08/10/11 01:16 PM
08/10/11 01:16 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

I was just informed that Skip Kaub has suggested the NAs be changed to be at Buzzelli Memorial Regatta at the Sarasota Sailing Club in Sarasota, FL
Here is the post we have in our events page:
Oct 21-23 -- Buzzelli Memorial Regatta, Sarasota Sailing Club, Sarasota, FL, This will be a Wave National Series Event,
This will not be official until I contact that club and get their approval.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
--Advertisement--
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: RickWhite] #236084
08/10/11 02:32 PM
08/10/11 02:32 PM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

The Indianapolis Sailing Club is hosting a Thistle-Highlander regatta that weekend on Geist Reservoir (across town). If you want, I can inquire about us piggy-backing on that. Both those fleets are smaller than in years past, so they may welcome the extra participants. The Committee Boat and Safety Boats will already be on the water, and the clubhouse will be serving dinner. The PRO is a friend of mine, so I can ask him for a favor (our own course). I can get with Skip to see what else he had in mind.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: IndyWave] #236116
08/11/11 07:54 AM
08/11/11 07:54 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the heads up. However, Sarasota Sailing Club has accepted the offer and are very happy about it.
Otherwise, that would have been a very good choice.
Rick

Rick White
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: RickWhite] #236119
08/11/11 08:04 AM
08/11/11 08:04 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

OK, Sarasota Sailing Club has welcomed us with open arms. They do NOT yet have the NOR prepared, but here it is from last year, and she says not much will be changed:

NOTICE OF RACE
1. Rules
The regatta will be governed by the current Racing Rules of Sailing except as changed by the Sailing
Instructions.
2. Eligibility – Open to ALL Multihull sailboats
One-Design, PHRF, and Portsmouth classes are expected. A One-Design class must have 4 or more entries.
If not enough boats to make a One-Design class, the vessel will be placed in the appropriate PHRF or
Portsmouth class. The RC will assign a rating to those boats without a valid PHRF certificate, which is final for
the event.
3. Registration
• Eligible boats may enter by completing the entry form which is the last page of this NOR and sending it with
the required fee and a current One-Design, PHRF, and/or Portsmouth certificate.
• Entries received postmarked after October 16 are considered an on-site entry and will have to pay the onsite
entry fee.
• Check-in / on-site registration will be held at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron:
o Stiletto Nationals (all others optional): Friday, October 22 from 0900-0930 hrs
o All others: Friday, October 22 from 1800-2000 hrs, and Saturday, October 23 from 09:00-0930 hrs
• Notices of changes will be posted on the Official Notice Board on the Pavilion at the Squadron
4. Sailing Instructions
• Friday race: at Squadron at the skippers briefing on Friday, October 22 at 1000 hrs
• Saturday & Sunday races: at Squadron at the skippers briefing on Saturday, October 23 at 1000 hrs
5. Courses and Scoring
• Courses will be sailed on Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Course descriptions will be posted on the
official notice board.
• Friday race will be long distance with start and finish near Sarasota Sailing Squadron. For non-Stiletto
Nationals participants, this Friday race is optional and will be scored as a practice race.
• Boats will be scored time on time. The low point scoring system will be used without a throw out. The
scoring for the Stiletto Nationals will be based on an aggregate of races from Friday through Sunday. The
scoring for the complete fleet will be based on an aggregate of races on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Awards
• Trophies will be awarded according the number of participants in each class.
7. Schedule of Events
Friday, October 22
0900-0930 hrs Check-in / on-site registration and complimentary breakfast
1000 Skippers briefing
1130 Warning signal
1800-2000 Check-in / on-site registration and finger food
Page 2 of 3
Saturday, October 23
0830-1000 hrs Check-in / on-site registration and complimentary breakfast
1000 Skippers briefing
1130 Warning signal
1730 Dinner and complimentary entertainment.
Sunday, October 24
0900-1000 hrs Complimentary breakfast. No Skippers briefing
1130 Warning signal
No races to start after 1430 hrs
Award Presentation to follow with complimentary pizza
8. Disclaimer of Liability
Competitors participate in the regatta entirely at their own risk. See RRS 4, Decision to Race. Neither the
organizing authority nor the host organization will accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or
death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.
9. Dockage & Accommodations
Sarasota Sailing Squadron provides complimentary dockage, tent and RV camping for this event, showers and
kitchen on-site. Contact the Sarasota Sailing Squadron for reservations 941-388-2355. There is a multitude of
hotels in the area.
10. Photographers and TV Rights
Competitors and participants give absolute right and permission for any photographs or video footage taken of
themselves or their boat to be published in any media whatsoever; for either editorial or advertising purposes, or
to be used in press information.
11. Amenities and Activities
Sarasota Sailing Squadron is walking distance from Mote Aquarium. Other attractions: beaches, Ringling
Museum, Selby Botanical Gardens, Jungle Gardens, and of course eclectic downtown Sarasota with great Bay
front & marina, art galleries, restaurants, shops, and clubs.
Check http://www.sarasotafl.org or http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/ for more details and
http://www.seesarasotalive.com/ for a view.
Additional details: Nana Bosma, Regatta Chair, at Nana@U-Boat.US or 941-306-7776

Rick White
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: RickWhite] #236122
08/11/11 08:20 AM
08/11/11 08:20 AM
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Well, bummer; I would have been happy to act as in-house host. Maybe we can get ISC on next year's schedule, either in the spring or fall, if ECSC is still being uncooperative. We have a regatta of some sort almost every weekend, April through October.

Several other classes hold their regionals or Nationals here on a regular basis, even classes we don't have in the club. It really is a top-notch facility. www.IndianapolisSailing.org (Notice I had the webmaster link to the IWCA site, if you click on Hobie Wave on the Portsmouth Fleet's page.)

We're actually getting enough Hobies back on board, that I may look into reviving the fleet. So far, the others haven't shown much interest in racing however.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: IndyWave] #236171
08/11/11 02:39 PM
08/11/11 02:39 PM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

We wanted it in Indy, but the bottom fell out and we were scrambling. Sorry. I would like to recommend you handling it next year. Any chance you can come to the Nationals with a proposal?
Thanks,
Rick

Rick White
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: RickWhite] #236274
08/13/11 08:51 AM
08/13/11 08:51 AM
Indiana
S
Skip Offline
stranger
Skip  Offline
stranger
S

Indiana
Just a word about the comments referring to the Eagle Creek Sailing Club on this post concerning the change of location for the Wave North Americans this year. There has never been a more accomodating and helpful group of people that I have had the pleasure of working with than the Eagle Creek Sailing Club. I have been organizing, promoting, and hosting the Wave regattas at Eagle Creek Sailing Club six different events over the last three years and I have yet to find a Sailing Club that has treated the Wave group with more consideration and respect. Always helpful, and flexible. Sure they were disappointed when the Wave group could not attend the last regatta. The club thought enough of the Wave group to put our name on their perpetual trophy and we did not show. I believe the change of location will allow more Wave sailors to participate in the event and have fun in the sun and I look forward to seeing you all down at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron!

Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: Skip] #236313
08/14/11 06:35 PM
08/14/11 06:35 PM
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

As it turns out, the organizers of ISC's Thistle-Highlander regatta would rather keep it a two-class event. They follow an all Scottish theme for the weekend, and do a fast series of short course races. They added a third fleet a couple years ago, and it slowed down the action too much. Politely, they declined my request.

When the ISC board meets next month, I can request a weekend for a Wave regatta. Do we have a weekend or season which would fit the IWCA schedule best? Or would you rather just stick with Eagle Creek?

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: IndyWave] #236327
08/15/11 07:46 AM
08/15/11 07:46 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

It would be best if you and Skip worked things out for Indy
Rick

Rick White
Re: Wave North Americans Change of Venue [Re: RickWhite] #236331
08/15/11 08:40 AM
08/15/11 08:40 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

If INDY doesn't work out, we can get with OSYC and see if they would like to be part of it. They have LOTS of Waves down there now and are fantastic at hosting events.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022