Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

I think its good they haven't got a club house, reduces the costs to the members and the focus is off the beach sailing. When they need a club house the Surf Life Savers is 200 meters up the beach, theres also 3 different places to buy food within that 200 meters and a caravan park over the other side of the beach car park.

There can be a small beach break in some spots, about 25% the size of Victor harbour and its fairly rare, only happened once last season.

The wind is usually shifty and gusty like a lake but without the long dead calms due to the coastal location. Waves are small and a bit confused, often trapezing on a reach straight into the waves so getting partially airborne is normal along with surfing waves while going to windward.

I think it would be a good place for the Nationals too, country location but only 1 hour to Adelaide, accomodation available at all levels for the visitors. More chance of wind when it gets hot in summer then inland and no local advantage with wind would make for a fair series.

Darryn

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Darryn] #218796
09/02/10 06:31 PM
09/02/10 06:31 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
I was very impressed with Normanville when I visited last year you could use the Life savers clubrooms or hire a marquee. Saturdays not looking too hopefull, I'm coming down with the boat anyway because Sundays not looking too bad and I'm desperate.

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Sixth Element] #218825
09/03/10 09:59 AM
09/03/10 09:59 AM
Fulham S.Aust
Wannabe Offline OP
Wannabe  Offline OP

Fulham S.Aust
frown as usual I was going to sail this weekend and again am unable, this time is the weather as Sunday am doing the family thing. I have sailed at Normanville on a Arrow and loved it I will be sailing there on the mozzie this season for sure. Last time there was a 15 knot wind and flat seas, magnificent cool

Saw it on a cartoon once.....I'm pretty sure I can do it
Mozzie
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Darryn] #218846
09/03/10 08:48 PM
09/03/10 08:48 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted by Darryn
My final hull paint job, just wet sanding , paint deck then fit out to go.

Darryn
Mozzie

Hi Darryn,

You should just sail it like that smile , don't attach the keel that will make it more interesting confused. I would like to make a formal complaint though, I have to put up with looking at those hulls with moorings attached to the bottom of them every time I go to the club sick . It's certainly not what I come to the Mosquito forum for, if it happens again I will be starting a petition to have your right to sail a Mosquito revoked wink. Please don't let it happen again (even if the paint job looks great and you have obviously put many hours of blood sweat and tears into it cool). Sorry but it's a love hate relationship with the F&F's, we love to hate each other at GLYC grin.

Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Sixth Element] #218847
09/03/10 08:54 PM
09/03/10 08:54 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted by alegayter_mossie
would be a good place for nationals if you dont mind not having a building for a club, they have a tent when its not windy thats about it..lol..

I have sailed at some great clubs, that don't have much in facilities often brings everybody together and makes for a great regatta. Don't let no club house stop it from being a Nationals venue, if they have Mossies sailing let's support them.

Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: ] #218873
09/05/10 04:55 PM
09/05/10 04:55 PM
To windward of you!
Sixth Element Offline
journeyman
Sixth Element  Offline
journeyman

To windward of you!
dont get me wrong i was not having a go at the club i was just stating the fact that they have no club. i am not doubting that the sailing is good have been there for a states which was enjoyable (for sea sailing) and we as a class will be heading there again in novermber for our traveller series. I just think when it comes to Nationals venue we need to cover all aspects which include facilities and accommidation etc, specially for those who travel with family.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Darryn] #218883
09/06/10 06:57 AM
09/06/10 06:57 AM
SA ; Barmera
Mark_Pfennig Offline
stranger
Mark_Pfennig  Offline
stranger

SA ; Barmera
Originally Posted by Darryn
I think its good they haven't got a club house, reduces the costs to the members and the focus is off the beach sailing. When they need a club house the Surf Life Savers is 200 meters up the beach, theres also 3 different places to buy food within that 200 meters and a caravan park over the other side of the beach car park.

There can be a small beach break in some spots, about 25% the size of Victor harbour and its fairly rare, only happened once last season.

The wind is usually shifty and gusty like a lake but without the long dead calms due to the coastal location. Waves are small and a bit confused, often trapezing on a reach straight into the waves so getting partially airborne is normal along with surfing waves while going to windward.

I think it would be a good place for the Nationals too, country location but only 1 hour to Adelaide, accomodation available at all levels for the visitors. More chance of wind when it gets hot in summer then inland and no local advantage with wind would make for a fair series.

Darryn

smile Hi Darryn, you Adelaide ppl have a funny idea of a country location!! Anything over thoes hills???grin

Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Mark_Pfennig] #218888
09/06/10 10:11 AM
09/06/10 10:11 AM
Fulham S.Aust
Wannabe Offline OP
Wannabe  Offline OP

Fulham S.Aust
OK let's get back on subject. Who is sailing this weekend in Adelaide and where. I have been watching the weather again and Sat is looking promising. I am prepared to travel as I am looking for some pointers on rigging,sailing,getting boat off trailer,getting boat onto beach dolly,launching, rudder control, centreboard location, where to sit and how to dress myself. Just joking laugh I can dress myself.
I'm also looking for a new name for the boat,I have a few, Passin Wind, Holden On ( guess who I work for ), Wannabe, Black Cat, Catastrope.

Mozzie
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Wannabe] #218896
09/06/10 01:17 PM
09/06/10 01:17 PM
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Good to see you on the forum Mark, congrats to you and Wendy, saw the wedding pic in the Advertiser.

Looks like the campaign for a Barmera Nationals is starting early. I prefer ocean sailing so the "city" of Normanville would be my choice.

Second race of the hot up series at Adelaide this Saturday coming (11th), starts at 1pm.

Darryn

Last edited by Darryn; 09/06/10 05:42 PM.
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Darryn] #219132
09/09/10 05:56 PM
09/09/10 05:56 PM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline
enthusiast
dkd  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
Mark,

Agreed, I have seen that there is life over them thar hills

but honestly guys, I have some views on locations for Nationals and I believe that it is not only the sailing but the facilities there that can make or break a great weeks sailing. Not all families are happy to sit and watch and get burnt on the beach. Maybe getting changed on the beach or using other clubs (SLSC or caravan park) is okay but for a club sailing day, but for 30-40 crews, please

Hey,not my choice where it is decided to sail them, just my choice to attend

my thoughts for what they are worth and I can think of a LOT of worse places than Barmera (great facilities and good company) and a lake would be a change from the years of oceans.

David
Salpicon de Resplandor, 1744

Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: dkd] #219134
09/09/10 08:41 PM
09/09/10 08:41 PM
Simon_Hallsworth Offline
Simon_Hallsworth  Offline

Looking like it might be an ok sort of day tomorrow. Might get the boat out of the shed smile

For those that are going down to ASC will see you there.

Simon

Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: dkd] #219140
09/09/10 09:42 PM
09/09/10 09:42 PM
3 weeks Newman WA 1 week Robe ...
Brian P Offline
Brian P  Offline

3 weeks Newman WA 1 week Robe ...
barmera has great facilities, no argument there...
normanville has wind ......

Brian Partridge
STINGRAY 580 "Fantasia"
A Class 585 "FHARKEN A"

YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD
BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT IN GLITTER!!!!!
Re: Sailing in Adelaide? [Re: Brian P] #219177
09/10/10 09:44 AM
09/10/10 09:44 AM
Fulham S.Aust
Wannabe Offline OP
Wannabe  Offline OP

Fulham S.Aust
I have never sailed on fresh water, but Barmera is the first leg of the traveller series in October if I'm not mistaken. I'm looking foward to sailing on fresh flat water. Once I have sailed there I will be able to voice my opinion on Ocean or Lake for the Nationals confused. I must admit that which ever it is country clubs do put on a teriffic show as they seem more people orientated than some of the larger city clubs smile. Weather still looking good for Sat and I will be there

Mozzie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 603 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022