H
Hogshead Offline OP
Hogshead  Offline OP
H

Florida
Notice of Racing
A new Sailing Series for Beach Type Catamarans in the Florida Keys
Revision 1, dated September 15, 2010

This series will be Named, “Islander Holiday Catamaran Series” and will consist of Four (4) Races:
1.Islander Halloween Regatta October 29-31, 2010
2.Islander Thanksgiving Regatta November 26-28, 2010
3.Islander Valentine’s Day Regatta February 11-13, 2011
4.Islander St Patrick’s Day Regatta March 11-13, 2011

This series is to be sponsored by The Islander Resort, Coconut Grove Sails and Canvas of Miami, and the Islander Water Sports in Islamorada, Florida. Eligibility is defined in the rules below. Our objective is to give Catamaran Sailors cost effective special weekend getaways for family and sailors to sail in competition and enjoy the great Florida Keys, Oceanside.
Our hotel rate at the Islander Resort will be set at $99 per night, for the first two races and a good rate for all. Islander Water Sports will give lower rates for family members to enjoy sunset or snorkel cruises, boat usage and other activities at the Resort. Because the series will occupy certain special days, more family fun is being considered dependent on, IF, early pre-registrations arrive. We can do many things but your expressed interest will guide what can be setup. The dates included are assumed for your arrival on Friday evenings to set up your boats, but you may arrive on Saturday mornings, at your own preference. We will be developing as we go, depending on participation. Sailing is for sailors, but you need to help by sending your preferences. We will find a way for sailors to race in one or two races and compete.

No you do not have to stay at the Islander to Race, but it is very nice and rates are right.

The Plan:
Dates:
October 29 – 31, 2010 - Includes Saturday night Halloween in the Resort, activities will be determined by your expressed interest by email to wgreen53@cfl.rr.com, Including, maybe, a family costume party on the pool deck and other activities. Remember, you may leave in time to get back home for your own Halloween activities, on the 31st. Planned: A short sail by your own boat to meet “Horizon” (40’ day catamaran) at the Sandbar to seaward of the Hoilday Isle resort (1 ½ miles) for hamburgers and hotdogs, plus. (No alcohol but you may bring your own)

November 26 – 28, 2010 Thanksgiving weekend, after thanksgiving shared at home. Or come early for Thanksgiving dinner here, by reservation only. Your reservations in the hotel will be required to have the “Bird” dinner here. Be sure to tell the reservations clerk you want the Thanksgiving dinner included. ( It would be a good idea to inform me at wgreen53@cfl.rr.com as well.)

February 11-13, 2011 This will include, weather permitting, as an optional activity with fee, a lover’s dinner and cruise on the 40’ Catamaran, Horizon, limited by number either/or, Friday or Saturday evening. A first come first serve list will be developed.

March 11-13, 2011 This will include a Saturday “Green Beer” with party favors on the grounds at the Islander Resort. Then On Sunday the series winners will be announced at 2-3PM.
Times: Races will be daytime Saturday after 11:00am (Maybe earlier, based upon responses) until mid afternoon; and Sunday morning, no races beginning after 1:00pm Sunday, so families can get on the road. Racing will end in time for family activities, Saturday.
Costs: As stated above, hotel rates at $99 per night. February and March regattas may have a different, but still reasonable rates compared to normal.
Entry fee for the series will be $120. If racing the series of 4 races and one of the four dates is cancelled or the crew does come for a weekend, the fee will remain the same. Individual race fees will be #50 each. ONLY those competitors who race at least 3 regattas will be eligible for the series awards.
Additional fees for special activities, such as dinners and cruises will be added.
Racing rules: As always, the RRS will be in effect and observed.
•Eligibility: Any beach type catamaran up to 22 feet, to be placed into classes by the RC, based upon participants. (We will consider other requests)
• No designated class for racing will be allowed for less than 4 participating one design boats.
• Open class(es) will be used to accommodate all others.
• Individual race and series race winners will be awarded so to protect sailors who cannot make the series but wish to race individual weekend races.
• Races will be planned to race from a single starting line, but courses and starting times will be different for different types of boats (This can be modified, based upon identified requests (larger numbers, etc. ) and interest from sailors), (Some course innovations may be used, as per current US Sailing thinking):
o Spinnaker boats will race a longer triangle or multiple laps on a shorter triangle.
o A-Cats will race a windward - leeward course.
o Smaller boats will race a different triangle course, still (maybe) using the same starting line, but different starting times.
o Where appropriate and applicable, multiple races will be raced each day, but finishing on Saturday to meet family time requirement above.
o Your requests will be considered in the type and number of races to help define or eliminate races to be run. If there are no responses the RC will make decisions alone, including cancellation.
o Race PRO will be Warren Green, US Sailing CRO.
o A few Waves will be available for rent from Islander Water Sports, and there are other locations nearby for Wave rentals.
o Awards are TBD at this time, (based upon responses).
Other optional activities:
1. Boats may be left at the resort for the entire series. Boats may be sailed from the area while at the resort as per your wishes without charges. Ground or trailer Storage, rigged or not, will be provided, but as usual neither the Resort, nor other sponsors, will take no responsibility for damage or losses. Sailors should never leave loose gear on boats.
2. A Halloween costume party on the pool deck from 7-9PM Saturday, October 30th, includes soft drinks for all and finger foods, and ‘trick or treat prizes’ . If…….. We are informed of your interest to participate. Alcohol from the bar, pay as you go, at regular rates. This option will have added costs with tickets purchased ahead at registration - $tbd adults, $tbd children over 6, free for children 6 and under. Costume prizes may be awarded (TBD, based upon responses).
For those who want to make Thanksgiving in the Keys, special arrangements will be made for a turkey dinner to be served on the deck at the Islander Resort, or in a meeting room if there is inclement weather. Hotel rates will be retained as above for the extra day(s). Early sign up and reservations will be required

The following is an “Easy to do” response survey for sailors to complete and return. Simply Copy numbered item statements and paste into a “reply” email; type in answers after the colons then email your response. wgreen53@cfl.rr.com just in case.

Survey (Please Complete to help define races and activities)
The whole event may be cancelled if there are no responses to this survey !
In response to the “Holiday Getaway Special Series” NOR, my interests are as follows:
1. Good idea? (yes or No answer) (on this and every numbered statement please add (Type in) your comment after each colon):
2. I suggest the following changes to format (Majority rule. So discussing and combining answers with others is a good idea):
3. I am definitely interested in participating in this event:
4. I expect to be racing in the following boat, (Class and status, i.e., spin or no spin):
5. I will be happy to preregister, by sending a simple email registration (found below) ( must be completed by October 8th for first race weekend):
6. My family would be interested in the Halloween night and understand there may be a reasonable added fee, (A yes or No answer will suffice):
7. My family will be interested in the Thanksgiving dinner option and we will so indicate by a early registration and with our hotel reservation, ( Yes or No answer):
8. My family is interested (not committed) to schedule a sunset cruise (others may be along) (Sailing Cat for the cruise can carry 24 pax. Dinner ashore and cruise special available) ( I will indicate my request by completing the preregistration below):
9. My family may want to schedule a snorkeling cruise (others may be along) ( I will indicate my request by completing the preregistration below):
10. Other event requests for the first weekend: (ideas: transportation for shopping trip, or special visits to other local Keys locations), your ideas welcome:
11. Other thoughts or comments you may have:

(Some response aleady received and not required to resubmit.)
Send your responses to: wgreen53@cfl.rr.com

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Revised NOR, Islander Holiday Catamaran series [Re: Hogshead] #220017
09/21/10 04:01 PM
09/21/10 04:01 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm in! But why the triangle for spin boats?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Revised NOR, Islander Holiday Catamaran series [Re: pgp] #220022
09/21/10 04:15 PM
09/21/10 04:15 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
I really like the idea, but at that time of year there are a lot of choices in FL. I've sent you the survey.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Revised NOR, Islander Holiday Catamaran series [Re: pgp] #220027
09/21/10 04:46 PM
09/21/10 04:46 PM
Florida
H
Hogshead Offline OP
Hogshead  Offline OP
H

Florida
Sailors can decide before skippers meeting, you want windward leeward, okay. wgg

Re: Revised NOR, Islander Holiday Catamaran series [Re: Hogshead] #220094
09/22/10 02:23 PM
09/22/10 02:23 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Warren - As much I would love to participate in that series, like Ding said, there are a lot of other regattas going on during that time. Plus.....the Keys are REALLY far from just about everywhere. Hell, I live in Tampa, and it's still a 6 hour trip to get to the Islander. Many people are already making the trek to the keys in December (Steeplechase), and January (Tradewinds). Maybe if there was a location in Miami or Ft Lauderdale, it would be easier to get people to commit to.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Revised NOR, Islander Holiday Catamaran series [Re: Hogshead] #220096
09/22/10 03:10 PM
09/22/10 03:10 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My kitchen pass has been canceled. Prior committments.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022