01/23/12 03:07 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

This is a special posting for Matt, but others are welcome to join in. wink

This weekend is a chance to race other Mossies at Paynesville and legally find out who has the fastest Mossie tow car. Drag race meeting at the 1/8th mile track just outside Paynesville on Saturday, bring a helmet or I will lend you one enter on the day. Then race around the buoys at Paynesville (on Mossies) Sunday, if you are real keen you can come up Thursday and do the Australia Day race, (great cat course) and stay for the weekend. cool

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #242827
01/23/12 06:15 AM
01/23/12 06:15 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

Gary Gary Gary,
i would love to, but may have to work aust day, and going to torquey regatta on sat and sun. but please keep me posted

Matt

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: Matt_Stone] #242893
01/23/12 09:02 PM
01/23/12 09:02 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Geez Matt, you don't have to go to the other side of the state to stay away from my evil influcences mad.

But seriously enjoy Torquay, I certainly did most of the times I sailed there. Will be different for Daniel with all the Hobie crew there, keep a eye on him, make sure he doesn't get drawn back into the darkside grin.

Oh and watch out for the local Hobies barging on the start line crazy, they won't go up even if you call them. They told me thats how they allways start, couldn't understand why I didn't want to let them in, so they barged in anyway, not afraid of banging boats cry.

Anglesea race is great fun, difficult for newbies to find your way though, try to stay out from the coast a bit if there is a sea breeze it is lighter close to shore, experienced guy's tend to straight line it further out.

Most of all have fun and kick some Hobie butt. cool

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #242900
01/24/12 03:08 AM
01/24/12 03:08 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

thanks gary, i will be using spin too, thanks for the info.

matt

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: Matt_Stone] #243030
01/25/12 04:29 PM
01/25/12 04:29 PM
Rye, Melb, Vic, Australia
Peter_Lyons Offline
journeyman
Peter_Lyons  Offline
journeyman

There are currently blue-green algae warnings at
GLYC
It looked like pea soup (not joking) in places when we went out in the half cabin on Tuesday.

Mossie 1822
The Unsent Letter
Put one foot after the other, cos that's how we roll.
Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: Peter_Lyons] #243037
01/25/12 10:05 PM
01/25/12 10:05 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi all,

good to hear that our visiting Mossie sailor is around smile

Yes sailing has been cancelled at GLYC for the moment due to the algae.

So looks like the Drag strip will be the place to race this weekend, will I see you there Peter L wink.

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #243042
01/26/12 01:09 AM
01/26/12 01:09 AM
Peter_Lyons Offline
journeyman
Peter_Lyons  Offline
journeyman

I heard rumour of the algae on Friday night before I left home. Instead of 9 days at Paynesville with 3 races, I delayed my trip and went to Sugarloaf on Saturday as my daughter Zoe wanted to crew. We had 10-15 knots and one very good beat to windward twin trapping. Very happy with a result of 7th out of 25.
I have had a relaxing week at Paynesville with trips to the ocean beach for swimming / bodyboarding. Plenty of time spent drinking coffee and reading the paper at cafes. BBQ at sperm whale head today for Aus day returning around the back of Raymond Island under jib on the Sonata 7.
Unfortunately I can't stay for a trip to the drag strip as I will head back to Sugarloaf for Saturdays race. I hope the algae clears soon.

Mossie 1822
The Unsent Letter
Put one foot after the other, cos that's how we roll.
Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: Peter_Lyons] #243200
01/29/12 12:48 AM
01/29/12 12:48 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Pete,

hope you managed to fit a few beers into that busy schedule grin, sorry we didn't get to have a sail, hopefully Gippsland Lakes Race Week/Easter Regatta.

As for the Drag racing, it went well, it was what they call bracket racing, you do qualifying runs to get your best time and then they put you in brackets. I ended up in the 9 to 9.5 second bracket and you wouldn't believe it in the final I was up against another station wagon, but this was a stripped out track only VN commodore with a supercharged ecotec V6, sound familiar Matt? wink Anyway had to red line the Liberty GT to do it, but I beat him in the final, came away with the Trophy and $100. cool

Lots of late model Ford V8 utes, xr6 turbos and Calais etc but most where in a slower bracket, there where only two everyday drive cars in faster brackets both late model, a very hot Ford V8 Ute (with the back so low it couldn't tow) and a Ford GT (no tow bar). So the Liberty GT wasn't the fastest everyday drive there, but probably was the fastest Tow car. whistle By the way fastest ET was a Gemini Wagon with a 6.75, (full Drag Car lifting the front wheels of the start, awesomely fast crazy)

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #243204
01/29/12 06:26 AM
01/29/12 06:26 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

so there is hope for me still haha. glad you had a blast.

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: Matt_Stone] #243229
01/30/12 01:44 AM
01/30/12 01:44 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Matt,

you don't get off that easy, how was Torquay?

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #243230
01/30/12 03:01 AM
01/30/12 03:01 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

Torquay, where do i start,

there was about 30 boats all up most were hobies, but some some mossies were there who were myself Daniel, as cat rigged with spin, Ross B in no turbulence with his wife slooping, and Bob Wilson with his big rig.
Some other classes were there such as 1 Aclass, and 1 taipan with kite.

Saturday was the 2 big races, from Torquay to Anglsea and back. Started off in 12 knots with big swell and wind died out to about 5 knots. Bob took off in the mist, Unko was still on trap powering through leaving hobies for dead and daniel pfft, well out the back door. Ross beat daniel over the line (We couldn't use kite as it was 1 huge beat)
Got to shore and had lunch for 2 hours as waiting for the rest to finish.

2nd Race on the way back it was a downwind start, so after i got clear up goes kite and bye bye fleet, Unko Took a bullet over the live and daniel 3rd over line tiapan 2nd

After when the presentations were done for those 2 races, i had a look at the results and they put daniel and i down as "Aclass" i discussed with the race officer and changed them so over all i was coming 1st, at the time daniel 7th (13th placing one race)

Sunday we had 4 races around the bouys.
I was a bit um.... Unwell (hungover)1st race. it was about 12 knots. Ross didn't sail, aclass gone home, and tiapan gone too, so it was just daniel and i against the hobie fleet. Well we opened a huge can of "whoop butt" and flogged the fleet. in all races but 4th race as wind came up a bit more. out of 6 races i won 3 races out of the fleet and daniel won 3 races out of the fleet.

All in all 1st over all was UNKO (somers yc, 2nd over all Daniel Somers yc, and 3rd over all was Hobie 16 Michelle Bursa and chelsea H (somers) All from Somers. (So people Somers is the club to sail at haha.)

It was a fantastic weekend. good people good sailing.

Re: Fastest Mosquito Tow Car? [Re: ] #243313
01/31/12 08:40 PM
01/31/12 08:40 PM
Australia
Kryptonite Offline
stranger
Kryptonite  Offline
stranger

Australia
Correction to Matt's story, 6races Matt only got 2 bullets, the Aclass won the first race. Short course racing on the Sunday 4 races Matt got 1 bullet and I got 3, Matt really needs to work on his starts n I have to get my kite organised a bit quicker. We never read the sailing instructions, I want to get a look at them to see if there were meant to be any drops, cause if there were, it woulda been me on the top of the podium n Matt in second smile

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022