10/20/11 03:05 PM
10/20/11 03:05 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
A question being debated on the F16 forum. Is it easier to right a cat if the righting line is thrown over the upper hull than if the line is tied to the front beam just inside the hull? everything else is the same. assume the line is tied to your trap hook.
I think it would be easier to right it over the top hull.

Last edited by PTP; 10/20/11 03:06 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: PTP] #239207
10/20/11 07:35 PM
10/20/11 07:35 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by PTP
A question being debated on the F16 forum. Is it easier to right a cat if the righting line is thrown over the upper hull than if the line is tied to the front beam just inside the hull? everything else is the same. assume the line is tied to your trap hook.
I think it would be easier to right it over the top hull.

For starters, I'm not a fan of connecting the rope to my harness from a safety standpoint. But, if you're going to do that, where the righting line connects to either the inside (top) end of the main beam or around the hull makes no difference. It should only affect how easy it is to hang onto manually and would be easier to hang onto if it was thrown over the hull and carrying more of a downward angle to you.

From a physics perspective, the only thing that matters is how far away from the center of rotation (the hull in the water) your righting mass (your body) is. The further your body is away from the hull, the easier it is to right. Laying back flat gets your upper body further away from the center of rotation.

Jake Kohl
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Jake] #239209
10/20/11 07:55 PM
10/20/11 07:55 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Jake,
Are you sure you're right about this?
From experience it seems easier over the hull. It would put the righting line a foot and a half higher and 2 feet farther out( it's around the hull). I'm certainly no engineer but that's got to change the leverage in relation to the fulcrum.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #239213
10/20/11 10:18 PM
10/20/11 10:18 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Jake,
From experience it seems easier over the hull. It would put the righting line a foot and a half higher and 2 feet farther out( it's around the hull). I'm certainly no engineer but that's got to change the leverage in relation to the fulcrum.

If this image is what we're talking about ... yeah. No weights have shifted to give it more righting leverage between these two images. You can consider the person and the boat as one fixed system here. It might be easier to hang on with it over the hull - and you might be able to get lower to the water (getting more leverage) if the line is over the hull...but which way the line runs doesn't add anything to the equation with all other things being equal.

Attached Files
Graphic1.jpg (381 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Jake] #239214
10/21/11 12:00 AM
10/21/11 12:00 AM
Y
yurdle Offline
journeyman
yurdle  Offline
journeyman
Y

Sigh..I called this crazy talk in the other thread but it's right. As long as the weight is fixed and in the same place, the righting force is the same. Move the line farther down and in reality all sorts of things would break, but the righting wouldn't change.

Same way having feet in hiking straps or torso hooked to trapeze doesn't change anything provided you're in the same spot both ways.

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Jake] #239219
10/21/11 11:36 AM
10/21/11 11:36 AM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

Originally Posted by Jake
From a physics perspective, the only thing that matters is how far away from the center of rotation (the hull in the water) your righting mass (your body) is.

This is absolutely correct. The boat doesn't "care" whether the line is over the hull, under the hull, or if you use a pole, etc. The only thing that matters is the location of your center of mass relative to the axis of rotation. Different line positions may make it easier to hold onto the rope, but they have NO affect on whether the boat comes up or not. It's also important to consider wind and wave conditions as these will greatly help or hinder your righting success.

As for using your trap harness to right the boat, I like to throw two wraps of righting line around my hook and then just hand hold it. This provides enough friction to easily hold my body up with one hand, yet as soon as I release the line, it will easily slide out of the hook.

sm

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Jake] #239224
10/21/11 07:09 PM
10/21/11 07:09 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Jake,

If this image is what we're talking about ... yeah. No weights have shifted to give it more righting leverage between these two images. You can consider the person and the boat as one fixed system here. It might be easier to hang on with it over the hull - and you might be able to get lower to the water (getting more leverage) if the line is over the hull...but which way the line runs doesn't add anything to the equation with all other things being equal.

So by that logic, you could put the line anywhere up or down the crossbeam and the righting moment would be the same? Might be right, but I ain't buyin' it. Put the line at mid beam or 3/4 and it will be harder to right, so why wouldn't that change at the top also? You have a longer lever.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #239234
10/22/11 07:50 PM
10/22/11 07:50 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
The 'lever' is how far you get your CG, or CM away form the fulcrum, or axis, which is somwhere in the bottom hull.

You could hang from the top board, and b/c it gets your CG out from the fulcrum, the boat will right, you don't need a 'line'.
I do use a line however, kinda hard to get up to the top board, etc.

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #239252
10/24/11 08:59 AM
10/24/11 08:59 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile

So by that logic, you could put the line anywhere up or down the crossbeam and the righting moment would be the same? Might be right, but I ain't buyin' it. Put the line at mid beam or 3/4 and it will be harder to right, so why wouldn't that change at the top also? You have a longer lever.

Not anywhere. All the way down the crossbeam won't work.
Assuming you can keep the body straight (using the harness for instance), the effect is exactly the same, as said. But the lower the attachment, the higher the rope tension, so you it will be harder actually. Not harder to right the boat but to stay straight.

Last edited by Andinista; 10/24/11 09:45 AM.
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Todd_Sails] #239253
10/24/11 09:16 AM
10/24/11 09:16 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by Just Todd
The 'lever' is how far you get your CG, or CM away form the fulcrum, or axis, which is somwhere in the bottom hull.

Not just that, the angle of your body matters too. It can be seen as how far is the projection of your CG on the water. If you were able to stay horizontal, just above water, it would be the most effective position.
The force vector is gravity, vertical. The lever is the distance between the vector line and the center of rotation. That distance is measured by projecting the perpedicular line from the center of rotation towards the vector line. That is the horizontal distance between the lower hull and the projection of your CG on the water.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Andinista; 10/24/11 09:35 AM.
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Andinista] #239254
10/24/11 09:32 AM
10/24/11 09:32 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
If I walked out to the tip of those super-long daggar boards, I wouldn't need a righting line at all, would I?

Jay

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Andinista] #239257
10/24/11 09:47 AM
10/24/11 09:47 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by Andinista
[[Linked Image]

Same thing for hiking, by the way.

Last edited by Andinista; 10/24/11 09:49 AM.
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Jake] #239261
10/24/11 10:51 AM
10/24/11 10:51 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
For starters, I'm not a fan of connecting the rope to my harness from a safety standpoint.

I once talked a writer into including a scene where a sailor was being drowned slowly and horribly because the monster attached the sailors harness to a righting bar. It was a proposed low budget horror movie. It was so low budget they wanted to borrow catamarans and sailors. The scene didn't make it through editing and they never found anyone to back the movie.

It would have been a great clip to show all new sailors.

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Andinista] #239266
10/24/11 12:09 PM
10/24/11 12:09 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
The problem with this sketch is vector Fy(b) is on the wrong side of the C.B. at 'A'?

Attached Files
RIGHT2.JPG (250 downloads)
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: sail7seas] #239267
10/24/11 12:29 PM
10/24/11 12:29 PM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
I can't really follow the detail that you added, but aside wind effect, the only forces that matter here are the weight of the person and the boat, and their correspondent lever arms. The rest cancels out.. You could also take the person out of the system you analyze and think of the rope tension as an external force, but it's worthless, the forces A, B and C that I think you are detailing (rope attached to three different positions right?) would have a different cos(anlge) but also a different magnitude, which gives the same result if the person is on the same position (except the rope has different tensions on each case).

Last edited by Andinista; 10/24/11 12:33 PM.
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Andinista] #239268
10/24/11 12:43 PM
10/24/11 12:43 PM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
I see. For some reason you are thinking about the effect of the feet at A and the rope at B and C.
Or maybe you are talking about what happens if you attach the rope at A. Well, the component is not reverted but goes to infinity as the attachment approaches to the actual center of rotation. Y component also goes to 0. If the rope and your arms are strong enough (and you are still a bit above), it would work too.

Last edited by Andinista; 10/24/11 12:45 PM.
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: Andinista] #239269
10/24/11 12:48 PM
10/24/11 12:48 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
Comparing attaching the rope at B or C.
The lever arm includes the vertical vector?
Assuming vector Fy(b) and vector Fy(c) are in the same vertical plane, and on the same side of the C.B., I AGREE with you. >...approaches to the actual center of rotation<
As drawn vector Fy(b) and vector Fy(c) are on opposite sides of the C.B. at A.

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: sail7seas] #239271
10/24/11 01:26 PM
10/24/11 01:26 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by sail7seas
The problem with this sketch is vector Fy(b) is on the wrong side of the C.B. at 'A'?

You're putting too much effort into it and the solution is getting lost in the analysis. The system we are evaluating is a static system where the sailor's position (weight) and the boat (including mast) are not moving in relation to each other and can be looked at as one fixed system at any instant in time. While this relationship does change as the boat is righting, we're only looking at the system in a fixed point in time so the forces at play will start to right the boat.

With a static system, it simply breaks down to where the center of mass of the combined system is in relation to the center of buoyancy (rotation). The sailor isn't moving in relation to the boat in this analysis so there's no point in looking at the individual loads on the line related to it's angle. If the line angle does get lower, the line carries more load to support the same weight of the sailor (because the angle is sharper) but that is offset by the beam it's connected to and the amount of force the sailor is having to use to hang onto the line - it cancels itself out of the equation. The line isn't doing anything but supporting the sailor and keeping the system static....so it doesn't matter if the line is higher or lower when you look at the system as a whole. Only if you were trying to minimize the amount of effort you needed to hold yourself up or minimize the amount of loading a fixture on the boat has to hold does the angle of that line come into play. On the system as a whole, the relationship is fixed, non-moving, and the details about the line do not matter.

If having the line over the hull vs. having it attached lower to the beam really did make a difference, all keel boat's keels would look like upside down "A"s since they would also want the support to the keel from the outer most point of the hull....but they don't because it doesn't matter. Only the amount of moment the weight applies to the fixed system comes into play - not how it's supported in the fixed system. Hence, typical keel boats use a slender fin to hold the bulb as far away from the center of buoyancy/rotation to get the most righting moment.

In the diagram below, all that matters to get the boat righted is that Fa+b is on the sailor side of the center of buoyancy marked with a circle and cross. Once it passes that center point, the boat is righting. Note, however, that my formula below is wrong...Fa+b in the formula should read Ma+b to represent the righting moment...weight times distance from the center of rotation. Or it should read Fa+b(Dc) where Dc is the distance the combined sailor and boat weight are from the center of buoyancy.

Attached Files
Graphic1.jpg (220 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: sail7seas] #239272
10/24/11 01:27 PM
10/24/11 01:27 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Can't help but think:
What's your Vector Victor?

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

Re: righting line position, engineering/physics needed [Re: ] #239273
10/24/11 02:05 PM
10/24/11 02:05 PM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022