Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220188
09/24/10 09:59 AM
09/24/10 09:59 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

You lost your credibility when you stated that PHRF works. PHRF is the most inconsistent system out there.

The same boat rates differently region to region - even one-design boats like M24's or J22's.

There is no formula used to derive the rating - it's a guestimation by committee on how that boat will compete within a given fleet.

A boat that is perceived to win too often will have their rating lowered.

A boat that doesn't win will typically have their rating raised.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220190
09/24/10 10:14 AM
09/24/10 10:14 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Rule Beater???

Mike... that is a red herring.... Beach cats in the US used handicap racing with a measurement rule...aka.. NAMSA for years prior to USPN... it used Herb Malm's proprietary measurement rule to generate the table and then he stoked it using data.

No rule beaters were designed!

Texel has been widely used for many a year... Which boat was designed to be a rule beater?

Nobody has ever pressed the charge that XXX is a measurement rule beater under Texel or SCHRS and blah blah designed it to be so!

But... the point is that Portsmouth is broken... we don't have the racing scene to generate high quality data....So, it now must function like a PHRF system.... Note the Nacra F20 rating was set by Texel/SCHRS for US portsmouth by the PHRF like committe.

Do you think the racing community is well served with a broken PN system that must act like a PHRF committee to maintain a reasonable ratings table?

Make a case for the status quo.... and the most recent PN table (grin)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220191
09/24/10 10:19 AM
09/24/10 10:19 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Originally Posted by Mike Hill
look at the history of IMS. I would hate for beachcats to go down that road. Creating expensive rule-beaters is a big problem that I don't see a solution for in Texel or SCHRS.

Can you give an example of one of those "rule-beaters"?

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Tony_F18] #220192
09/24/10 10:24 AM
09/24/10 10:24 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
No rule beaters were designed!

Inadvertently, the F16 was a rule beater when it first arrived.

Also, the reason why none have been designed under PN is because the mechanism for the rating to change over time is there. Why build a $30k one-off catamaran that will have one season of a gift rating before its number changes.

Keep tilting at windmills Mark. Its fun to watch.

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220193
09/24/10 10:27 AM
09/24/10 10:27 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

look at the history of IMS. I would hate for beachcats to go down that road. Creating expensive rule-beaters is a big problem that I don't see a solution for in Texel or SCHRS.

Here is a brief history of IMS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Measurement_System

Mike,

What weakness are you talking about? The rule and calculations are public; you can download the calculator here: http://www.schrs.com/exe/SCHRSCalc2009.exe

SCHRS has been around a while; I see no rule beaters being designed!!!!

SCHRS rates the parts of the boat that make it go faster or slower. Have a play with the calculator and see what you can come up with!

New developments are rated as they become effective.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: mikekrantz] #220195
09/24/10 10:28 AM
09/24/10 10:28 AM
Annapolis, MD
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Right.... How does this differ from How the USPN must operate today.

the F16 rating ...had to be adjusted...
The Supercat 20 rating... had to be adjusted.
The CFR 20 rating ... had to be adjusted.

Like it or not... without a lot of high quality data... the USPN system is simply a national PHRF like system.

In defense of PHRF... an awful lot of sailors spent a ton of money racing in Key West for essentially PHRF nationals under PHRF handicaps for many years. Serious people work hard at generating fair ratings and the owners clearly don't think it's a waste of time. Local PHRF ratings are a function of the American spirit of ... if it's local... it must be better because its under our local control. Sounds like your PHRF board has issues.

The solution is to adopt SCHRS or TEXEL... Several of the US distance races already have!

You avoid any perception that the rating is bogus or set by politics with a measurement system.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mark Schneider] #220197
09/24/10 10:47 AM
09/24/10 10:47 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I don't race under SCHRS or Texel and don't understand it's weakness's/strengths.

An example of a weekness would be that the F18 has consistently become faster since it's introduction. However the measurements have not changed. Better sail cut/ foil design/ balance / ....

I know the weakness's in Portsmouth. I race under it. And yes there are weakness's.

However I think that we could be trading one system with weakness that can be adjusted to another system.

I'm not totally against it. I just think it needs to be looked at very seriously and figure out if it improves results or might be actually worst.

And yes, Given a set of rules, A boat can be designed to "beat" the system. I'm not saying it's been done. But someone perhaps hasn't put the time into it to make that happen. Leave it to a bunch of yanks to screw up a good system.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Should Area Championships use SCHRS or TEXEL ratings? [Re: Mark Schneider] #220202
09/24/10 11:17 AM
09/24/10 11:17 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
First ... Proposal submitted... Draft report submitted... waiting for feedback from two readers.

Thanks for taking the time to submit a solution for a better alternative than the PN system. The statistician in me hates to see the PN be dissolved however it is only as good as the data collected. The statistical concept is that a solid number can be derived with enough "observations" such that the "outliers" would not be significant in the final number. It would be a real and best measurement but it requires MANY observations. In reality, those days do not exist. We cannot collect enough observations to flush out the crew skill factor let alone obscure match ups. Consequently, it is time to call it for what it is and accept a mathmatical/engineering model such as Texel or SCHRS to calculate handicaps. Ultimately, if you are really committed to a fair system; go One Design or SMOD. Even then there are boat & sail factors beyond skill that can impact your results but at least they are minimized.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220204
09/24/10 11:35 AM
09/24/10 11:35 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
I don't race under SCHRS or Texel and don't understand it's weakness's/strengths.

An example of a weakness would be that the F18 has consistently become faster since it's introduction. However the measurements have not changed.

Thats is not true actually.
The Texel Rating has been adapted over the years to reflect changes in boat and rig design trends.

This brought the F18 number down from 102 a few years ago to 100 now, and the A's and F16 rating has gone up 1 and 2.

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220205
09/24/10 11:42 AM
09/24/10 11:42 AM
Annapolis, MD
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
An example of a weekness would be that the F18 has consistently become faster since it's introduction. However the measurements have not changed. Better sail cut/ foil design/ balance / ....

So you would expect Portsmouth to take this into account! The ratings should get faster!

So from 2005 to 2010
A period where you saw the builders evolve from:
Tiger to Tiger upgrades to Wildcat
Nacra F18 to Nacra Infusion
Cap 1 to Cap 2

the USPN rating
62.4 65.4 63.9 61.3 59.5

62.4 65.4 63.9 61.3 59.5

62.4 65.4 63.9 61.3 59.5

62.6 66.1 64.4 61.5 59.5

Hmm... that would be a change in DPN rating of .2!

Bottom Line.... Either you assume that PN is working and the data don't support... "F18's are faster"... or you say... well we just don't have ANY data of any kind! (the basic underlying problem with Portsmouth and the major reason that it is broken).

A larger point about accuracy of ratings.... the intrinsic noise of a sailboat race means that you just can't resolve this perceived increase in speed in the ratings tables.

You are asking for a level of resolution that the game of handicap sailboat racing can't deliver.

the guy on the helm is the biggest factor. Struble races a vintage Flyer 1 in the US worlds and is in the top 10 until a breakdown.... wins 2010 NA's on current ride... Is it Struble or the boat.... (It's Struble)

This years Europeans... an Aussie young sailor on a Flyer I with high aspect boards is at the top of the fleet.

In both cases... the variance due to boat development is much much smaller then the other factors in a sailboat race ... (See my Farr 40 example)

When the top sailors upgrade their equipment.... you underestimate their skill and over rate the boat....

For this debate. Portsmouth can't resolve this "F18's are faster notion" Measurement ratings recognize the resolution limits of handicap racing and do not try to refine their formula to get another decimal place... it's a waste of time.

One Design Racing will have more "real" resolution then handicap racing but this is not the issue.

The issue is... Which handicap system has complete integrity and fairly rates the boats in a timely and transparent manner.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #220216
09/24/10 01:14 PM
09/24/10 01:14 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Inadvertently, the F16 was a rule beater when it first arrived."

You wanna 'splain that?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: pgp] #220225
09/24/10 02:03 PM
09/24/10 02:03 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Pete, this has been a hotly debated issue for years. You know how this would end up... someone will give their opinion on the initial F16 rating, you'll say bullsh!t and then it's on. Isn't the sh!t fight over which rating system we should use enough?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Mike Hill] #220227
09/24/10 02:08 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know the weakness's in Portsmouth. I race under it. And yes there are weakness's.

However I think that we could be trading one system with weakness that can be adjusted to another system.

I'm not totally against it. I just think it needs to be looked at very seriously and figure out if it improves results or might be actually worst.

And yes, Given a set of rules, A boat can be designed to "beat" the system. I'm not saying it's been done. But someone perhaps hasn't put the time into it to make that happen. Leave it to a bunch of yanks to screw up a good system.

Mike

F18 rating under schrs was 1.01 (2 decimal places)

when we changed the system to 3 dp we also changed the "fulcrum" boat - that is the boat all other boats are calcualted against to be the F18; the rating also becamse 1.005.

In the future (well my plan was when I was chair) was that the F18 rating will NEVER change; all boats will move around this boat as the formula is changed as developments happen.

The reason we chose the F18 was because it was sailed most widely world wide and so logic dictates using it as the boat we measure all other boats against.

The F18 is currently sailed by the best sailors and so it will show, to the best practical way, how a well sailed boat will perform and thus define the rating base. There are lots of boats of different designs that all measure the same under SCHRS (we assume maximum efficiency plates). These boats have their goot points (for example Shockwave down wind; Wildcat is good upwind; but under SCHRS it averages out as differing boats win the big regattas).

If the top competitors in the N20 / I20, F18 and F16 (and pick as many as you like) all sailed the same courses at the same event; I would expect the F18 to win as the World champ will be of higher quality.

If you could clone Gashby and Bundy to sail all the boats over a spread of conditions and courses you would get draws.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: pgp] #220228
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
The point was taken out of context. The F16 was NOT a Texel or SCHRS rule beater.

PN missed with its opening number and once there were some races (data) the PN was promptly lowered. It is now a function of the F18 rating less .6 across the board which I do not necessarily agree with at the higher wind scales. You would think that it should be a proportion relative to the base rating and not an absolute & constant reduction relative to higher wind ratings. I'm splitting hairs now.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: David Ingram] #220231
09/24/10 02:30 PM
09/24/10 02:30 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Pete, this has been a hotly debated issue for years. You know how this would end up... someone will give their opinion on the initial F16 rating, you'll say bullsh!t and then it's on. Isn't the sh!t fight over which rating system we should use enough?

Yeh. Why don't you tell Tad that.

The F16s are always wrong, everyone else is always right. What a load of crap!

If we were rating the boats, instead of the boats performance a lot of this nonsense would never come up.

If a car is light weight and has a lot of horsepower, it is assumed it will be fast. The F16 should have been rated higher from the beginning. Instead the boat and the class are criticized for faults belonging to the rating system.

It was the F16 class that stepped up and asked that the boat be rated appropriately. We NEVER tried to game the system!

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: pgp] #220235
09/24/10 02:47 PM
09/24/10 02:47 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
We NEVER tried to game the system!

I never said you did.

When the F16 first came out, there was something about its design that clearly made it faster than what it was rated as initially measured by PN.

Thats why I said "Inadvertently". Nobody did it on purpose I believe, it just happened like that. When Wooter actually lobbied to get the rating "fixed" and closer to the F18 rating where it belonged, I actually agreed with him on something.

But Ding is right, rehashing history about the F16 rating really doesn't help this argument out at all. Whether SCHRS or Texel would have kept the problem from happening, I don't know. I tell you what though, I get a good belly laugh out of every post Mark makes about it though.

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #220237
09/24/10 03:02 PM
09/24/10 03:02 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Undecided
I tell you what though, I get a good belly laugh out of every post Mark makes about it though.

Save it for SA. At least Mark is trying to get the system fixed, has stepped up, and prepared a submission recognizing that there are better alternatives to PN. You have to know Mark to understand his passion for debate.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Kris Hathaway] #220239
09/24/10 03:48 PM
09/24/10 03:48 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
100% agree there. Mark and I have had our very heated disagreements on this issue but there is no denying his passion and I give him huge kudo's for taking this on. Damnit! Am I in the Mark camp again! F@#$ ME!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: Kris Hathaway] #220241
09/24/10 04:07 PM
09/24/10 04:07 PM
S
slackwater_sf Offline
stranger
slackwater_sf  Offline
stranger
S

Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway

DEL.TEXT At least Mark is trying to get the system fixed, has stepped up, and prepared a submission recognizing that DEL.TEXT

Thank you to Mark for volunteering,

S-->

Re: Area Championships: Portsmouth, Texel, SCHRS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #220242
09/24/10 04:08 PM
09/24/10 04:08 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Undecided

But Ding is right, rehashing history about the F16 rating really doesn't help this argument out at all. Whether SCHRS or Texel would have kept the problem from happening, I don't know. I tell you what though, I get a good belly laugh out of every post Mark makes about it though.

As long as the person can use a tape measure, a set of scales and punch some numbers into a PC you can measure and calc a rating using SCHRS or Texel.

Of course it would not have happend under SCHRS or Texel.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 375 guests, and 103 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022