10/07/11 09:55 AM
10/07/11 09:55 AM
central New York
rad5.2 Offline OP
stranger
rad5.2  Offline OP
stranger

central New York
I lost my main traveler on my Nacra 5.2 the other day (10/5/11. It blew apart while going to weather. Yes, the mainsheet through it to the rear fairlead held the blocks down enough to sail back, but without any way to travel out. So I am looking for a replacement traveler assembly, and possibly the traveler track. My track isn’t too bad, and where the blocks were when it blew (about 4” out) is a little nicked up on the top, (but show more nicks further out from old age too) the underside of the lip is pretty smooth. I would guess the bearing’s ride under the lip, so I’m not sure about the need to replace my track. (thoughts?)

My 1984 boat had a Harken assembly, and I seem to remember that Harken offered a lifetime warranty on its hardware; can anyone shed light on this? Well, if that is not an option, I guess I’m still looking for a cheaper alternative than a new Harken 1250 from Murray’s for $200 plus shipping. I might even go for a used Schaefer car (older style) if it fits the same track.

Thanks in advance to any leads and/or info.

Bob – Syracuse, NY

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Wanted: Nacra main traveler assembly [Re: rad5.2] #238756
10/07/11 10:15 AM
10/07/11 10:15 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by rad5.2
I lost my main traveler on my Nacra 5.2 the other day (10/5/11. It blew apart while going to weather. Yes, the mainsheet through it to the rear fairlead held the blocks down enough to sail back, but without any way to travel out. So I am looking for a replacement traveler assembly, and possibly the traveler track. My track isn’t too bad, and where the blocks were when it blew (about 4” out) is a little nicked up on the top, (but show more nicks further out from old age too) the underside of the lip is pretty smooth. I would guess the bearing’s ride under the lip, so I’m not sure about the need to replace my track. (thoughts?)

My 1984 boat had a Harken assembly, and I seem to remember that Harken offered a lifetime warranty on its hardware; can anyone shed light on this? Well, if that is not an option, I guess I’m still looking for a cheaper alternative than a new Harken 1250 from Murray’s for $200 plus shipping. I might even go for a used Schaefer car (older style) if it fits the same track.

Thanks in advance to any leads and/or info.

Bob – Syracuse, NY

Harken is pretty much your only choice there. You might want to try calling them.

I don't know about a lifetime warranty but Harken does have great support. What failed on the traveler? Can you just repair it? Bearings are regular replacement items and the hardware / pins that hold everything together can be rebuilt/replaced without having to replace the whole thing. Older Nacras had a separate Harken t-track screwed/riveted to the rear beam. Later Nacras (86 and on?) have the track extruded into the aluminum rear beam so it's not replaceable.

If you just need bearings, you can get torlon bearings at industrial supply places like www.mcmaster.com

Loading bearings into the older non-captive ball cars is tricky and there is a special plastic loading tool for that...or you can use something water soluable like KY jelly to load the bearings and keep them in place while you slide the car onto the track.

Jake

Jake Kohl
Re: Wanted: Nacra main traveler assembly [Re: rad5.2] #238787
10/07/11 08:55 PM
10/07/11 08:55 PM
lesburn1 Offline
lesburn1  Offline

I have a NACRA 5.2 rear beam in the shed with the trav. still on it. If you just need the car I will ship it to you. If you need the track as well we will have to make other arrangements.

Les

lesburn1.blogspot.com

A-Cat USA 49
18Sq 49

member- Royal Society for Making Cool Stuff

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022