Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Jake turns 29 today! Again!

Share a Jake story:

First time I met Jake in person was at Spring Fever. Todd Hart drags him over to me and says, "John, THIS is JAKE KOHL!" I get a big smile on my face and get ready to shake the hand of a prolific Catsailor presence in whom I share a certain sense or irony. We're about to start what I anticipate will be a really good conversation that I've been looking forward to for some time. Right then, this kinda lanky kid walks up.

"Hi, my name is Wouter."

Mayhem. Jake and I had to wait a bit to start talking over the noise.

Many happy returns, buddy.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: John Williams] #222521
10/25/10 11:47 AM
10/25/10 11:47 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
29?!?!?! I didn't know we were the same age!

I have sailed with Jake for 3 (I think) Spring Fever Regatta's and against him in 2 Tybees. All that time on the water with him, but I have only one good story, and this isn't it.

I could go on with all the gory details, but to be brief, through thorough investigation, we discovered that subway sandwiches do indeed float. Well at least they do inside a N20 hull when it is full of water because "someone" left the plugs out.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: ksurfer2] #222527
10/25/10 12:59 PM
10/25/10 12:59 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
I remember Jake jerking me off the boat as he flew by in a big stuff. "We're not gonna save this...." he said as he grabbed the back of my lifejacket in mid-air.

Happy B-day

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: zander] #222528
10/25/10 01:04 PM
10/25/10 01:04 PM
T
Team_Chums Offline
stranger
Team_Chums  Offline
stranger
T

Jake story;
Jamie Livingston just repaired my boat after a collision in the Tybee 500 when Jake walked up and put his finger in the fresh resin then hastily tried to smooth it out with same finger making it exponentially worse with each stroke of his finger. That was the highlite of the race that year for me. I still laugh my butt off about it. Thank you Jake for that memory.

Happy Birthday!!!

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Team_Chums] #222567
10/25/10 03:37 PM
10/25/10 03:37 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

happy 29th. u dont look a day over 50

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: zander] #222569
10/25/10 03:48 PM
10/25/10 03:48 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by zander
I remember Jake jerking me off..........

cry

Couldn't resist!

I'm boatless.
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Karl_Brogger] #222579
10/25/10 04:26 PM
10/25/10 04:26 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Happy Birthday Jake.
I'll save you the misery of one of the many stories I could tell.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #222580
10/25/10 04:28 PM
10/25/10 04:28 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Weak, Todd. You might as well just admit that most of your stories involve memory loss.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: John Williams] #222593
10/25/10 04:56 PM
10/25/10 04:56 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I can't remember way more stories than ,I can. That's a fact.It makes life interestingly fresh though.
I'm pretty sure the photographic evidence of our drunken WWF debut,with the PRO sailor shirts, in Nigel's driveway will surface on it's own.
Like Ding, maybe I'm trying a kinder, friendlier approach to life. NAAHHH... that's probably not it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: John Williams] #222594
10/25/10 05:05 PM
10/25/10 05:05 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I could share no less than a hundred stories about Jakeypoo (I know he hates me calling him that)... all of them involve him selflessly helping an annoying kid (me) out of a jam that I put myself in.

One of them I particular have to thank him for (and Zander and Dave Lennard!) is at Outback cup, I think last year it was. I had taken a lot of time off to get my boat fixed, working, and back to snuff. I was really looking forward to getting back on the water. On the trip down, I had gotten some bad news about my family, and my crew informed me that he wouldn't be able to meet me to rig the boat that night. I went from being on cloud 9 to feeling pretty sorry for myself. Anyone that knows me off this forum that I do wear my emotions on my sleeve, and I'll whine about them and anything else if you give me an opportunity.

Anyways. I was pulling the boat into the parking lot at Columbia Sailing Club, and coming around the round about. It was dark already and the rear visibility of the Vehicross wasn't the best. I tagged Jake's lowered truck tailgate and put a nice 6" long deep gouge down the side of Undecided's yellow side.

I was livid, pissed off, and being pretty childish about it, I admit. Jake immediately consoles my passion that was lashing out in every direction and assured me that his truck was fine, and the gouge could be fixed and I'd be on the water in the morning no problem. Tells me to get sandpaper. Zander gets the resin, Lennard gets the glass and after I sanded out the groove for an hour, Jake meticulously laid the glass in for me.

Next morning I sanded it down, and while it looked like a skidmark on the side of my hull, I was sailing.

Like I said, this is only one of a hundred stories where Jake has helped me out. (LIke when he completely rebuilt the port side bow!) He's a true friend and someone I really am grateful to know!

Happy birfday Jake!

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #222598
10/25/10 05:09 PM
10/25/10 05:09 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Happy Birthday. Never met but both had Nacra 5.2s at one time. So there is a "spiritual" connection of sorts.

I like the story Jake told on himself. You know you're getting old when sail off with the beach wheels still attached.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Kris Hathaway] #222617
10/25/10 07:43 PM
10/25/10 07:43 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
I remember one night late at Nigel's house when the "Red Man" adventures started. Jake, Bonnie, Renee and I laughed so hard my face hurt. Too hard to explain but Jake will remember. Tad has also made a great point - Jake is always there when you need him. Happy Birthday Jake

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Dlennard] #222624
10/25/10 10:35 PM
10/25/10 10:35 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
wow....you guys are something! Most people shouldn't expect something like this until they've died and I feel privileged. I haven't helped any of you out as much as much as you help me - but at least I've given out some great stories! I'm absolutely fortunate to be part of such a great fraternity of friends who compete against each other in some of the most aggressive conditions possible - but end each and every day with a hand shake, a hug, or at the very least a great story.

Now...my responses.

JW - you're awesome and you put all of us to shame with your selfless dedication to this sport and all of the things you have made better on and off the water...and your math skills regarding age are mind blowing. I remember that moment at Spring Fever but I admit to being slightly distracted because I had just realized I was within one person each of Sam Evans in front of me and Wouter behind me. I was concerned about getting caught in the nuclear cross fire when some tall fuzzy headed pickle-toed guy butted in and said Jake! Jake! ...but what a great long weekend and the beginning of another great friendship. I look forward to the day we race together again - I've found some stuff since last time.

Karl - what did you expect? Not only were my pajamas wet but I was becoming increasingly concerned that the Lake Hartwell dam was the only thing between me and the General, and the Atlantic ocean. Of course I forgot the drain plugs! And by the way, that photo taken of us after I handed you the helm intent to relieve myself with SPECIFIC instructions regarding which side of the photo boat to sail by is still on the screen saver at my sailing club.

Chris, you had a habit of going down with the ship and we had a hell of a comeback to stage (and did)! I wanted to make sure you were intact...because we sure as hell weren't going to save that and I saw you trimming the spinnaker all the way down the mine as I was flying by you. I do still feel bad that there is an expensive Sperry in the muck approaching Anne's beach from that day. That being our first Steeplechase, I recall getting anxious about beating that 6.0 back to the Day 1 finish as we started to scrub the grass and sand about 100 yards shy of the line at Anne's beach. You jumped in to pull the boat while I tried to sail and steer what I could. Looking up at the sails and hardly shifting focus on that 6.0, I remember asking you to go faster (not so nicely)! The response I got? The boat stops and you asked me "How tall am I?". I definitely remember thinking, "that was a strange response"...The boat was still scrubbing bottom but you were chest level with the deck (and you are not short!)..what a weekend!

Lee, well...that was probably one of my biggest "slap me" moments (I've had a few!) and I'm astonished that I walked away from that with neither a black eye or a nasty nick-name. In my defense, I didn't know it was a fresh repair and I distinctly remember thinking to myself; "wow! someone really did a tidy job fairing that with what appears to be epoxy and chopped glass...how smooth is that?". The look on Jamie's face looking at me as I looked perplexed at the wet epoxy on my finger as he was walking back after having just thrown away all of the repair kit he used was PRICELESS. I'll never forget that one either...and I still think I owe you more rum for that.

Todd, - pussy.

Tad, just keep sailing and smiling. It's just fiberglass. Thanks for the compliments.

Kris, the 5.2 is a great boat and will always have a soft spot in my sailing heart. I would like to sail one again someday...it's been quite a while.

David, this one is for you and from my "private collection" of Red Man photos. Red Man began life on a mini Tommy Hilfiger Volvo X40 display and "~somehow~" ended up at one of our regattas after having traveled a bit around the world. Red Man partied big with us that night and I have the photographic evidence to prove it.

PS -thank goodness Wick Smith doesn't frequent this forum to tell the story about a nasty hangover, a half-eaten poptart, a life jacket, and fireants. How do I get myself into these things?

What great friends. Thanks for one of the best birthday presents ever.

Attached Files
redman1a.jpg (142 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Jake] #222626
10/25/10 11:14 PM
10/25/10 11:14 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Originally Posted by Jake
Most people shouldn't expect something like this until they've died...

Well, you are kinda gettin' up there. :p

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: Jake] #222659
10/26/10 07:54 AM
10/26/10 07:54 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by Jake
And by the way, that photo taken of us after I handed you the helm intent to relieve myself with SPECIFIC instructions regarding which side of the photo boat to sail by is still on the screen saver at my sailing club.

And as long as I keep making those monthly payments, it will remain so! grin

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Happy Birthday, Jake! [Re: ksurfer2] #222699
10/26/10 12:03 PM
10/26/10 12:03 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
Happy B-Day there old man, I wont tell any bad stories, just have to say you are a good man, and a good friend.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022