09/06/01 08:37 PM
09/06/01 08:37 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline OP
veteran
dave mosley  Offline OP
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
I've been looking around trying to find a good site that not only has step-by-step instructions but also pix and diagrams on how to hot wire foils. Does anyone have some good info or website addresses? Im not sold on hot wire methods , so if you have a bette plan, let me know.
<br>
<br>Dave Mosley<br><br>

Attached Files
2312-h23.jpg (19 downloads)

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: building foils [Re: dave mosley] #2302
09/07/01 06:45 AM
09/07/01 06:45 AM
Crofton, MD
Todd Berget Offline
Todd Berget  Offline

Crofton, MD
some time back, Kevin Cook did a pretty extensive post on building foils. It was on the old forum, see if you can find it, or if someone has saved it. I can say first hand that the method he describes builds some of the best looking foils I've ever seen (he built the ones on my boat as well as the boat itself). Good luck and good sailing!!
<br>
<br>TB<br><br>

Attached Files
2320- (20 downloads)

Todd Nacra 20 www.wrcra.org
Re: building foils [Re: dave mosley] #2303
09/07/01 09:31 AM
09/07/01 09:31 AM
USA
NaCl H20 Offline
stranger
NaCl H20  Offline
stranger

USA
The following was posted by Phill Brander on the old forum some time a go.
<br>I saved it for future reference.
<br>
<br>He has pictures on his Web Site:
<br>http://www.geocities.com/phillbrander/
<br>
<br>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
<br>
<br>Low Tech Carbon Foils
<br>
<br>Posted by Phill Brander on December 29, 19100 at 05:28:04:
<br>
<br>Just in case there are any peple out there wanting to have a go at making some light weight foils.
<br>
<br>I've posted some pics on my web page (under "Chined Construction") of the boards I'm building. They really quite light and incredibley stiff.
<br>
<br>The way I went about it is as follows:-
<br>The rudders and centreboards I made by plotting a NACA 63009 section onto a section of aluminium for each. Then I filed it to that profile.
<br>
<br>I screwed this to a peice of cedar and used a router with a ball bearing bit to cut the cedar to the shape. Then glued some 100grit sandpaper to the cedar. This is to shape the foam.
<br>
<br>I used styrofoam rated at 300kpa. Ordered a 50mm sheet cut into 3 8mm sheets and 2 10mm sheets. Used the 8mm for the rudders and 10mm for the centreboards.
<br>
<br>So I obtained a sheet of plate glass. Applied some PVA as a release agent.
<br>Wet out some 6oz glass and vacuum bagged the foam to the glass. Then I set up a jig and used my cedar block with sandpaper to shape the foam. The glass backing stabilised the foam and allowed me to get really good trailing edges.
<br>
<br>Once this was done I routed out the foam of each rudder half where the rudder passes below the rudder stock and replaced it with cedar as a core that tapers away several inches below the rudder stock and goes up to the top of the rudder.
<br>
<br>
<br>The rudder layup was one layer at +36deg and one at -36deg, top to bottom.
<br>One layer straingth down the foil top to bottom and one layer straight but only
<br>half way down. Then one layer of 6oz plain weave glass over the carbon.(just something to sand when finishing them instead of weakening the carbon)
<br>
<br>Anyhow I vacuum bagged the layup and then cut away the 6oz glass and 20mm of foam from the leading edge of the rudder and bottom and filled this with glue before vacuuming the halves together.
<br>
<br>The sectional shape is exactly the same as my aluminium profile over the length of the blade.
<br>
<br>Both rudders and centreboards seem really true.
<br>They should be as true as the plate glass I used to vacuum them against. At least that was my theory.
<br>
<br>The layup of the centre boards was similar but I used end grain balsa where they pass through the bottom of the hull. Also the top of the board has only two layers of carbon as does the bottom while there is 4 layers where the board goes through the hull.
<br>
<br>I used 8 metres of 300gm uni for two rudders and another 8 metres for the two centreboards. (They weigh about the same.)
<br>
<br>The centreboards are 960mm long 210mm wide and weigh 1250 grams but they still need the top coat of polyurethane. But that won't add much weight. I doubt it will add much more than 50 grams.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Phill
<br>
<br>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<br>
<br>Later,
<br>e<br><br>

Attached Files
2326- (26 downloads)
Re: building foils [Re: dave mosley] #2304
09/07/01 10:47 PM
09/07/01 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My reference site for everything that relates to foils is Phil's Foils page. He has lots of links to get every aspects of subject
<br>
<br>http://www.magma.ca/~locker/foils/
<br>
<br>Franco P-19 45 (would need new foils !)<br><br>

Attached Files
2365- (16 downloads)
www.foils.org [Re: dave mosley] #2305
09/10/01 08:47 AM
09/10/01 08:47 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Everything about foils can be found in www.foils.org - International Hydrofoil Society.
<br>Take a look.<br><br>Luiz

Luiz

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 517 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022