01/26/12 04:56 PM
01/26/12 04:56 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Every once in a while, usually once or twice a season and irrespective of which spin boat I'm sailing, my leeward spin sheet will get wrapped on the crew dogbone/Hobie handle/trap loop as I set and sheet in for the first run. It actually happened to me twice at Tradewinds; once when Mike and McKenzie were just below us in a tight rounding - it was an unwelcome addition to the already-exciting situation. It only seems to occur when it is breeze on, and only in the set. I've tried keeping the sheets coiled on the port (leeward for the set) and starboard sides of the tramp, and it happens even if I have the sheets through a retainer in the back of the trampoline (skipper country). It invariably delays sheeting in and pulling hard just makes it worse, as your pulling down on the crew's trapeze line (or cable) while the kite just flogs.

Spin crews - have you seen this? Suggestions for prevention (beyond not sailing with a kite wink )?

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: John Williams] #243077
01/26/12 05:22 PM
01/26/12 05:22 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by John Williams
Every once in a while, usually once or twice a season and irrespective of which spin boat I'm sailing, my leeward spin sheet will get wrapped on the crew dogbone/Hobie handle/trap loop as I set and sheet in for the first run. It actually happened to me twice at Tradewinds; once when Mike and McKenzie were just below us in a tight rounding - it was an unwelcome addition to the already-exciting situation. It only seems to occur when it is breeze on, and only in the set. I've tried keeping the sheets coiled on the port (leeward for the set) and starboard sides of the tramp, and it happens even if I have the sheets through a retainer in the back of the trampoline (skipper country). It invariably delays sheeting in and pulling hard just makes it worse, as your pulling down on the crew's trapeze line (or cable) while the kite just flogs.

Spin crews - have you seen this? Suggestions for prevention (beyond not sailing with a kite wink )?

Haven't experienced that - but maybe the skipper could take the slack up on the leeward sheet as the kite comes up? (careful not to sheet in and make the hoist harder). When driving, I've been working on getting most of the slack out of the sheet and having it held up so the crew can grab it and be almost home with the sheet when they're ready for it. (however, I completely forgot about working on this at Tradewinds).

Jake Kohl
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: John Williams] #243084
01/26/12 08:36 PM
01/26/12 08:36 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by John Williams

I think Dave Lennard has some slick sheet retraction/tensioning set-up, it may have come from Alex S. That should stop it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: John Williams] #243087
01/26/12 08:47 PM
01/26/12 08:47 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

There is a thread somewhere in either the F16 or Mossie forums about simple system that sucks your excess sheet into the snuffer along with the kite. Basically an extra retreival point.

Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: ] #243099
01/26/12 10:29 PM
01/26/12 10:29 PM

M
MarkMT
Unregistered
MarkMT
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
... simple system that sucks your excess sheet into the snuffer along with the kite.

You may be thinking of the approach Macca described at Racine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR6tLYE8hFE

Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: John Williams] #243100
01/26/12 10:31 PM
01/26/12 10:31 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
They talk about such a system in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR6tLYE8hFE

They also have a system that pulls the spinnaker sheet retainer ring further aft when the spin is snuffed.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: Jake] #243112
01/27/12 08:40 AM
01/27/12 08:40 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Jake

Haven't experienced that - but maybe the skipper could take the slack up on the leeward sheet as the kite comes up? (careful not to sheet in and make the hoist harder). When driving, I've been working on getting most of the slack out of the sheet and having it held up so the crew can grab it and be almost home with the sheet when they're ready for it. (however, I completely forgot about working on this at Tradewinds).

That's what I do and we've never had the issue you're describing. See, skippers aren't total loads.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: daniel_t] #243113
01/27/12 08:42 AM
01/27/12 08:42 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by daniel_t
They talk about such a system in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR6tLYE8hFE

They also have a system that pulls the spinnaker sheet retainer ring further aft when the spin is snuffed.

Maybe - but I presume the sheet is catching on the handle of the trap as the kite is going up and flogging - so the sheets might already be pulled out of the snuffer at that point.

I just had a duh-huh idea...I use trapeze donuts instead of the t-shaped item for trap handles and the sheet thing has never happened since. Betcha a hug from your girl that this will take care of it.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files
139.jpg (115 downloads)

Jake Kohl
Re: Spinnaker sheets wrapped... [Re: Jake] #243115
01/27/12 09:37 AM
01/27/12 09:37 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Jake
Betcha a hug from your girl that this will take care of it.

HAHAH

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022