New boat? #23469
08/22/03 02:37 AM
08/22/03 02:37 AM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline OP
Jules_topcat  Offline OP

Australia
hey

Ok here it is, im buying a new boat yay. A new boat with all the new racing bits and peices. I have heard of alot of problems with the new mast that they are soft and flex alot and they only come with the rope jib halyard, first is this true. The second is i also heard if you put the wire haylard back on it makes the boat even more powerful and i was wondering why this is and if its not true why not? Are there any other problems?

Thanks people!

Jules_topcat
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: New boat? [Re: Jules_topcat] #23470
08/22/03 09:58 AM
08/22/03 09:58 AM
Bogie Offline
journeyman
Bogie  Offline
journeyman

Well, the 'new' masts with comp-tip do seem to flex a little more and seem to give up a little energy in a hard blow. This may be a good thing.

The 'rope jib halyard' is the Aussie jib system which you guys came up with. The jib system tensions the whole rig, once set up, and on the water. The old hobie jib system had the 3:1 purchase down at the mast base. This added a heavy compression along the length of the mast. So the Aussie system moved the purchase in front of the mast to reduce compression by 66%. Cool. The downside is having all this line, a whole lot more line to deal with. Most use a little pouch to store it all. The problem you're referring to is the Dacron line stretching more than the steel cable would. Some Aussie systems are made with spectra line than will resist stretching a lot more than the stock line. However it doesn't eliminate all the elasticity and stretch. Some of the energy of a strong slap of wind might be absorbed by the rigging instead of being transferred to the boat.

Re: New boat? [Re: Bogie] #23471
08/22/03 09:04 PM
08/22/03 09:04 PM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline OP
Jules_topcat  Offline OP

Australia
The new hobie 16s dont come with comp-tip because there not race legal!!

So if i get hit with a big gust the boat will take alittle longer to respond because the rigging will have to react first?? Is that right?

Jules_topcat
Re: New boat? [Re: Jules_topcat] #23472
08/23/03 07:43 AM
08/23/03 07:43 AM
Bogie Offline
journeyman
Bogie  Offline
journeyman

You'll have to describe your 'new mast'. As far as I know, in the U.S. Hobie still sells new boats with the comp-tip. In my 2003 catalog it's still the same. However, it might be different Down under, don't know.

I prefer the all aluminum mast and the old fashioned jib system, although I have the new stuff as well. I've been meaning to try the spectra line Aussie jib system. I got one last year, but haven't got around to trying it yet. While it may give a little, I don't expect it will be very much.

Re: New boat? [Re: Bogie] #23473
08/26/03 03:33 AM
08/26/03 03:33 AM
Australia
Jules_topcat Offline OP
Jules_topcat  Offline OP

Australia
But the new masts cant be made to have tomp tip because its not race legal. I know we cant in Australia!! So if your right will there be boats with comp tip at the worlds because i dont want to get there not knowing!!!

Jules_topcat
Re: New boat? [Re: Jules_topcat] #23474
08/29/03 12:18 AM
08/29/03 12:18 AM
Queensland, Australia
Philthy Offline
journeyman
Philthy  Offline
journeyman

Queensland, Australia
Gday Jules, I've just sailed my new boat last weekend at the Allboats regatta (Lake Cootharaba)and had a great time. I think this comp tip stuff is just in the North America region because of public liabilty hassles due to electocution hazzards. Our masts are definately all alloy, I agree there could be some take up in the rope jib system with gusts. We copped a 35 kt front at the regatta and I'm certain nearly all the slack in the forestay was taken up at times. This may also be just the new rope bedding in for the first time too, I'll check it out further next blow. My jib halyard came as a sprecta type core about 5mm I think, its stows neatly in the tramp pocket. Love the new boat and look forward to doing some more racing. Are you going to the nationals in January ? there should a huge fleet I've heard 80-90 H16s are likely.
Cheers Phil Palmer

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 410 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022