Hop To
Solid vs Mesh Vinyl Tramp? Help PLEASE? #21834
07/06/03 09:19 PM
07/06/03 09:19 PM
Minneapolis, MN
duganderson Offline OP
duganderson  Offline OP

Minneapolis, MN
Hello, I have a Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser and I need a new tramp?

Should I get a solid vinyl or mesh vinyl tramp? Why?

Does a lot of spray come through the mesh vinyl?

Which is more durable?

We mostly use the boat with 4-8 adults and 2-5 kids (ages 1-5) although there are usually only a few kids and 1 or 2 adults on the tramp since we have the wings and front tramp. We mostly sail in lakes in MN but do like spring and fall sailing and may sail a little in Door County (warmer bay of Superior).

Thanks, Doug

-- Have You Seen This? --
One more thing...Which color? [Re: duganderson] #21835
07/06/03 09:48 PM
07/06/03 09:48 PM
Minneapolis, MN
duganderson Offline OP
duganderson  Offline OP

Minneapolis, MN
Which color should I get? Is one color more durable....I heard durability was an issue with the black mesh? I'm assuming black is easiest to keep clean.

The hulls and sails are white. The front tramp and wings are black mesh.

Re: Solid vs Mesh Vinyl Tramp? Help PLEASE? [Re: duganderson] #21836
07/07/03 04:52 AM
07/07/03 04:52 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
My personal opinion is that mesh is better. Yes, a little bit of spray may come through from below, but water cannot stay on the tramp because it drains off immediately through the mesh, and air circulates through, drying the tramp quickly. A solid tramp can collect little puddles of water where people are sitting; and once it gets wet, it stays wet much longer because no air is circulating through it.

For the same reason -- air circulating through the tramp -- a mesh tramp also is cooler for the passengers than a solid tramp.

Also, of course, a mesh tramp makes a boat a little bit less susceptible to capsize because air can get through it and the wind cannot get quite as good a grip.

You also asked about color. Can't help you there. I figure that theoretically black would be best if you sail in cold areas because it will absorb the heat of the sun and that white would be a better color if you are sailing in a hot area because it will reflect the sun's heat away and the tramp will be cooler. But black is easier on the eyes and easier on the skin because you don't have as much sun reflection off the tramp. So I would say, overall, if you had to choose between black and white, black would be the way to go. But if you want something prettier, Hobie has a really nice greenish tramp -- I don't know what color they call it. Maybe it is teal. I'm not very good with weird color names. Anyway, that color of mesh tramp is on all our Hobie Waves, and those tramps have held up extremely well for a number of years in the ruthless South Florida sun.

Re: Solid vs Mesh Vinyl Tramp? Help PLEASE? [Re: duganderson] #21837
07/07/03 08:21 PM
07/07/03 08:21 PM
C
cannonfodder Offline
stranger
cannonfodder  Offline
stranger
C

Hey Doug, check out www.multihullnets.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 682 guests, and 162 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022