09/20/03 01:25 AM
09/20/03 01:25 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline OP
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline OP
addict

Minnesota
Years ago, on Big Marine Lake, if a float plane landed, it was considered a novelty. In the last 7 or 8 years, they have landed with increasing frequency. In the last 2 years, they have at times become an annoyance. I have seen as many as 4 planes working the lake at the same time.

But the problem I've had with them while sailing, has me, well, -very concerned. In the last year-and-a half, I've had 3 uncomfortable close calls. The latest on Sept 13th. Unfortunately, this plane had the 'small' registration numbers on the tail. I gave him the finger salute as he went by. (The FAA said unfortunately planes over 30 years old are exempt from having standard sized numbers.) I won't go into the ugly details. I'm more interested in finding out if float planes are a common problem to sailors, or if the problems here are rare in other places.

It seems to me there is a built in conflict between sailboats and float planes. Planes have to land and take off into the wind. Sailboats like to cross the wind for fastest speed. When you are sitting on the windward side of the boat, the sail blocks your vision. Its difficult enough constantly looking under your sail for power boats and jet skis. BUT MUST I CONSTANTLY LOOK UP FOR AIRPLANES, TOO???

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Maybe there are some float plane associations we can educate about sailboats?

Thanks

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #24376
09/20/03 08:05 PM
09/20/03 08:05 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
On Blackwater Sound in Key Largo, our neighbor two doors over had a seaplane and a couple of ultralight float planes in their basin. Never any problem with them. I used to worry more about rental jet skis running into the planes because the renters are totally focused on the water 10 feet ahead of them.

What really amazed me was Chalks Airline, a seaplane operation between Miami and the Bahamas. Those planes would land and take off regularly in the Port of Miami channel, which is very busy with powerboat and sailboat traffic. Somehow they always managed to find an open space, but if you were in the channel with a sailboat, it was pretty harrowing sometimes, wondering if they were going to clear you.

Those were professional pilots, though. I can see how it could be a problem, real or perceived, on a small lake if there were a lot of float planes making that lake their home port.

This is something I think about because Rick is obsessed with getting a seaplane. I am obsessed with changing his mind.

Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #24377
09/21/03 04:49 PM
09/21/03 04:49 PM
Pennsylvania
mrw1 Offline
journeyman
mrw1  Offline
journeyman

Pennsylvania
As a float plane pilot, I can tell you that we are more worried about you than you are of us.If you keep tabs on where they are taking off and landing,there should not be a conflict.
Are they running a charter service or sight seeing tours? How many take offs and landings per day are there? we pilots are almost obsesive about being good neighbors because we face complaints on a daily basis. An airport or a seaplane base might exist for 50 years and then some bozo attorney buys property near by and spends his spare time trying to shut the operation down.It doesn't matter that this guy was fully aware of the airport at the time of purchase in his little mind, it has to go.
If you would like to educate yourself in the ways of seaplanes, try www.aopa.org and link to the seaplane assoc.

Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: mrw1] #24378
09/22/03 01:45 AM
09/22/03 01:45 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline OP
addict
addict

Minnesota
Well, I guess I'm running into the occational Bozo pilot who isn't more concerned about me, than I am of him.
My definition of a close call is that if one of us doesn't back off fairly soon, we are going to meet at the same point on the water. The last incident was a definite purposeful aggressive pilot. He had powered down and was just sitting on the water. I was already on a beam reach across the upwind part of the bay. He powered up and came from the downwind part of the bay. I seemed obvoius to me he was playing chicken with me. I had to abort and turn into irons. IF I WAS A JERK, I could of made it LOOK real scary. I chose instead to give him the single finger salute. He KNEW I was hot, because he came back for a touch and go and as he passed some what near me he loudly reved up his engine for a fraction of a second, just to egg me on.

Ever sport has it's jerks, but every time I see a float plane, guess who I'll remember most?

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #24379
09/22/03 08:55 AM
09/22/03 08:55 AM
Pennsylvania
mrw1 Offline
journeyman
mrw1  Offline
journeyman

Pennsylvania
There is a lot going on in a float plane during take offs and landings.We are keeping tabs on wind, current,waves,traffic both on the water and in the air.That is a VERY busy time.I can't imagine someone having the time or willing to take the chance of death or serious injury to play around with a sailboat on the water. Why don't you sail over to where these aircraft are docked and start a conversation with the pilots? There is a good chance they are unaware of your concerns and if you guys can get on the same page, it will be much safer for everyone.I fly off of a river and the pucker factor when there are boats in the area is high.Power boats drivers are a big problem but pwc guys, well...I'm sure you can relate.

Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: mrw1] #24380
09/22/03 11:51 PM
09/22/03 11:51 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline OP
addict
addict

Minnesota
They are not docked here. They just come to the lake mostly doing touch and goes. A few years ago, a rich guy had a small experimental type float plane he flew from the lake, but he was very careful about his operating and never was a problem. I did stop over at a place called Surfside sea plane base, about 10 miles away. The airport owner was not around, but the mechanic said I could look around. I didn't find the plane, there. I did get the phone number off a folder for the Minn. Seaplane Association. I gave the President a call and discussed the general issue with him, and whether it made sense to see if a discussion between sailors and pilots would be helpful. Per chance, he sails a Hobie, so he could identify with the sailing angle. He was open to having a speaker from the sailing community speak to his association. Since I'm not really anybody important in the local sailoing community, I said I try to find someone who is and is willing to speak. (Let that be a hint to anyone associated with the Bald Eagle Hobie Fleet, that I may be calling.)

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Float Planes- Have you had problems with them? [Re: Jeff Peterson] #24381
09/23/03 08:00 AM
09/23/03 08:00 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Way to go Jeff!

Jake Kohl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 595 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022