay as you go, at regular rates. This option will have added costs with tickets purchased ahead at registration - $tbd adults, $tbd children over 6, free for children 6 and under. Costume prizes may be awarded (TBD, based upon responses).
3. For those who want to make Thanksgiving in the Keys, special arrangements will be made for a turkey dinner to be served on the deck at the Islander Resort, or in a meeting room if there is inclement weather. Hotel rates will be retained as above for the extra day(s). Early sign up and reservations will be required.
Responses to this NOR may alter this plan.

The following is an “Easy to do” response survey for sailors to complete and return. Simply Copy numbered item statements and paste into a “reply” email; type in answers after the colons then email your response.
wgreen53@cfl.rr.com

Survey (Please Complete to help define races and activities)
The whole event may be cancelled if there are no responses to this survey !
In response to the “Holiday Getaway Special Series” NOR, my interests are as follows:
1. Good idea? (yes or No answer) (on this and every numbered statement please add (Type in) your comment after each colon):
2. I suggest the following changes to format (Majority rule. So discussing and combining answers with others is a good idea):
3. I am definitely interested in participating in this event:
4. I expect to be racing in the following boat, (Class and status, i.e., spin or no spin):
5. I will be happy to preregister, by sending a simple email registration (found below) ( must be completed by October 8th for first race weekend):
6. My family would be interested in the Halloween night and understand there may be a reasonable added fee, (A yes or No answer will suffice):
7. My family will be interested in the Thanksgiving dinner option and we will so indicate by a early registration and with our hotel reservation, ( Yes or No answer):
8. My family is interested (not committed) to schedule a sunset cruise (others may be along) (Sailing Cat for the cruise can carry 24 pax. Dinner ashore and cruise special available) ( I will indicate my request by completing the preregistration below):
9. My family may want to schedule a snorkeling cruise (others may be along) ( I will indicate my request by completing the preregistration below):
10. Other event requests for the first weekend: (ideas: transportation for shopping trip, or special visits to other local Keys locations), your ideas welcome:
11. Other thoughts or comments you may have:

[b][b]Pre – Registration Method[/b][/b]
(Send when you are ready to commit with intent to be there)
“Easy To Do”
Simply Copy The sentences ending in colons below, and paste into a “reply” email; then type in answers after colons, then email your response.
To : wgreen53@cfl.rr.com
Please answer those which apply.
No money required until formal registration on Friday evening before racing.
Name of Skipper and Crew:
Mailing address and phone number of Skipper:
Boat Class and whether with or without Spinnaker:
Email address for notifications from RC:
I plan to participate in following events: Events can be sign up after arrival, but the transportation to Key West requires advanced planning. Remember first come, first served on reservation items.
• Oct 29 – 31 racing (Yes or no answer):
• Nov 26 – 28 racing (Yes or no answer):
• Halloween party at the resort (maybe outside on pool deck or inside meeting room) ( yes or no, state number and age of family members):
• Thanksgiving Dinner Requires hotel reservation and arrival before 3:00pm on Thursday, dinner will be served at 5:00pm ( yes or no, & state number and age of participating family members:
• My family would likely schedule a sunset cruise ( Friday or Saturday nights) (others may be along) (Sailing Cat for the cruise can carry 24 pax.). Place our name on a priority list on (Day and date), first come first serve. ( yes or no, & state number and age of participating family members:
• My family would likely schedule a snorkeling cruise daytime after racing Saturday or Sunday(others may be along) place our name on a priority list on (Day and date), first come first serve. ( yes or no, & state number and age of participating family members:
• Other activities you may wish for:
• I would be interested in transportation to “Fantasy Fest” in Key west on October 30th (based upon numbers requesting and availability of transportation), specify your request; confirm and provide number of people:
• I would like to rent a Wave for racing (First come first serve(Call Dennis at 305 522 4944):

Last edited by Hogshead; 08/20/10 07:14 PM.