Best spinnaker halyard line material?
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman. 03/31/24 10:31 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239611
11/01/11 02:18 PM
11/01/11 02:18 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
They could build a small fleet of F12s so kids would race before the main events. There are a few designs available almost for free. This would jump start the class of cats for kids that is needed to produce new catsailors. Check the F12 forum here.

Luiz
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Timbo] #239613
11/01/11 02:30 PM
11/01/11 02:30 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
You just mentioned one of their short term goals: Get 100,000 kids out on the water. Help organize the different clubs to supply beach cats at their different functions. This will be a big help to them and gets the kids out on beach cats.

You could have some sort of competition where the winners would get to ride on the AC boats.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239616
11/01/11 03:06 PM
11/01/11 03:06 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
And/or get both Hobie and Nacra to provide some boats (Waves and N450's) for an event just prior to the AC events, but have the kids (who don't know how to sail cats) sail with some of the AC crews, two up, and have some sort of team racing, ie. ETN vs. Oracle, etc., round robin, and as Craig mentioned above, winners go on board the big AC cats.

After the regatta, you sell the Waves and 450's to the Bay area Yacht Clubs so they can start a kids fleet.

Blade F16
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Timbo] #239713
11/03/11 02:54 PM
11/03/11 02:54 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Bump

A few reminders for this game

The AC Corp is not wanting to sponsor regattas that their sailors also compete in... They are focused on moving the AC into the mainstream... They don't see how sponsoring a worlds regatta... even for the sailors who race the AC will move their agenda..

So... they are not a charity and they are very focused!

We need synergy that works for them and us!

No need to focus on youth sailing... My understanding is that the San Fran requested the youth component as part of the deal to get the waterfront... The youth factor is a constant in all of our sailing goals.

The AC corporation is promoting their event....
they would be looking for ideas that move their agenda ...

What is the synergy and partnership opportunities? (I admit it is a tough challenge)

Thanks for playing!!!!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239714
11/03/11 03:09 PM
11/03/11 03:09 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
They want to move Billionair Yacht Racing into the "Mainstream" but don't want to promote youth sailing?

"The AC corporation is promoting their event....
they would be looking for ideas that move their agenda ..."

OK, so have them use an oval race course and crash them into each other at top speed, throw in some type of fire, and maybe have a few of them die in the process...then Joe Sixpack, that fat butt who sits on the couch every Sunday drinking Miller Light, will watch it.

Otherwise, I don't see a whole lot of Mainstream in it.

Blade F16
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239717
11/03/11 03:10 PM
11/03/11 03:10 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"They want to move Billionair Yacht Racing into the "Mainstream" but don't want to promote youth sailing?"

I'm sure they wouldn't object to billionaire utes.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: pgp] #239719
11/03/11 03:14 PM
11/03/11 03:14 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by pgp
"They want to move Billionair Yacht Racing into the "Mainstream" but don't want to promote youth sailing?"

I'm sure they wouldn't object to billionaire utes.

That's funny, I don't care who you are!

What are Trump's kids up to these days, or are they too old?

Blade F16
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Timbo] #239724
11/03/11 06:19 PM
11/03/11 06:19 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

In response to:

"The AC Corp is not wanting to sponsor regattas that their sailors also compete in... They are focused on moving the AC into the mainstream... They don't see how sponsoring a worlds regatta... even for the sailors who race the AC will move their agenda..

So... they are not a charity and they are very focused!

We need synergy that works for them and us!

No need to focus on youth sailing... My understanding is that the San Fran requested the youth component as part of the deal to get the waterfront... The youth factor is a constant in all of our sailing goals.

The AC corporation is promoting their event....
they would be looking for ideas that move their agenda ...

What is the synergy and partnership opportunities? (I admit it is a tough challenge)"

Mark Schneider

Corsair Marine has committed to sponsoring the 2013 US Trimaran Nationals and perhaps the PHRF Multihull Championship on San Francisco Bay.

This would also be a fine time to stage the 2013 US Sailing Catamaran Championship for the Hobie Alter Cup.

If the Americas Cup Corporation wishes to put on a boat show and multihull sailing festival - let's do it. We could enjoy the PHRF multihull championships for a couple days, a little AC action, a final day of PHRF racing, Opening day of the Alter Cup Regatta, more AC racing, Alter Cup racing on AC lay days - got game?

In 2009, during the MHC meeting and teleconference, Johnny Lovell recommended we add a slot for an AC team in the Alter Cup conditions for eligibility/honorary invitee.

It's a buyer's market, and the world is our oyster -
if we play our cards well.

br

Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239726
11/03/11 07:08 PM
11/03/11 07:08 PM
SE MI / NE IN
rehmbo Offline
enthusiast
rehmbo  Offline
enthusiast

SE MI / NE IN
For grass roots needs, it would be great if AC could put together an affiliation package that allows local groups to use logos, graphics, videos, etc. to help promote and grow local cat sailing events. Perhaps some kind of regionalized competition or lottery could result in a ride on one of the boats, etc.

The marketing materials could be targeted toward high schools and colleges that have sailing schools as well as various "cat friendly" clubs. It could also be used for promotion by local news, etc.

As well, there are still a huge number of "classic cats" out there that can still enjoy 90% of the thrill of the newer high-tech boats. It presents a much lower cost of entry for youth, and gives some of the more mature guys some motivation to get back in the game. A little exposure and/or reminder of what that feels like would go a long way.

As someone who got a little bored with monohull sailing 20yrs ago (and also let life get in the way) and discovered the adrenaline filled nature of cat sailing only just recently, I am all over this. This is a fantastic opportunity and should not be passed up.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239751
11/04/11 12:51 PM
11/04/11 12:51 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
They are focused on moving the AC into the mainstream... What is the synergy and partnership opportunities?

For less than USD 80.000,00 they can have two dozen F12s to make a junior AC before each race with the 24 (or 48) best sailors (cres) of 24 schools of each venue of the AC circuit. A boy/girl crew under 15 is suggested.

Optionals:

- Donate one F12 (about USD 3,000 cost)to the school that brings more supporters to the venue.
- F12s can be as similar to the AC45 as desired.
- AC teams may sponsor a few F12s with their colors/sponsor names.
- Make 24 wings for the event F12s, so they are exactly like the AC45. Do not donate the wings, just a normal F12, to reduce cost.

This would:

a) Foster (cat) sailing at kids level before the event.

b) Start the event a couple of weeks earlier at local level, for schools will have a preliminary race or regatta to select their representatives.

c) Give something local to write about for the local press.

d) Atract to the venue kids from 24 schools (with their parents, probably).

e) Associate the AC to kids and education.

f) Jump start the F12 class in each AC venue.

g) Probably make a profit by seling F12s to (wealthy) schools and parents, for the preliminary trials and after the event.

Luiz
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #239776
11/06/11 09:17 AM
11/06/11 09:17 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
I really like what the French are doing with their youth sailing centers, I'm convinced that this is the way to get as much kids sailing as possible.
Donating a single boat to a school, I dont see how that would work.

Having a professional sailing center where you can have regattas, coaching, and facilities like a lunchroom, showers, lockers.

Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Tony_F18] #239841
11/08/11 09:01 AM
11/08/11 09:01 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
I really like what the French are doing with their youth sailing centers, I'm convinced that this is the way to get as much kids sailing as possible.
Donating a single boat to a school, I dont see how that would work.

Having a professional sailing center where you can have regattas, coaching, and facilities like a lunchroom, showers, lockers.

Thanks, you are correct. The effect of donating one cat is negligible and adequate sailing schools are the best investment to foster sailing, hands down.

I just see more sinergy and results arising from the association of the AC45 circuit with school kids racing cats, than with making AC management somehow invest in sailing schools.

I guess you'll agree that donating one cat after 48 kids from 24 schools raced in that class in front of their parents and colleagues during an AC event is not the same as a simple donation. My take is that it would significantly increase the possibility that more boats are sold the same day and while the AC circus remains in town.

Suppose you are one of the kids who won the right to represent your school, just raced a cool cat that looks like an AC45, watched the AC45 race, the other school got one of those cats, dad will not buy an AC45, but could probably spare $3.000 so you can race against the guys from the other school. Will you want one? If there are a few F12 kits available right there, ready to take cartop home, would you try to get one on spot?

It is like allowing kids to race karts before an Indy race and then offer the karts for sale. It's actually better: it is the AC45 circuit, they don't race every second weekend like Indy, dad just cannot postpone to the other weekend...

This is all guesswork, obviously, but it is easy enough to ask a professional dealer what he thinks of the concept and if it could work for the cats he sells. If he gives a thumbs up, allow him to organize a preliminary race with his choice of cat and then offer the boats for sale during the AC45 event. If it works with adults from clubs buying expensive cats, it will work even better with school kids parents buying affordable cats - and it will certainly project a better image: not just using the event to sell boats, but to promote an eco-friendly sport among school kids.

Critics, comments and suggestions are welcome. Let's improve the proposal.

Luiz
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Luiz] #240260
11/17/11 08:24 PM
11/17/11 08:24 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
bump
Last chance to get some well thought out ideas on paper and send them to me.

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 11/17/11 08:24 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #240262
11/17/11 09:58 PM
11/17/11 09:58 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Meet and greets around the country, Pass/Punt/Kick type program (regional winners get paid trip to finals), stuff like that...

Mike

Re: HOW could the America's Cup support your particular Class [Re: Mark Schneider] #240272
11/18/11 12:12 PM
11/18/11 12:12 PM
coastrat Offline
stranger
coastrat  Offline
stranger

if it ain't on tv... it ain't mainstream...youtube ain't tv.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022