Waco, TX
S
sbmcruise Offline OP
stranger
sbmcruise  Offline OP
stranger
S

Waco, TX
I am looking at a decent used Wave on a trailer for $2000 or probably a little less. Problem is that it has a trashed main sail and am trying to figure out how much a main sail will cost me to determine if the boat makes any sense price wise.

I saw a couple brand new Hobie factory Wave mains sold on the secondary market (ebay etc) for about $550, but the two I knew about a couple of weeks ago have sold and no others have surfaced on these markets.

I see the following after market sails available:

Calvert High Modulus Cross-Cut 5 oz. White Dacron Sail for $ 588.00, including battens

Calvert TriRadial Cut Pentex Sail for $940, including battens

Calvert Color Load Path Technology Design $1.045, including battens

Others for about $600 in white or solid colors.

I really wanted a nice brightly colored sail, instead of white, but the new Hobie factory colored sails from my dealer are pretty pricy, as are the Calvert colored sails. I know we used to think that plain white sails kept their shape better than colored sails, especially multi-colored sails, but I’m guessing material technology has caught-up some here.

I expect I will be sailing the Wave primarily solo here in central Texas where our summer winds are usually light, but spring and fall winds can be much heavier.

My use will primarily be day sailing, but I would hate to rule out an occasional class race by buying a sail not legal for class racing. It seems after market sails of standard dimensions are OK at some regatta’s, but maybe not all?

If anyone knows where a good used Wave sail could be purchased for a reasonable price, please point me that direction.

I want to make a decision ASAP so I can get to sailing and I’m concerned that the usual 6-8 weeks wait for made-to-order sails will eat-up too much of my sailing season, so quick delivery is an issue also.

Help me make a good decision.

--Advertisement--
Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: sbmcruise] #233764
06/20/11 07:38 AM
06/20/11 07:38 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

You do not have to have a Hobie sail to be class legal, since all of the racing of Waves is un IWCA, which allows any sailmaker. The sail has to measure in , but you can have any sailmaker's sail.
On our store we have several sailmakers: Calvert, Whirlwind, Super Sails and SLO.
Whirlwind has colored Wave Sails.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: sbmcruise] #233980
06/23/11 10:42 AM
06/23/11 10:42 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
I can't help you on used sails but I need to point out something. You may already know that you are on the south edge of one the last Hobie Fleets left, Fleet 23 in Dallas. If you are planning to race in any of their events, you need to check with them and find out if they race Waves under IWCA or HCA rules or if they even care. The last time I checked Mid Americas was under HCA rules.

If you go in any other direction(Austin, Houston, Louisiana) you are welcome under any rules. To tell the truth, since it's a Wave, you could show up with anything short of a rigid wing and nobody would know the difference.

I sause a Calvert Load Path becuse I have found that type of sail lasts longer in the weekly racing I do. While I like the sail, I will probably go with a local sailmaker for my next oneI have 3 1st class lofts in my area and having the sailmaker put the sail up and show you what they designed it to look like is worth weeks of work.

From my experience for a avaialble sail, I would try Rick's, the Boaters Resale shops, then Hobie dealers like KO in Houston and if they can't help, try Bank's Sails in Houston. I have talked to Bank's about building a Wave sail and they have measurements.

Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: carlbohannon] #234034
06/24/11 02:09 PM
06/24/11 02:09 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Carl, if you get good local sailmaker involved, I would be highly interested in retailing for them. Our store has sold a lot of Wave sails in the last couple of years. At this point Calvert has designed the best ones.
I would appreciate your matching me up with a good sailmaker
Thanks.
Rick

Rick White
Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: RickWhite] #234493
07/06/11 11:59 PM
07/06/11 11:59 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Just for the clarity of the readers, Rick, you mean that Calvert has designed the best sails that your store sells. He definitely has not designed the best Wave sails.

Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: Mike Fahle] #234556
07/08/11 09:27 AM
07/08/11 09:27 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Have to disagree. The Calvert sails are always in the top and often winners of most major events. This past fall I gave Leah a sail that was bit too flat for me and she has not lost a race since, except one when she retired. And Dave is usually right behind her. Woodruff smokes with his, and Abbey always does better with his Calvert than any other sail he has.
Rick

Rick White
Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: RickWhite] #234583
07/08/11 06:26 PM
07/08/11 06:26 PM
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

I have no problem agreeing to disagree!

Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: RickWhite] #234860
07/14/11 11:28 AM
07/14/11 11:28 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Originally Posted by RickWhite
You do not have to have a Hobie sail to be class legal, since all of the racing of Waves is un IWCA

You might be closer to reality by saying "most"... likely just "many", but certainly not "all" Wave races are IWCA. Maybe... "all IWCA races are under IWCA rules".

The Hobie Class Association does offer events for Waves which are under IHCA rules requiring a Hobie Class approved sail. I have personally sailed in HCA Wave events over here on the West Coast, a number of times. Fyi... the HCA events that I have sailed have been focused on entry level and youth. I sailed those events with my son.

Note that the standard and class-approved sails from Hobie Cat are sometimes the less expensive option as well. Some of the custom sails being pushed are not cheap.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Replacement Main Sail [Re: mmiller] #234908
07/15/11 01:54 PM
07/15/11 01:54 PM
Albenarle NC
J
jackbr549 Offline
journeyman
jackbr549  Offline
journeyman
J

Albenarle NC
Mike
Agreeing to disagree may be the first thing you have been in 100% agreement on. Let the big man sail enjoy the Wave.
Reggie

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 599 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022