07/06/11 02:23 PM
07/06/11 02:23 PM
S
Stephen Offline OP
journeyman
Stephen  Offline OP
journeyman
S

I have been sailing for about 24 years, Prindle 16, Prindle 19, Hobie 20, Formula 16 in that order. I don't go day sailing anymore because of the time to rig and derig. I only go for several days at a time and only to the ocean where the shore is not going to destroy my boat. The local fleet use to be very active years ago and we raced a lot, those days are gone now. I have a nearby lake but it is very rocky and to dangerous for my Formula 16 anyway.

I would like to sail more often and have been considering the Wave so that I can go to the lake for a day trip. I know I will be giving up performance sailing but I think I would rather get to sail more often than once or twice a year.

I would love to start racing again with the local Portsmouth fleet at the lake but they are all mono's like lasers.

Will I be sorry if I give up my go fast boat and get a Wave?

I am also getting a little older and less interested in all the work for the amount of excitement I get in return.

Any thoughts from others that have been in my shoes.

Best regards,

Stephen
Phoenix Az
--Advertisement--
Re: Is a Wave in my future? [Re: Stephen] #234476
07/06/11 04:03 PM
07/06/11 04:03 PM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
I guarantee you'll go faster on a Wave than you will standing on the shore looking out at the water!

Keep the F16 for the special trips, but sail the Wave daily, and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Sailing against Lasers, you'll be pretty well matched, depending on the wind. Generally, they'll point higher, but you'll have the speed advantage (as long as there's decent wind).

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: Is a Wave in my future? [Re: IndyWave] #234492
07/06/11 11:56 PM
07/06/11 11:56 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

I have a Blade and a Wave (and a Mystere 4.3). You will not be disappointed with the Wave. Maybe you should look at a Mystere 4.3 before you decise. Come to Toledo and you can do both!

Re: Is a Wave in my future? [Re: Mike Fahle] #234560
07/08/11 09:37 AM
07/08/11 09:37 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
The Wave is probably the only growing class. I sail in two extremely active fleets, Put-in-Bay, OH in the summer, and Key Largo, FL in the winter. Last summer we got in 68 Series Races, and this year we are already at 40. Consequently, everyone gets better and better. I used to nail the starts, and now I have to work my buns off to get a good start.
So, stir up your old sailing buddies and get Waves. A lot of Two-up sailors buy two Waves, one for the skipper, and one for the crew, i.e., Paul and Kathryn Garlick, Dan and Kathy Kulkoski, Stan and Sharon Woodruff, Rick and Mary White, Dave and Leah White, et al.
And be sure to come to the many events we have around the country. Take a look at our website for info on the Nationals Series at www.WaveClass.com
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Is a Wave in my future? [Re: Stephen] #234582
07/08/11 06:24 PM
07/08/11 06:24 PM
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

After reading Rick's post, let me respond even better to the specific points you mentioned in your post. I like the Wave because it is simple - wonderfully simple. That is precisely what encourages it to be used when the other boats on my deck which are faster and more complicated, and take longer to get ready to sail, get passed over. It takes ME longer to get ready to sail (get the sunscreen on, the life jacket, sailing clothes, etc.) than the boat (get the mainsail out, raise it, hook on the mainsheet, attach the downhaul, and push off! While racing with other Waves, it feels fast and the boats create such even racing that the best way to do better is to sail better; as opposed to working harder on the boat. It is THE boat to teach a person to sail. It is comfortable, stable, won't turtle, and faster than any other starter boat. "Starter boat" is not an epithet - have Rick pull out stats on the number of National, North American, Olympian, and even World champs who have raced Waves. I have National and North American Championship titles in several classes and enjoy the close competition in Wave racing, and even better, the close comraderie among the competitors. I have written several articles for Rick's magazine about many of the Wave regattas I have participated in and why they were so fun. Once you buy a Wave you will realize that it requires so little maintenance that there is no good reason to ever let go of it since you do not have to sail it much to make it worth keeping. And even if you do decide to sell it some day you will find they hold their value much better than most boats do. So, go ahead and get a Wave - the risk / reward quotient is WAY in your favor as is the fun / hassle ratio!

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022