09/14/03 11:50 AM
09/14/03 11:50 AM
Sandy, UT
SteveBlevins Offline OP
journeyman
SteveBlevins  Offline OP
journeyman

Sandy, UT
Wouter, I was quite interested when you announced you were going to get a Taipan 4.9 some time ago. I was reviewing the F16hp forum and have a some questions. I'm posting on the open forum because I believe what you are doing should be of general usefulness. First, to me, the really exciting thing is that it appears you ordered a 'timber' or tortured ply boat. If this is so, who built it? Second, what modifications are you making to the stock T-4.9 besides increasing the beam to 2.5m? Also, is the mast height (with or without crane?) 8.5m or 9m? Your posting on quality/ price/ availability of parts was right on, but I'm unclear on the boards, rudders and rudder equipment for your boat. Did you order gear separately from the boat itself? Please, when you are able, tell the whole story, and when you will have it on the water.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: SteveBlevins] #24180
09/15/03 07:58 AM
09/15/03 07:58 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Steve,

>>First, to me, the really exciting thing is that it appears you ordered a 'timber' or tortured ply boat.

It is indeed a tortured ply platform, just the hulls of course. In many discussions with T-sailors they convinced me that it would be a dependable platform. Both in robustness (all in proportions of course; it is no H16 or P16, but that goes for both the ply and glass versions) and competitive life. The orginal Taipan design was in tortured ply and alot are still sailing from that time. In general old Taipans do really well in the Taipan nationals and Tortured ply platform have won these nationals as recently as 1999 or 2000 I believe. That combined with the fact that the class in Australia is very competitive convinced me that it would have a long competitive life; When build well of course. If you have two left hands that the end result will be accordingly.

Now that the hulls are finished I enjoy the Tortured ply aspect even more. It is on the beach at me club now (just brought it there) and it gets throughly checked out by the others cat sailors. However none of them realize that it is a "wooden" boat. And when I tell them that is is “timber” (Tortured ply is too much of a mouthfull) than they look at me as if I’m pulling their leg. The hulls are paited with two component poly urethane marine paint so the outside looks just like all the other boats except that the paint is a warm yellow colour. More than a few times I had to open the inspection hatches and show them the inside. Most of them still argue back the the outside of the hull is glassed as well (which it isn’t only the deck it) and that therefor looks and feels the same.

After the expoxy impregnated the ply the sides of the hull just firmed up and feel just like the glass sides of any other lightweight craft. The sides are actually stiffer than the sides of my Prindle 16 with is a full glass no core 1975 build.

I’m very satisfied with the end result and quite quickly I realized that I could bang my fist on the sides without much trouble. The high stress points are reinforced however with glass tape and resin. The sterns have an extra plate glued in to prevent my sterns being ripped out in a “rough patch of water”.

>>If this is so, who built it?

Okay I admit that I had help from others both in advice (a lot of this really) and construction. And the quality of the ens result shows this. Anybody willing to build his own set of hulls would do well to put his or her pride aside a listen carefully to others. Quite a few Australians have build these boats from ply and advances from the original plan have been made while doing so. There is actually another person overhere in the Netherlands who is building the F16 version from the Taipan plans and he has found a better way of doing the deck which simplies the construction and reduces the building time while keeping the outside shape the same. He has said he is seriously thinking about documenting it for future amateur builders. My hulls also have an intergrated trampoline track in the hulls instead of a alu trampoline track which is riveted to the hulls. I have a carbon-kevlar tube instead of the PVC tube that was suggested in James Sage comments ;

http://www.taipan.asn.au/~taipan/pages/timber_tips.htm

Both the Australians and ourselfs are trying to get as much of these tips in writing and photographs and available to the general public. At this time most is still in the heads of the builders.

At this link you also find a quote concerning the potential of building a boat of championship quality :” The end result was a boat which was visually almost indistinguishable from a glass boat and which goes just as fast. (the boats from our group have won two of the last three Nationals and placed second in the other plus numerous State Titles)”

>>Second, what modifications are you making to the stock T-4.9 besides increasing the beam to 2.5m?

I’ve recalculated the beams to account for the extra width. I arrived at the conclusion that I was better off with a different rearbeam at 2.5 mtr width and I prefered a mainbeam that was easier to source. The Taipan design uses a piece of a mastsection to act as a mainbeam (with a dolphinstriker setup of course). So I was looking to alter my mainbeam sections as well. Eventually I got lucky and an Aussie sailor heard about another sailor who had broken his mast. A good portion of the mast was still straight. Via the (homebuilder) network the section was send to me. So I eventually decided to go for the Taipan mainbeam section afterall, but I was lucky that others found a piece of a section. This wasn’t even however as my boat was still wider then the standard Taipan and we were not certain wether it would do the job well. So I altered my excel sheet with the calculations for the beam stiffness and strength. (that education in Mechanical Engineering wasn’t for nothing after all ! ) I found that I could get the stresses at the same or lower magnitude of the standard beam by lengthening the dolphinstriker strut. The stiffness in the vertical direction would be reduced to the lowest minimum value of the standard beam as well. I can only expect a little reduced rotational stiffness and horintal plane stiffness reduction. I figured that these would be corrected for by the stiffer round rearbeam. So I think the set of modified mainbeam and different rearbeam for give the net end result of the stiffnes for the wider platform when compared to the standard platform. Later when I discussed this with Greg Goodall of AHPC he indicated that the mainbeam was noticably overdimensioned and that it could take the extra width without the modifications. I still happy I modified it though, now at least I have a better stiffness in my mainbeam because of the mods even though the mods were not necessary from a load point of few.

So I lengthened the strut by a minimum of 25 mm or one inch. Now I was afraid that the striker would hit the waves a lot and hold back the boat with respect to speed. Later it turned out that this was a unfounded concern. The Aussies sailor assured me later that the striker strap “Doesn’t even notice the waves” It just cuts through it with causing noticeable drag, or so little of it that you as the skipper don’t notice it. Later I found while crewing on a standard T 4.9 that this was indeed true. Only when the mainbeam hits the waves will you notice a sharp decelleration as it is will all cats.

However by this time I had committed myself of placing the lowest part of the strap and strut no lower than where it is in the standard setup. This required my mainbeam to be placed higher on the hulls. This has an extra beneficiary side effect of placing the mainbeam higher above the water surface where by it is less likely it will hit the waves at speed. From an aestic point of view the best way to do this will to fill up the beamlanding with a solid block of filler with epoxy and move the beamlanding up by halve the mast section width. This is some 30 – 32 mm. Normally the forward deck is almost flush with the top of the mainbeam. On my boat and soon on several others too the mainbeam is halve recessed in the forward deck and the top halve is above the main deck. With the fairing and the shape of the beam (mastsection !) it looks and feels smooth and I’m quite happy with the result.

My rear beam is simply 80 X 2 mm round tube with spacers. It is my opinion that this looks more proportional to the platform than the alternatives. The best part about the rearbeam is that it is stiffer and less loaded up while it is lighter and longer than the standard beam. Only some 150 grams but still a win-win-win situation.

>>Also, is the mast height (with or without crane?) 8.5m or 9m?

AHPC and Pieter Saarberg had shipped me a 9,15 mtr mast section as I was planning to place a 9 mtr mast on the platform but the F16 rules were changed last november and it limits the masts to 8,5 mtr ex mastfoot ex crane. In the draft rules which we evaluated over the first year the rule allowed a spread in mastlengths. After the evaluation periode it was decided by class vote that this limit in combination with others should be altered to improof on the goals. I must admit that even though I have to cut down my own mast that the new limit is a good one. My mast will be very compareble to the standard Taipan 4.9 mast with the exception that I’ve changed the mastrotation setup and that I’m using proctor arm for my diamonds. I also don’t run my diamond wires of the mast plate but off brackets placed on the mast near the mastplate. Small mods really; nothing major.

>>Your posting on quality/ price/ availability of parts was right on, but I'm unclear on the boards, rudders and rudder equipment for your boat. Did you order gear separately from the boat itself?

Yes, I had a long hard thought about homebuilding the boards and ruddersblades but many gave me the advice to just buy these parts of some supplier like AHPC and save myself a whole of headaches and trouble. Many added that the price that AHPC asks for these parts makes homebuilding very uneconomical and the attractiveness of homebuilding these is really only the satisfaction of homebuilding. Buying them, is easier, faster, more dependable and only slightly more expensive. I decided that I did this for the sake of having a boat to sail and so decided to take the easy route.

I purchased directly :

Rudderstocks (AHPC)
Rudderblade (AHPC)
Daggerboards (AHPC)
Trampoline (Redhead sails)
Mainsail (Redhead sails
Spinnaker (Goodall Yacht sails)
Mast section (AHPC)
Crossbar (between tillers) laminate (I think carbon-glass or carbon Kevlar (AHPC)
Joystick (This feels as light as carbon but is more impact proof so it much be a mix with kevalr or glass or something) (AHPC; it was only some 85 Aus = 48 Euro’s or 50 USD and I’m not homebuilding when stuff comes that cheap)
Little stuff like wiring – terminals – spreaders from various suppliers like vidana, harken, ronstan, etc.

Yes I did order everything seperately. Some parts I ordered as a package; other came seperately; I did however combine shipments. So the mainbeam (from the broken mast) and my mainsail came in together in one crate; thanks to the help I received from a Australian Taipan enthousiast, that and of several others. Many thanks to all. A benefit of this approach was that I got pay the expenses of this boats in parts. It didn’t require any loans that way.

Luckily I can reply the kindness by doing the same thing to another homebuilder. Just two weeks ago an F18 sailor with a compatible mast section (for the beam that is) flipped his boat in a big surf and broke his mast while leaving the bottom part straight. The guy just kindly allowed me to go and pick up the part and take it with me for free so the other Dutchy can use it as a beam on his boat.

>>Please, when you are able, tell the whole story, and when you will have it on the water.

I will tell as much as I can write down in my lunchbreak ! About getting it in the water; I was suppost to sail the boat our clubs big REM race (110 cats from all over NL) but customs and other officials made life difficult for me so I received several important parts only recently. I’m all set with the exeption of the mast. I have the hounds and mastplate now But my season ends in two weeks. On the lakes the seacon continues for some 6 weeks but I’m not sure wether I want to finish the boat quickly to sail maybe 2 or 3 times before the season ends. The weather is turning ugly now. Late september and October sees in general geyish skies and strong winds; it is generally chilly too. I’m not sure I want to get to know my new boat in that. However on the other side there is one last race this season that would be a good promotion for the class. And with Three F16’s in NL and willing to come to the event it can be a good promotion too. I haven’t decided yet what I will do. With the expenses of the last packages I’m not actually sitting on a pile of green anymore. So how much is it worth to have a chance of sailing 2-3 times on my new boat ? I say a chance because the weather can go foul and not let me sail at all. But early next season I’m there.

I hope this answers your questions, steve

Ohh if you go to http://www.geocities.com/f16hpclass/F16HP_class_NL_association.html and look for the yellow hulls than you see a pic of my platform. Without the black trampoline as I didn't have that one at the time the picture was taken. You can just see the line that is the integrated trampoline track on the inner side of the starboard hull

With kind regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: Wouter] #24181
09/15/03 12:27 PM
09/15/03 12:27 PM
Switzerland
alutz Offline
enthusiast
alutz  Offline
enthusiast

Switzerland
Dear Wouter

I read your whole essay, about your new boat with interest!
congratulations to your courage, building your own boat! those pictures on your F16HP look good!

Must be hard to wait until next spring. but better be patient with sailing your boat, than destroing it in bad wetter! You will find the right conditions to do the first sail!

One question I have for you.
I' m thinking of increasing the width of my ventilo F18HT.
As I sail mostly with a crewweight between 120kg - 130kg. It is not a problem to control my boat in heavy winds, I 'm just thinking, that we will be more competitive and faster when the wind is up.

Since I found out that the Texel-Rating would not change, when I increase the width of the boat, it dosn't goes off my mind.

There are two options witch I discussed with favre (the builder of the ventilo's)
One are with carbonwings, the other idea is to exchange the beams and all depending spare parts.
My preference is to increase the beamswith from 2.5m to 2.75
instead of adding a wing of 50 cm.
What do you think, what would be better, how much righting moment will I gain!?

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST
And while you are at it.... [Re: alutz] #24182
09/15/03 04:20 PM
09/15/03 04:20 PM
Daytona Beach FL
TheoA Offline
TheoA  Offline

Daytona Beach FL
Anyone ever put 5.5sq beams on a 5.5uni?? I need a pair of beams sometime in the near future, as well as standing rigging... Tramp too.....

And there is a tilt trailer down the street for 100$

94 N5.5SL
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: Wouter] #24183
09/15/03 11:36 PM
09/15/03 11:36 PM
Sandy, UT
SteveBlevins Offline OP
journeyman
SteveBlevins  Offline OP
journeyman

Sandy, UT
Wout, you built the hulls, with help? Very nice! I didn't even consider that you would have had time, especially since you haven't built one before. 2 questions: 1) how much time do you and your associate have into building the hulls? 2) Is the layer of glass on the decks for wear resistance/ protection of the ply underneath? I'm looking forward to your reports on how she sails. I also appreciate the time you put into your replies. May you enjoy the work of your own hands.

Re: And while you are at it.... [Re: TheoA] #24184
09/16/03 01:21 AM
09/16/03 01:21 AM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

the Nacra 18 Square consists of 5.5 hulls and longer beams. I haven't converted one myself, but Tami Shelton, who bought my old one, has a set of beams and plans to go convertible at some time in the future. Email me and I'll give you her address if you like.

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: SteveBlevins] #24185
09/16/03 05:02 AM
09/16/03 05:02 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Gee, how much time was involved. I actually lost count. I've bought the plans from AHPC early 2001; and I'm still doing my mast. So at least some 2.5 years. You know maybe the amount of actual hours is not that high, certainly the other guy building here in NL does it alot quicker. He started early this year and is putting on his decks the comming weekends. If show the same speed in building up the beams and mast than he will be ready this winter and I have to take care that his boat sees water before me. No, my platform took a long time to come to be. Mind you, many homebuilders of these plans haven't builded a boat before. It is not that it is difficult; okay every job has it tought parts and the building plans could use a update; but you don't need to be a professional builder to get the job right. But I will echo the other builders in saying that a homebuilder must be willing to put in the time to finish the platform. Some say it will take 150 hours to complete; but these are continious hours and can (as in my case) quite rapidly translate into 2 years building when you don't commit yourself to building a significant amount of time each week.

With respect to costs ; don't expect to save to much on the whole project ; I think a achieved some 20 % savings. But I did get the craft that I wanted; in every detail. That was more the reason for homebuilding than the aspect of saving cost was. Right now AHPC has sold a Taipan 4.9 is full F16 format (wider, other rear beam, different mainsail etc) to another Dutch sailor and if that option was available at my time I may have decided to just purchase a boat rather than build it. Having said this; the platform does receive alot of complements on the beach and she does looks really well. This is very valuable in itself too. My main point is that one should caution against thinking to lightly about home building but when one is determined then one should not hesitate and just do it. And the Taipan building plans in combination with some careful building will produce a fine and dependable platform. At least that is my opinion.

>>2) Is the layer of glass on the decks for wear resistance/ protection of the ply underneath?

Yeah, and also for some stiffness and strenght. A bit of everything really. It doesn't weight much and it can have only positive effects. Mind you it is only on the deck between the beams.

>>I'm looking forward to your reports on how she sails.

Yeah me too !

With kind regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: And while you are at it.... [Re: Andrew] #24186
09/16/03 05:08 AM
09/16/03 05:08 AM
Australia (Queensland)
Berthos Offline
Berthos  Offline

Australia (Queensland)
Just to give you the latest on the performance of timber boats at Aussie Taipan Nationals....

At the Championships held in January this year in the Cat rigged class Ist place went to Glenn Ashby (current world A-class champion) on AUS155 and second to Noel Grellet on AUS003. Both these boats are timber boats.

AUS003 is of course the 3rd 4.9 built - around the late 80's and it is still competitive. Noel has won this event on many previous occasions and was thought to be nearly unbeatable in the Cat class... until Glenn came along... Glenn was consistenly about 3 minutes ahead of the rest of the fleet at the nats!! - a testament to his extraordinary ability and to the competitiveness of timber boats.

AUS155 is one of the "boats from our group" that Wouter mentioned in his post.

I sail a timber 4.9 as well (also one of "the group") and get the same reaction that Wouter does when he says that his boat is made of timber - disbelief. I also have had to remove the hatch covers to prove it.

Rob
Timber Taipan 4.9 AUS175.

If you are interested in a closer look at the 2003 Australian Taipan Championships Results and Reports see:

http://www.taipan.asn.au/~taipan/pages/2003Nats/2003_nats_frame_page.htm

Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: alutz] #24187
09/16/03 05:18 AM
09/16/03 05:18 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

>>>What do you think, what would be better, how much righting moment will I gain!?

Increase in righting moment ;

Wider beams :

old = 130 kg * 0,5 * 2,5 mtr + 125 kg * (2,5 mtr + 1 mtr ) = 600 kgmtr
new = 130 * 0,5 * 2,75 + 125 * (2.75 + 1) = 648 kgmtr

Racks

old = 130 kg * 0,5 * 2,5 mtr + 125 kg * (2,5 mtr + 1 mtr ) = 600 kgmtr
new = 130 kg * 0,5 * 2,5 mtr + 125 kg * (2,5 mtr + 0,5 + 1 mtr) = 663 kgmtr

So you get more with 50 cm racks than you do with 25 cm extra beam. But I would always prefer wider beams over racks. Racks will be heavier overall and tend to catch waves at the leeward side. That is unless you make then curve up like the ones on hobie 17 but i don't think that those wings are very practical.

The downside of wider beams however is that you also increase the stresses in the beams as well as the resulting strains (stiffness) Alot can be compensated for by adjusting your dolphinstriker but some 25 cm extra width is alot. You need to get new beam which have a heavier layup to arrive back at your old stifness.

The advantage of racks is that they can easily be removed and you don't need a tilt trailer for your boat or disassemble it every time you transport it.

You have to decide what is prefered by you.

I hope this helps

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: Wouter] #24188
09/16/03 08:06 AM
09/16/03 08:06 AM
Switzerland
alutz Offline
enthusiast
alutz  Offline
enthusiast

Switzerland
Dear Wouter

Thanks for the fast reply! Now I have really something to think about!

Good sailing!

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: alutz] #24189
09/16/03 10:28 AM
09/16/03 10:28 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I can use the excel sheet and run a few numbers if you think you can use those.

You may have to wait a few days as my PC crashed and I have to find an evening of spare time to sit behind me PC and fix it.

Actually I'm behind a PC doing this [censored] all day so when I leave work and get home I'm not really in the mood to spend an evening like that.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Wouter's new boat [Re: Wouter] #24190
09/16/03 11:31 AM
09/16/03 11:31 AM
Switzerland
alutz Offline
enthusiast
alutz  Offline
enthusiast

Switzerland
Thank you for your offer!

I can follow you, a computer that isn't working right, is more worse, than a day with rain and no wind!

BTW, I started a new thread about my subject, so my questions won't change the original subject.
In the new thread, I did some calculations for my boat.
So your opinions and reviews are very welcome!

Greetings Andi

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 683 guests, and 161 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022