03/23/11 01:36 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by Timbo
So where can I get a new mainsail like that?
a quick google would indicate that hunter@schurrsails.com would be a good start.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: pepin] #230165
03/23/11 01:42 PM
03/23/11 01:42 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Thanks Pepin but I was lookking for a little more info from the guys that were there and saw it up close. I don't know if it's an"Experimental" one-off at this point or if they are mass producing them.

And was there a class measurer who measured and stamped it?

Blade F16
Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: mikeborden] #230166
03/23/11 01:44 PM
03/23/11 01:44 PM
Chattanooga, TN
jody Offline
jody  Offline

Chattanooga, TN
The I20 is Mark Smith who has been working with some new sail cuts for the 20. To say his sail has a big head is an understatment. I wanna say it is like 5 feet or so. He did sail as nonclass sails from my understanding. Had the most "intresting" spin i have seen in a long time.
As for the Rice Viper sail I am not sure if it was bigger (never remebered to ask) or if the cut was just different giving it a different look. Really was a cool looking sail.

J

Last edited by jody; 03/23/11 01:45 PM.

Jody Blade F16 724 Plays with Sharp Objects
Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: Timbo] #230167
03/23/11 01:46 PM
03/23/11 01:46 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Joanna,

Some boat names just seem to have "magic" ... they just seem right ... they "singgg ...."

... a F16 Blade, "Too Sharp to Touch" ....

OUTSTANDING !!!!

I believe the F16's will again be coming to the "Down the River" Race & Rock Hall Yacht Club's Annual One-Design Regatta in June .... please try to come .... I need to buy beverages for the team/crew on the boat with such a perfect name ....

("Lucky Duck" has been winning the Down the River Race ... but he has stiff compition from the A-Cats ... )

Harry
H18Mag/P19MX
RHYC member

Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: Timbo] #230170
03/23/11 02:22 PM
03/23/11 02:22 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Originally Posted by Timbo
Thanks Pepin but I was lookking for a little more info from the guys that were there and saw it up close. I don't know if it's an"Experimental" one-off at this point or if they are mass producing them.

And was there a class measurer who measured and stamped it?

mass producing if enough people order them. Hard to say what is mass production in such a small set of boats. It was a nice looking sail. I like that manufacturers are going that direction but I think some of the people who have gone to the high (higher, I guess) aspect mains have had a bit of difficulty (well, maybe difficult is too strong of a word) tuning them right.
I believe Bert Rice Jr (in the pic, sailing the viper) also designs his own sails and works at Schurr sails at times (not 100% sure, but I think so).

Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: PTP] #230171
03/23/11 02:44 PM
03/23/11 02:44 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by PTP
I like that manufacturers are going that direction but I think some of the people who have gone to the high (higher, I guess) aspect mains have had a bit of difficulty (well, maybe difficult is too strong of a word) tuning them right.

+1

This is a trend we have been seeing in the all the formula and box rule classes for a while. With each rev of foils, sails and rig there will be a small bump in performance but it will take an increasingly higher skillset to maximize those improvements. That magic sweet spot will continue to get smaller and smaller, and the performance hit for falling out of the sweet spot will get increasingly more painful.

Some of us will have to make a choice, chase the potential performance gain and dedicate the stick time to maximize it or stay with a configuration that is more forgiving. It's nice to have options.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: David Ingram] #230175
03/23/11 03:27 PM
03/23/11 03:27 PM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by PTP
I like that manufacturers are going that direction but I think some of the people who have gone to the high (higher, I guess) aspect mains have had a bit of difficulty (well, maybe difficult is too strong of a word) tuning them right.

+1

This is a trend we have been seeing in the all the formula and box rule classes for a while. With each rev of foils, sails and rig there will be a small bump in performance but it will take an increasingly higher skillset to maximize those improvements. That magic sweet spot will continue to get smaller and smaller, and the performance hit for falling out of the sweet spot will get increasingly more painful.

Some of us will have to make a choice, chase the potential performance gain and dedicate the stick time to maximize it or stay with a configuration that is more forgiving. It's nice to have options.

I feel trend this is somewhat self regulating in the long term, although it adds a lot of expense to the sport.

Giant square tops, super high aspect foils etc all may have some theoretical performance gain over another design at some theoretical sea and or wind condition. If you sail a whole season, how many days do you get where the conditions are exactly the same? Most of the extreme feature “trend of the day” things, like the giant square top or the super long bows etc ,etc have all been tried on designs many years ago and I have yet to see much if anything truly new come out in the last 5 years or so.

A top level guy comes out and wins an (1) event and the lemmings all jump over the cliff having to equip their ride with the latest or upgrade. The top guys were going to win anyway, and most of the extreme features seem to have narrow windows for gain or require an added level of skill to realize. The average weekend warrior is not going to see squat with the change. In fact bouncing systems and using incorrect techniques, I feel, cause a loss in general performance for many.

The designs that have the most balance and range seem to stay. They do not generate the press. The builders have to pay for this research so the current balance with weekly “new features” getting spread over every boat sold – good idea or not.

Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: Timbo] #230183
03/23/11 05:01 PM
03/23/11 05:01 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Contact Hunter at Schurr Sails.

Re: Pensacol Performance mid-wnters???? [Re: Matt M] #230184
03/23/11 05:16 PM
03/23/11 05:16 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Part of the issue with f16s is the lack of a feeling that the sails designed for 2 up sailing is adequate for uni sailing. I don't think anyone sailing an a cat would think a sail cut for use with a Jib would perform as well on their boat. Now, an f16 isn't an A cat, but you get my point. Obviously the boat that brought this all up is slop rigged... but those of us sailing the boat mainly uni are wondering whether the higher aspect mains ala A cat would be better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022