Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Have a Hobie Day!

You can quote me on that too, I guess. wink

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: David Ingram] #244164
02/16/12 05:37 PM
02/16/12 05:37 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I've been told to cool it, so I'm out

Who pray tell is that?

Nevertheless... somebody better try to convince the sailors in 6 out of 10 regions that this regatta is worth supporting.

I make the same case that I always have that handicap racing is an important piece of the US racing scene... a USSA championship that supports that agenda works for me. However, should you find a way to get the One design crowd in my world fired up about any version of a US championship and I will support it.

Of course I know my opinion is well in the minority... call me a happy warrior... (not that other thing grin)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244165
02/16/12 05:48 PM
02/16/12 05:48 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So what's next? Who colates and interprets the responses? Will the results be made public?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244167
02/16/12 06:22 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

I have been told that the results will be made public.

From there, two things are planned:

The Multihull Council (led by me) will review the data and prepare a long-term plan, for Jack and the Multihull Championship Committee to consider.

While that is being done, the data may also be used directly by the Multihull Championship Committee to help complete a bid package for an event for 2012. We have a very short timeframe to announce an NOR (March 15), in order to allow people to have time to plan their season.

I'm surprised that no one has asked, but the latter is the reason the survey was released now, and is only open for 5 days.

Mike

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244168
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I've been told to cool it, so I'm out

Who pray tell is that?

Nevertheless... somebody better try to convince the sailors in 6 out of 10 regions that this regatta is worth supporting.

I make the same case that I always have that handicap racing is an important piece of the US racing scene... a USSA championship that supports that agenda works for me. However, should you find a way to get the One design crowd in my world fired up about any version of a US championship and I will support it.

Of course I know my opinion is well in the minority... call me a happy warrior... (not that other thing grin)

Mark,
Have you ever considered that your negative, naysaying, doomsday is now repertoire is what makes the people around you not give a crap. Think about it.

Ding, Don't be a wuss and "cool it".
Speak your mind, many of us want to hear it and value your input , especially counter to USS.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244169
02/16/12 06:32 PM
02/16/12 06:32 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat

The Multihull Council (led by me) will review the data and prepare a long-term plan, for Jack and the Multihull Championship Committee to consider.

While that is being done, the data may also be used directly by the Multihull Championship Committee to help complete a bid package for an event for 2012. We have a very short timeframe to announce an NOR (March 15), in order to allow people to have time to plan their season.

I'm surprised that no one has asked, but the latter is the reason the survey was released now, and is only open for 5 days.

Mike

Mike ,
where is a list of the names of the people(the committee) involved with this?
Thanks.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244170
02/16/12 06:41 PM
02/16/12 06:41 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mike

Good deal! Any thoughts about where and when?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: pgp] #244171
02/16/12 06:53 PM
02/16/12 06:53 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Mike

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Mike ,
Thanks.

Well, there are two parts to this.

MHC list is here: http://racing.ussailing.org/Multihull/Multihull_Council.htm, we will likely ask for volunteers from that group to keep it nimble.

The Multihull Championship Committee is in the process of being reconstituted, which requires approval of the US Sailing Board, and will be announced soon.

Originally Posted by pgp

It will be published on the US Sailing website, I will provide a link to it here. Planned timeline is to coincide with the announcement of a 2012 event, March 15, as has been posted here: http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship.htm

If anyone can't see that we are trying to be as open as possible about this, call me to discuss.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: David Ingram] #244172
02/16/12 06:58 PM
02/16/12 06:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I have had a couple of informal discussions with some folks about this but I'm hearing that my opinion has been relayed a little out of context...so I want to say a couple of things. I've written a post in this thread about 8 times and there is so much involved, I'm having a hard time nailing down any significant point...so I'll stick to the boat type / choice.

Whatever we do, I believe we should compare whatever outcome is being discussed with one short statement about the event. I believe the event should strive to be the premier multihull championship from which the best multihull sailors within the US are determined.

I don't believe a handicap BYOB event is very elite. It's fun to think about and if the event is on the ropes of failure, it's worth a shot to see what happens. It would also be interesting to see sailors rotate on those different boats - assuming that the types of boats are spread out evenly and we could get something close to an even rotation among boats (very difficult). I would probably participate to get a taste for it but it's going to elevate "the boat" above "the sailors" and the championship focus will be tilted toward "the boat". Hell, the sailors already form lemon-opinions about the SMOD boats provided in the past (statistically, the boats have been proven to be exceptionally even).

I think that chartered used boats is a little better compromise but the condition and rigging of the boats is going to be very inconsistent unless an incredible amount of cash and effort is put into them...and most boat owners wouldn't dream of offering up their boat if someone is going to change lines around.

I much prefer the SMOD model we have now if it can be sustained. I got a lot of negative feedback the year Rick started talking about doing it on Hobie Waves (or Hobie 16s) although I was a fan of the idea...and still am. I would be there.

On the topic of SMOD boats, I think we've really been in a rut with the spin boats...but I also know that a lot of that is driven by what's hot and who would supply boats. I think making more wildly sweeping changes in the boat de jour would continue to make the event a little more prestigious and open to all the various "great sailors".

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244173
02/16/12 07:28 PM
02/16/12 07:28 PM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
I haven't had a chance to complete the survey, but will be doing it today. Just wanted to make a comment on the use of handicap for the event. Typically, I try to avoid handicap racing. I have sailed many keelboat events under both PHRF and IRC, and while some had great competition, others were just way too spread out to be fun.

Last week, I sailed the Thai Cat Regatta under Texel ratings. They used two starts, the first with Texel of 104 or less- so F18, F16, F20, A cat (w/spin), Tornado, and Spitfire. The second start was Hobie 16s, Dart 18s, 16 Squares, etc. I was actually very impressed by how close the racing was, especially between the F16s and F18s. I admit that tactically I was more concerned about the F18 subfleet, but we also made plays on other boats when appropriate. Unlike what Dave said, I felt that the regatta was less about equipment than the sailors. The winner was a three time olympian, second sails for Team Boskalis, third won a Hobie 16 youth worlds, etc.

I will be sailing in a Texel fleet again this weekend, this time on a F20carbon, and with a much more amateur fleet here in Singapore. It will give me a chance to evaluate the idea again. Is there a reason we don't use Texel in the US, seems to work very well worldwide?

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244174
02/16/12 07:29 PM
02/16/12 07:29 PM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

Has anyone else caught the irony that the alter cup qualifiers have always been a BYOB handicap format (at least for the past 10 years). And we have a huge vocal outcry against holding the championship under the same format...

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #244175
02/16/12 07:40 PM
02/16/12 07:40 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Mark,
Have you ever considered that your negative, naysaying, doomsday is now repertoire is what makes the people around you not give a crap. Think about it.

Ding, Don't be a wuss and "cool it".
Speak your mind, many of us want to hear it and value your input , especially counter to USS.

Todd.... there is a huge difference between criticism and disagreement and the Happy talk that you seem to desire.

But... campaigning for a cow pie kicking contest that you expect Dave to start.... is pretty low!

Do you have ANY thing... to contribute to the question of the USSA championship?... or do you just want to play a bad nanny debate moderator!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Jake] #244178
02/16/12 08:58 PM
02/16/12 08:58 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I believe the event should strive to be the premier multihull championship from which the best multihull sailors within the US are determined.

I don't believe a handicap BYOB event is very elite.

Jake
So which is it... premier.... Best.... or elite?

By "Premier" I assume that would be an event that supercedes NA's of the major NA classes. (F18's, A class, Hobie 16s) in the public's eye

How do you do this?
How do you expect the NA champ Hobie 16 team at 290 lbs to compete against the first place NA F18 team at 340? The teams suit the boats they race and they practice on their boat. So... you can race one design on a Hobie 16 or F18... but the inherent unfairness will not make the event "premier".... just tilted to one team or the other.

What event EVER determines the BEST multihull sailor? If last years NA or Alter cup champion does not show up and race... is the current winner somehow diminished? .... NO! How do you determine... "Who is the best multihull sailor"? Answer: you take a vote!
You have a championship regatta and you award the trophy... that is it! the comparison game of " BEST" is a fools errand left to the internet or a bar.

What do you mean by "elite"? The current process picks 10 competitors from One design classes and petitions and one of these guys usually win the thing. So at one level... the selection committee did a good job of picking an elite (selected by committee) field... But... saying that the US championship is more elite then the A class or F18 or H16 class NA's. is not a good thing. (think Linsanity if you watch the Nicks)
The hobie 16's have an invite only regatta in Puerto Rico run by Figaroa. I am sure it's great fun and based on resume, it is a very elite regatta with tough competition... but you don't hear the H16 class hyping this regatta over the Hobie 16 NA's.

Using the principle you proscribe leads to the unsupportable mess we have now!

You would be better of just cutting out the BS... Basically you want an invite only regatta for "elite or selected" sailors. Cut out the rest of the flim flam in your guiding principle and sell that!

Dave summed up the irony of it all when he noted that the qualifiers are decided on handicap... Why all the griping about a championship on handicap?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244181
02/16/12 09:28 PM
02/16/12 09:28 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mike

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Mike ,
Thanks.

Well, there are two parts to this.

MHC list is here: http://racing.ussailing.org/Multihull/Multihull_Council.htm, we will likely ask for volunteers from that group to keep it nimble.

The Multihull Championship Committee is in the process of being reconstituted, which requires approval of the US Sailing Board, and will be announced soon.

Originally Posted by pgp

It will be published on the US Sailing website, I will provide a link to it here. Planned timeline is to coincide with the announcement of a 2012 event, March 15, as has been posted here: http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship.htm

If anyone can't see that we are trying to be as open as possible about this, call me to discuss.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Well done.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244182
02/16/12 09:31 PM
02/16/12 09:31 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
I have tried to take the survey a couple of times... I just don't know enough to have formed an opinion for any of the questions... I'm too new to the multihull scene.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244183
02/16/12 09:33 PM
02/16/12 09:33 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I told Dave that I thought he was wasting his time. He may have interpreted that to mean, "cool it." I'm not worried about me and Dave.

I think I'm wasting my time, too, but here's something to ponder anyway. The people that have made the event happen, from Gordie to Dave and everyone in between, including our beloved Darline, poured blood, sweat and tears into making it what it became. Each of them walked away frustrated, disillusioned, or fatigued. Each was told what Mike is now being told by US Sailing, and each eagerly took up the task. Mike is aware and he's taking his turn anyway, for which he has my gratitude. The punch line is this - neither Liz Walker nor Steve Wrigley ever lifted a finger for the multihull events, except to write emails. The event was always run by hosts, volunteers and manufacturers, all of whom were ill-treated for their efforts at one point or another. From beam bolts to battens, start lines to buffet lines... there has been a parade of competent, committed enthusiasts involved every year.

The events (both youth and adult) have been sustainable, quality regattas with healthy (if market weary) bank balances. Dave's dismissal boils down to the simple fact that he and his committee were focused on a quality event - they were the boots on the ground - where US Sailing was increasingly focused on the marketing of that event to sponsors to cover operating costs. Not the costs of the event mind you, nor did more than a pittance (less than 10%) of that sponsorship actually benefit the hosts. There was no way to reconcile the conflict between the purpose of the volunteers with the purpose of US Sailing.

Jake has an informed opinion as a past Championship Chair and competitor. Like Jake, my name has been tagged onto the list of people who agree with a number of ideas, including handicapped racing for the title. Like Jake, I think my opinion has been rewritten and distorted.

The Alter Cup was unique in that it was as one-design as you could get - rotated boats, no tuning allowed, absolutely and mathematically proven to be equal equipment. It took racing in a handicap event to qualify for a spot, due in part to the Ted Stevens Sports act. Some may see irony in that relationship, but the handicap racing was the path to the finals - I see this as a clear and logical progression. The trophy was named for Hobie Alter, now a Hall of Famer, for his contributions to one design sailing. I think that if the US Multihull Championship becomes a handicap event, a name change should be considered in respect for the original deed of gift and the large donation from Bill Jolley that has sustained it for so long.

It should be telling that during the last House of Delegates conference call, the new Championships Chair expressed her understanding that the multihull championship events have been very poor in the last few years. Fortunately, Jerry Montgomery (a member of ABYC) was on the call; he corrected her and explained that the event last June was fantastic - full participation, incredible manufacturer support, enthusiastic volunteers that traveled great distances to help run the event, and very happy sailors. History is written by those who are left... ours is being written by people who never once attended an event.

I wish the new cast of characters the best of luck. As I have expressed privately when asked "What do you want in an Alter Cup?"

We had it already.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244189
02/16/12 10:43 PM
02/16/12 10:43 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
<****. I trust Dave.
As far as my contribution, I submitted my survey. All of this BS is just you stirring the pot .It makes no difference to US Sailing what gets said on this forum, that's already been stated. I can't believe you have the gall to say I'm starting a cow pie kicking contest (WTF) when damn near every post you put up is nothing but trolling and arguing just for the sake of arguing. You are a hypocritical douche nozzle. It's a good thing you do as much as you do for the Maryland folks.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: John Williams] #244191
02/16/12 10:49 PM
02/16/12 10:49 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by John Williams
I think that if the US Multihull Championship becomes a handicap event, a name change should be considered in respect for the original deed of gift and the large donation from Bill Jolley that has sustained it for so long.

I think it should be named after Darline. Especially if it's a handicap race .How fitting.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244192
02/16/12 10:55 PM
02/16/12 10:55 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
Being new to multihull racing, I'm not sure how much my opinion matters, but I will say that I first heard of the Alter Cup when I read about them selecting F16s for the competition.

The articles I read about the cup lead me to believe that it was a regatta that showcased new boat designs by having skilled sailors race them one design style. I really think there is a place for such a race format and based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like I was mistaken in my assumption... I think that's a shame.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244194
02/16/12 11:11 PM
02/16/12 11:11 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Yes, the irony Mike K mentioned has been noted. I'll discuss that after the survey is closed, so we don't skew any results.

Daniel, new perspective is good. The survey isn't a popularity contest, or intended for you to answer in a way you think other people want you to answer; it's intended to get your honest opinions on what would make you want to attend (or at least, respect the event).

John makes some good points, but don't hide behind smoke and mirrors. I have read the deed, there is absolutely no mention of one design. Same is true for H/J fund. No mention of one design.

While the event has developed through the years and has strong traditions, the original governing documents do not mention one design.

No one wants to have a lame event, there are just different opinions on what makes one great. Hence, the survey.

I will make an effort to have the deed published. One of my primary goals is improved tranparency.

Mike

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 944 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022