Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline OP
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
Spent the weekend working on a new (to me) gybing techique.It involves facing forward thru the whole gybe,much like you do with most monohulls.Makes a lot more sence then gybing with your rear up in the air facing backwards (like I am use to).BTW it is not a technique I invented it is one Colby uses, apparently it works pretty good for him.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Gybing [Re: mmadge] #219946
09/20/10 01:39 PM
09/20/10 01:39 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
care to indulge us with details?

Jay

Re: Gybing [Re: waterbug_wpb] #219957
09/20/10 06:17 PM
09/20/10 06:17 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline OP
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
Stay tuned Colby might be putting out a You tube video of his gybing technique.
here is Pat Porters interpetation of the technique

Gybing while looking forward" Gavin brought it to my attention that cats are probably the only boats where the skipper turns around and faces backwards to gybe. I have used his forward gybe technique, but have not used it consistently. To perform, it is really quite easy. While holding the tiller in the overhand position,push the tiller up and over past the twelve o'clock position to about the three o'clock position thus pointing the tiller in the exact direction you want the boat to go. As you reach this position pull the tiller back towards you which turns the rudders and starts the gybe. As the boat is gybing continue facing forward and pass the tiller behind your back to your new tiller hand. What complicates this process is that before the tiller can go from one hand to the other, the mainsheet blocks must be pulled across with the free hand, as the blocks come across the tiller hand releases the tiller and hand pulling the blocks releases and grabs the tiller and all this occurs behind your back. The value of facing forward cannot be denied. In traffic this is the only way to go. There are times when you do want to look back however. Frequently I time my gybe by watching the boat behind me and the rate of the gybe is varied according to their position, also I look back to time my gybe to waves and or puffs. Not to say that this can't be done facing forward. I'm just not good at it.

Last edited by mmadge; 09/20/10 06:20 PM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022