S
Spence Offline OP
stranger
Spence  Offline OP
stranger
S

Adelaide, South Australia
Hi all

After a trip to East Lakes Vic a fortnight ago I am the very proud owner of a second hand Mozzie. Been off the water for about 9 years and it feels good to have a boat again!

Managed to get down to Adelaide Sailing Club on Sat to get the new toy wet, which turned out to be a interesting experience to say the least!

I realised very quickly that if I want to save myself the pain and agony of launching it i'll need to get my hands on a set of beach rollers or perhaps make some up myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Popped down on Sunday, hoping to catch some mozzies in action during the winter series but it didn't look like there was much happening at the Adelaide Sailing Club? Any idea on when/where a few of you might be out for a sail next? Hoping to have a look at some of the trailers/boats for some ideas.

Look forward to meeting you in the near future.

-Spence-

Mosquito Mk I: Smik - 1691
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: New to the Class [Re: Spence] #233261
06/06/11 05:06 AM
06/06/11 05:06 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
If you get accross to Sauna Sail this weekend you'll see a pile of the pesky insects buzzzing around

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: New to the Class [Re: Spence] #233288
06/07/11 03:03 AM
06/07/11 03:03 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Spence,

welcome to the swarm. I saw some action around Smik a few weeks back, wondered what was going on. Good luck with Smik, hope it's a good boat for you and it gets some use. It didn't get much use here.

Only place to buy a complete suitable trolley I know of would be AHPC. If you want to keep cost down and make your own you can buy the Bricky's trolley wheels with plastic centres (wider than wheel barrow) at most bearing supplies, then knock out the bearings and buy alloy tube of closest size to fit in hub and make up your own hull supports or buy them from JK Fibreglass (Vic) or possibly the Fibreglass Factory over there may make them.

Re: New to the Class [Re: ] #233290
06/07/11 05:14 AM
06/07/11 05:14 AM
To windward of you!
Sixth Element Offline
journeyman
Sixth Element  Offline
journeyman

To windward of you!
hi Spence,

Nice to hear we have another boat back over here is SA. As far as i know the next time some of us may be out would be the next winter series race at ASC. I am thinking about coming down for a sail (i sail at Lake Bonney). Apart from that if you want to get in touch with any of us for any help etc, all our commitee details are on our web site mossie.org.au . Drop us an email and we will add you to our mailing list too.

cheers,
Peter
SA measurer

Last edited by alegayter_mossie; 06/07/11 05:16 AM.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC
Re: New to the Class [Re: Sixth Element] #233307
06/07/11 05:01 PM
06/07/11 05:01 PM
Port Hedland
Beckit 1824 Offline
Beckit 1824  Offline

Port Hedland
Spence,
I have just made up a set of beach wheels for my mozzie. Got the cups from bendigo, axle was an old laser section, and plastic wheel barrow wheels I had to bore out a bit. A short length of PVC pipe either side of the wheels and some saddles to hold the tow bridle out and aluminum riveted it all together. Position on aft end of the dagger board case with bridle fwd to the dolphin striker and single rope aft for when you back up.
Just be careful how you secure it on your trailer, as if it can rotate and move it chews up the bottom of your boat. I drilled a hole through the axle and secure with a wing nut. This also means I can set it at an angle under the hulls to prevent stone chips when towing.

Re: New to the Class [Re: Beckit 1824] #233359
06/08/11 10:52 PM
06/08/11 10:52 PM
Simon_Hallsworth Offline
Simon_Hallsworth  Offline

Hi Spence,
Welcome to the class. Glad to see we have another mossie on the water here in SA. Tony Barrett from the FibreGlass Factory at Lonsdale can provide you with the supports, and is a very easy process to build the rest of the rollers. If you are looking for any assistance in setting up your boat let me know (or any of the SA committee) and we will be more than happy to come and give you a hand.

Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Simon
SA Vice President

Re: New to the Class [Re: Simon_Hallsworth] #233489
06/14/11 02:06 AM
06/14/11 02:06 AM
S
Spence Offline OP
stranger
Spence  Offline OP
stranger
S

Thanks for the warm welcome smile

Unfortunately the Sauna Sail was a little far out of my way for last weekend, as much as I enjoyed the first trip past melbourne it wasn;t something I wanted to do 2 weekends out of the month!

Peter/Simon - I have emailed the MCASA and ill submit an application to the association for the upcoming season just as soon as I can clear the mess on my desk.

beckit/thrice - thanks for the tips regarding the beach wheels, after a bit of shopping around i've very quickly realised that making them up myself is going to save me some much needed $$$.

Does anyone know of a local dealer in SA that can provide the balloon style wheels? I'm interested to see if there's a huge difference in price compared to using the wheelbarrow or brikkies style wheels?

Managed to get a hold of Tony Barrett from the FibreGlass Factory and he offered me a pretty good price on making up some cradles. I'll pop down tomorrow to have a chat with him.

I will spend some time working on the beach rollers and making some much needed modifications to my trailer before I bring Smik back down to the water, however i am keen to come out and meet some of the other mozzies and their skippers/crew. Can anyone confirm if the next race at ASC is on the 3rd July? What time does the race kick off and when do you guys usually arrive to get started?

-Spence-

Mosquito Mk I: Smik - 1691

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022