08/14/11 01:56 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by sail7seas
In the winner takes all race, I wonder why Tactician JK did not cover Tactician GA on second downwind leg, and give ETNZ so much leverage over OR-S?

I think they got rattled when they missed spotting the leeward(?) mark and never got back on their A game.Then the lack of a cover after they were passed let Artemis get by. Seems Deano is on his A game, with more boatspeed, no matter what. It's pretty obvious they will be a major threat in the big game.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #236311
08/14/11 05:50 PM
08/14/11 05:50 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
In the winner takes all race, I wonder why Tactician JK did not cover Tactician GA on second downwind leg, and give ETNZ so much leverage over OR-S?

I think they got rattled when they missed spotting the leeward(?) mark and never got back on their A game.Then the lack of a cover after they were passed let Artemis get by. Seems Deano is on his A game, with more boatspeed, no matter what. It's pretty obvious they will be a major threat in the big game.

NZ showed some real muscle this last week. I bet we see Oracle with some new head sails soon....but yeah, JK nailed it a couple of times and then not-so-much. It's easy to look at the helicopter views and sail from the arm chair though....but NZ seemed to really be in phase with the pressure and shirts almost every race.

Jake Kohl
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Jake] #236315
08/14/11 07:47 PM
08/14/11 07:47 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
What puzzles me is OR-S had a commanding lead,
These guys have tons of match racing experience and failed to cover (spend some lead)?

Stay in between the next mark and your competitor, keep leverage to a minimum,
and spend some of that lead to maintain cover (Match Racing 101).

Perhaps the pressure / speed intoxicated them or got rattled as mention above?
How many times have you failed to cover and lost?

How about throwing the race. How unexciting would it be if Jmmy wins all the time. They don't want to kill the contest.

Last edited by sail7seas; 08/14/11 07:53 PM.
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: sail7seas] #236318
08/14/11 10:20 PM
08/14/11 10:20 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
What puzzles me is OR-S had a commanding lead,
These guys have tons of match racing experience and failed to cover (spend some lead)?

Stay in between the next mark and your competitor, keep leverage to a minimum,
and spend some of that lead to maintain cover (Match Racing 101).

Perhaps the pressure / speed intoxicated them or got rattled as mention above?
How many times have you failed to cover and lost?

How about throwing the race. How unexciting would it be if Jmmy wins all the time. They don't want to kill the contest.

And ETNZ needs sponsors,but with the ETNZ boycott of the AC website I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be the team du jour if the AC management was crazy enough to try and get away with that.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #236321
08/14/11 11:33 PM
08/14/11 11:33 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
From what I saw, it was so puffy and shifty, I think they were more focused on finding the next puff and staying in it than covering the guys behind them...

Been there, done that, every year at Wildcat and last year at Tradewinds there were a lot of puffs/shifts that would draw you away from covering.

Blade F16
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Timbo] #236329
08/15/11 07:57 AM
08/15/11 07:57 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Timbo
From what I saw, it was so puffy and shifty, I think they were more focused on finding the next puff and staying in it than covering the guys behind them...

Been there, done that, every year at Wildcat and last year at Tradewinds there were a lot of puffs/shifts that would draw you away from covering.

It is possible to have too much of a lead. If boat speed isn't a problem, like someone mentioned earlier, cash in a little of that lead to cover cover cover so you can stay near the same wind system of your competition. Whether you cross the line with a 3 minute or a 3 second lead, it's still a win.

That gybe by Spithill (who was on starboard) to try and blanket NZ when NZ first got the lead baffled me. Even if they pulled that off and were able to blanket them, they wouldn't have been able to pass them since NZ was lower down the course and NZ would still have the inside track to get back to the mark. I believe they would have been better served to make NZ duck and carry that gybe out a short distance toward the middle and make the call for the gybe back for the layline (and hope to cross) or based on the available pressure / angle. NZ made a huge gain on that side so it shouldn't have been a horrible idea to go that way and hope you gained a couple of boat lengths.

Jake Kohl
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Jake] #236333
08/15/11 09:06 AM
08/15/11 09:06 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like these boats in and of themselves. I know the 72s are supposed to be the ultimate, but I hope these boats catch on as a class.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: pgp] #236432
08/18/11 06:31 AM
08/18/11 06:31 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Some sad news for beachcat sailors frown

Mitch Booth leaves China Team
China Team, the Chinese challenger for the 34th America’s Cup, has decided to part ways with its skipper Mitch Booth after the first AC World Series in Cascais, Portugal, last week. China Team started the week on a strong note with many good results, notably coming third in the speed trial, and had some of the most magic moments of the event. China Team is in the process of finalizing the recruitment of another skipper to be announced shortly.
http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=87434&refre=y&ntid=118&rid=6

Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Tony_F18] #236433
08/18/11 06:36 AM
08/18/11 06:36 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not too surprised and suspect there will be more changes before it's all over.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: Tony_F18] #236438
08/18/11 09:50 AM
08/18/11 09:50 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Some sad news for beachcat sailors frown

Mitch Booth leaves China Team
China Team, the Chinese challenger for the 34th America’s Cup, has decided to part ways with its skipper Mitch Booth after the first AC World Series in Cascais, Portugal, last week. China Team started the week on a strong note with many good results, notably coming third in the speed trial, and had some of the most magic moments of the event. China Team is in the process of finalizing the recruitment of another skipper to be announced shortly.
http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=87434&refre=y&ntid=118&rid=6

The replacement should be interesting. Wonder if they'll bump Charlie up? Mitch had some great starts,more time in the boat would have certainly helped.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: pgp] #236446
08/18/11 12:55 PM
08/18/11 12:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Regarding Newport in 2012:

Originally Posted by pgp
I've never been up there. I assume it's crowded in summer but with this event it will probably be over the top and very expensive. Anybody know how to do it without spending a crazy amount of money?

No matter what you do, you want to book now. While that week is just before peak season starts (July 4 weekend is the real start of the crazy season), this event will most likely blow the doors off like a Jazz Festival or Tall Ships weekend (they call in the National Guard to help control traffic, all over the city, not just downtown).

Best option is probably to rent a house or apartment for the week, and bring lots of “relatives” to help split the cost. Technically, there are laws/ordinances that you need to consider. They frown on you putting 20 guys in a two-bedroom apartment, but unless you have a difficult neighbor, and/or are making a ton of noise, no one will likely notice.

There are also options for RVs: Fort Getty in Jamestown, and Paradise Park in Middletown (there is also a park over by Second Beach in Middletown).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: America's Cup Cascais Coverage [Re: brucat] #236452
08/18/11 01:26 PM
08/18/11 01:26 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 595 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022