12/02/10 09:51 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
Rick,

We are sitting here at the "big house" and can't get Scarpelli registered. There are too many problems with the format.

As we discussed at the Wave meeting tonight, it is counterintuitive to do this. How can we make it easier for non-computer oriented guys to access the system without getting pissed off and bailing.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: Mugrace72] #224865
12/03/10 08:16 AM
12/03/10 08:16 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
I would like see link in the menu pane close to the top so I don't have to dig through the NOR, it's not like I'm going read the thing.

I need an additional column to leave friends my words of inspiration, you know things like:

Suck it Punk!
Don't F!@#ing hit me Karl, Tawd, JC, Seth,...
Mossburger, curved boards are for homo's, go straight or don't go at all.

There is a lot of hate in my heart and I need to let it out. Not towards those guys of course, but you know... other people.

Last edited by David Ingram; 12/03/10 09:10 AM. Reason: How could I forget Tawd!?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: David Ingram] #224869
12/03/10 10:16 AM
12/03/10 10:16 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by David Ingram
I would like see link in the menu pane close to the top so I don't have to dig through the NOR, it's not like I'm going read the thing.

I need an additional column to leave friends my words of inspiration, you know things like:

Suck it Punk!
Don't F!@#ing hit me Karl, Tawd, JC, Seth,...
Mossburger, curved boards are for homo's, go straight or don't go at all.

There is a lot of hate in my heart and I need to let it out. Not towards those guys of course, but you know... other people.

You've been hit by a lot of folks. That tell ya anything?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: David Ingram] #224870
12/03/10 10:26 AM
12/03/10 10:26 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hate.... others?....
Enquiring minds want to know WHO exactly...

DING DING DING.... You know it's a Handicap RACE!.... (if you used SCHRS...your heart would mellow out not having to deal with all of the boat modifications)...

Come on... its CHRISTMAS TIME... Drop the scrouge routine and embrace the start line with a Hobie 16, Nacra 20's and the Supercat!

YOU CAN DO IT! laugh

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: Mark Schneider] #224950
12/06/10 09:48 AM
12/06/10 09:48 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Mark, come on now... people sail OD/Formula because they don't want to sail handicap, but you know that! You're also smart enough to know that even if we go to a measurement based system it will change nothing, there won't be a sudden uptick in handicap racing.

The Steeplechase is also F18 rich... It's not a handicap race for me my friend.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: David Ingram] #224953
12/06/10 10:49 AM
12/06/10 10:49 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Ding,
It's cold in B-more and Mark's bored. Stirring the pot is his main winter activity.
Mark,
You should look into skiing ,hunting (Ha) or crocheting , to absorb your winter angst.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: David Ingram] #224954
12/06/10 11:47 AM
12/06/10 11:47 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Who said uptick...

I just want to maintain the current levels of participation!

Face it.. the new Nacra F20 generates more interest then the latest F18 flavor but it needs events to compete at and racers to compete with. Moreover, we have fewer and fewer race ready old boats that people will actively race (one Arc 22 in the Steeplechase) BUT we have many areas where sailors will bring out the old girl and race for a big local regatta or newbies who have purchased an old race boat and think about giving racing a try. A schedule, (IE a couple events designated as open class) where IF they show up.. they know they will be racing against a large group of racers who are also playing handicap that weekend will help keep these guys racing or introduce the sport to new racers.

Supporting this kind of schedule means we need a handicap system and this is just one of those important details. I just want a fair reliable unbiased international measurement system for those events... (distance races... some buoy races club races) that sailors want to compete in. If the monohull world can run PHRF and IRC nationals at Key West and a few other big regattas... the beach cat world should have a similar high quality handicap option for races where one- design fits under the handicap umbrella.

We should go to school on the other sailing classes. My J35 class has been actively debating the local one design schedule. After years of autopilot scheduling.. They now get it that owners balance the one design events with the popular but less challenging point to point events on handicap and only have so much time and money. They think that getting the just right mix of events is essential for keeping the 30 year old class strong (15 to 20 local boats with 10 boats on the line for each OD scheduled regatta) They got owners to compile a similar spreadsheet as tback's southeast region to make choices.

RE.. the steeplechase being F18 rich and so not a handicap race for you... Terrific! a game within a game. You loose nothing and the ARC 22 and M20 will also have a game to play. My point is that this game is well served by a SCHRS handicap AND a Clear Schedule serves the sport well.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: Mark Schneider] #224957
12/06/10 01:43 PM
12/06/10 01:43 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Who said uptick...

I just want to maintain the current levels of participation!

Face it.. the new Nacra F20 generates more interest then the latest F18 flavor but it needs events to compete at and racers to compete with. Moreover, we have fewer and fewer race ready old boats that people will actively race (one Arc 22 in the Steeplechase) BUT we have many areas where sailors will bring out the old girl and race for a big local regatta or newbies who have purchased an old race boat and think about giving racing a try. A schedule, (IE a couple events designated as open class) where IF they show up.. they know they will be racing against a large group of racers who are also playing handicap that weekend will help keep these guys racing or introduce the sport to new racers.

Supporting this kind of schedule means we need a handicap system and this is just one of those important details. I just want a fair reliable unbiased international measurement system for those events... (distance races... some buoy races club races) that sailors want to compete in. If the monohull world can run PHRF and IRC nationals at Key West and a few other big regattas... the beach cat world should have a similar high quality handicap option for races where one- design fits under the handicap umbrella.

We should go to school on the other sailing classes. My J35 class has been actively debating the local one design schedule. After years of autopilot scheduling.. They now get it that owners balance the one design events with the popular but less challenging point to point events on handicap and only have so much time and money. They think that getting the just right mix of events is essential for keeping the 30 year old class strong (15 to 20 local boats with 10 boats on the line for each OD scheduled regatta) They got owners to compile a similar spreadsheet as tback's southeast region to make choices.

RE.. the steeplechase being F18 rich and so not a handicap race for you... Terrific! a game within a game. You loose nothing and the ARC 22 and M20 will also have a game to play. My point is that this game is well served by a SCHRS handicap AND a Clear Schedule serves the sport well.

I was at the SCHRS meeting last year in Belgium and the powers that be at that meeting did NOT feel SCHRS handicap was fair and needed quite a bit of adjustments. Is it better than DPN? Probably, but I don't think it's an answer to participation problems (although catamaran partidipation is on the rise, so calling it a problem isn't proper at this point). If you plan to use SCHRS be prepared for a big break away from US Sailing, and that's a whole nother discussion altogether. Oops, didn't mean to get the hair standing....

Dave can probably address this possible break away from US Sailing properly, so everyone with questions should probably contact Ding directly though IM, cellphone, email, pigeon or big rock with Sharpie squiggles.

Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: Mark Schneider] #224958
12/06/10 01:44 PM
12/06/10 01:44 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Mark,

Firstly the F18 has never pretended to be a cutting edge platform and that is something that has been pointed out more times than I care to mention. We aren't an A cat, M20, F20 or any other lighter weight techy boat. The platform is a compromise and always has been. We are more about the racing/organization and less about the platform and it's a formula that appears to be working at the moment.

As for the mixed schedule or schedules period; Mark you know there are areas doing a good job about getting the word out and getting their fleets to the beach. The way you write your posts you act everybody is sitting on their hands waiting for you to tell them what to do, and that just aint so.

As for your promotion of SCHRS as a "fair reliable unbiased international measurement system" dude, seriously?

The MHC has an action to see if the One of Kind Regatta can be revived, if you'd like to get involved contact Kirk Simmons he is taking point on that action.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Catsailor pre-registration [Re: David Ingram] #224960
12/06/10 03:43 PM
12/06/10 03:43 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
"There is a lot of hate in my heart and I need to let it out. "

Ding, I thought that column in the registration page was called "BOAT NAME"...

Jay

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 344 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022