Funny, got an email from Jim Glanden asking about tiller extensions. Here are the emails:
At 04:34 PM 1/2/2012, you wrote:
Hi Rick,
Have a good, cheap idea for a new tiller for the wave? I found a graphite golf shaft at the driving range and for some reason I had saved the metal end from a broken hotstick. It you take off the fiberglass you end up with a aluminum 5/8" rod about 2 1/2" long with hole already in it that fits in the yoke all Hobies use. I have access to a lathe (can be done carefully on a drill press) so I chucked up the rod and bored a hole in the other end just a little larger then the shaft and epoxied it in. Has a nice grip already on it. The first one I made from an golf iron shaft which is shorter than a driver. Going to the local golf shop and see if they have an old driver shaft for a longer tiller. All you need to purchase is the yoke for the cross bar.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Last week I simply took about 10' of small line, tied it to the end of each tiller arm near the crossbar and could sit ahead of the beam and steer perfectly by pulling on one end or the other. And while not in use it just laid on deck harmlessly and out of the way. However, it was not faster than normal body position, just a bit more comfortable. I tried getting way forward and lost ground downwind. Moving to around the hump (wind about 7-9 mph) was the fastest, but Leah still gained about 6 boat lengths in a half mile.

I would think using a stick of some kind with the old rudder system would be a pain in the butt. If I recall Big Whoop broke one at the Nationals when it got in the way.

The rope doesn't even have to be non-stretch.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com