02/16/12 11:40 PM
02/16/12 11:40 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I'm not hiding Mike - I wish you well in the venture, but all you need to do is read what has been written about the event or talk to the guy who wrote the deed and landed Bill Jolley as our benefactor. The name Alter is not synonymous with handicap racing, my friend.

Carry on.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244196
02/16/12 11:41 PM
02/16/12 11:41 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Jake you withdrew your post

I did want to add the following

Premier event is about how well manged the regatta is. Props to all those including your self for making the regatta a first class... indeed premier regatta year after year in the past.

The problem is.. This championship is supposed to be a benefit of US Sailing Membership. The fundamental problem is that 6 out of 10 areas Don't give a damn about the regatta using this format and and don't even hold the first round of the championship.... This benefit has minimal value to the rank and file. The championship has been failing at its core mission for years and years. The BS that John Williams speaks of is not the fundamental problem.. The BS is just the reason that this years spring event was cancelled and the scramble is on for a fall regatta save.

The question is... What should be done moving forward... beyond the fubar of the 2012 championship this fall

Jake and JW propose continuing with an "elite" selection process for a One design class of 10 charter boats with no boat customization because of rotation. Variations of this idea believe that the Area championships can be incorporated.

I propose BYOB in a handicap class "like 2 person spinnaker class" with 10 charters available for those who win their area championship.

I have an agenda. JW, Jake and Dave all have their favorite agendas.

Kudo's to Mike L who is trying to get a true read on what the rank and file want from their US Sailing Championship benefit and is not bringing an agenda.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244197
02/17/12 12:14 AM
02/17/12 12:14 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I don't have an agenda, Mark, other than to push back against the notion that the event was a failure. You state flatly that the core mission was to benefit US Sailing, but I am certain that isn't what the volunteers believed was foremost. The mission was defined by the people that put the event on each year, and as Mike guesses, that mission evolved a bit over time as committee members came and went. But it seemed to me, for the time I was involved, to be grounded in the idea of producing a level playing field for the finals. You seem to think me, Jake and Dave are somehow in collusion - the only thing we all had in common was that we were chair of the adult event. We all three brought different ideas to the table, did our thing and moved on. We haven't even really discussed the current state of affairs, as we have each taken our turn and stepped aside. I don't remember you being there. I recall you vociferously declining the Area Rep position for several years.

Further, I didn't propose anything - I think what we had succeeded. But what we had isn't currently possible. Folks are looking for a way forward and that is fine. I'm sincerely glad for that and share in the hail for kudos.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244198
02/17/12 12:24 AM
02/17/12 12:24 AM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

John,

I know you mean well and have a long history with the event. What I am simply saying is that regardless of what people "think" the event is, the governing documents do not hold us to one-design, regardless of past events, or your personal history, trials and tribulations.

As for the name Alter equals one-design, well not exactly. I know that's what he built the sport on, but ask any non-cat sailor what Hobie means, and they say catamarans. Many people here have commented over the years that no matter what brand of boat they are on, they are occasionally referred to as Hobies.

Only Hobie Cat racers identify this with one-design racing. Most of the outside world doesn't even know that we have organized racing, of any kind.

And let's face it, it's not cat sailors that are running US Sailing, so we have to educate them.

Don't shoot the messenger, I am just trying to clear the air and stop the false perceptions, because they can only serve to make us fail.

Just as everyone here freaks out if US Sailing says something can't be done but can't point to a governing document, the same is true in reverse. We can't demand a one-design event if the deed doesn't require it.

There may be other ways to get there, but first we have to prove that the majority of cat sailors want that, and again, that is why we have the survey. Contrary to the egos here, it is entirely possible that there are a lot of cat sailors in the US that don't post here, and don't feel the same way you do.

I will support the results of the survey. I've said it before, that could mean: No change, complete rework, or something in between. Of course I have an idea of what I would like (and it would probably shock most of you who are desperately trying to pin me down), but it is not my job to push my own personal agenda.

Mike

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: John Williams] #244199
02/17/12 12:40 AM
02/17/12 12:40 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by John Williams
I told Dave that I thought he was wasting his time. He may have interpreted that to mean, "cool it."

Damnit John! I was going to tell them someone called my mom. Oh BTW, you need to stop calling my mom, that's just wrong.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: David Ingram] #244200
02/17/12 12:50 AM
02/17/12 12:50 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Damnit John! I was going to tell them someone called my mom. Oh BTW, you need to stop calling my mom, dude that's just wrong.

She's a sweet lady, and she just misses you so much.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244201
02/17/12 01:10 AM
02/17/12 01:10 AM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
I hope we get a 2012 event. I hope the event continues in years to come. I filled out the survey, Shared the survey, and did my part.

I missed the qualifier last year due to the F-18 NAC's but already have the qualifier on my schedule this year.

If they change the event format I will still do the qualifier. I sail because I like to sail, and race because I like the competition and the people I race with.

Can we look at the betterment of the sport and drop our personal agendas?

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: John Williams] #244202
02/17/12 01:31 AM
02/17/12 01:31 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
ou state flatly that the core mission was to benefit US Sailing

MEMBERS!!! .... Its a MEMBERS BENEFIT...that they don't appreciate or want it. ..

We have had these debates 5 years ago.... the members did not want the benefit then...

I decline the Area Rep job because I don't have ANY support for delivering this member benefit. Mark S moved on... I had no choice. I did my best to run all flavors of this Area championship..... the dog won't eat it. I have a place holder event in place for this year which requires a minimal commitment on the YC part.

You make the case for the ultimate in one design regattas, an absolutely level playing field for the US Sailing championships... My area is hyper one design with A cats, Hobie 16, 17 and 18's having very active one design racing.... THEY DON'T WANT IT ... they don't buy the Ultimate one design championship regatta with level playing field as important. You needed another angle.... or better disciples who would have spread the message about the championship.

No matter how successful the championship regatta was for all those who put it on and competed.... the fact is...the membership support was declining. It's not personal or a reflection on the people who run the championship... it's just a reality.

You think the the event succeed.. The water part is only half the game and the event has been loosing support for years. I draw a different conclusion as to it's success.

So, maybe a change in format will get more support... I told you privately at least 5 years ago... without the one design classes getting fully behind the USSA championships that they would struggle getting rank and file support. The same story pertains now.. without the one design classes supporting a new model for the championship... they will crater again.

You don't have the agenda of supporting the current format and think it was successful ???

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244210
02/17/12 07:58 AM
02/17/12 07:58 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
yes, I withdrew my post. It wasn't very level headed...but the thought that you can never have a true championship because of who might or might not show up is ridiculous and it does a dis-service to anyone that has won a championship or anyone that strives to.

This event was designed to be the pinnacle of multihull sailing within the US. You win, and you get your name engraved on a perpetual trophy that has a long list of great champions engraved on that trophy. It does not take away from the achievement if Charlie Ogletree, Pete Melvin, or anybody else doesn't attend. You have won the event. You have beat all comers. Your name goes on that trophy along with the best of the best sailing multihulls in the US. Not all "championships" are equal or the same over time. Certainly winning a 2 boat Nacra 5.2 championship doesn't carry the same weight as winning a 50 boat F18 championship....but it doesn't change the fact that it is a "championship".

With regards to how this event is run, it's been tricky but we have had some very good and hotly contested events. The boats have been great. I want to keep having shots to compete myself. I'm not opposed to trying different things - but I do believe that this regatta needs to remain unique and special for it to be what it was intended to be. There also seems to be some conversation here about making the event more accessible to the casual sailor to make it more successful or more relevant. I think it's important to understand that it really has been quite accessible. We've run out of petitions for the event at times int he past and have had to resort to calling in "invites". Petitions have always come first. This does say something about the event - and it also says something about US sailing/multihull relationship.

I would rather hear from the competitive sailors in the areas that have very poor qualifier attendance as to why they don't care to make it to the "big show"?

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244211
02/17/12 08:07 AM
02/17/12 08:07 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Define competitive. It should be a very short list.

http://championships.ussailing.org/...istories/U_S__Multihull_Championship.htm

A quick search did not reveal a list of past champions. Does anyone have a link?

Last edited by pgp; 02/17/12 08:12 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244212
02/17/12 08:11 AM
02/17/12 08:11 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

MEMBERS!!! .... Its a MEMBERS BENEFIT...that they don't appreciate or want it. ..

We have had these debates 5 years ago.... the members did not want the benefit then...

What is the benefit to 98% of the members other than to spectate? I resent being a puppet and encouraged to compete in a qualifier that is handicapped with a broken system. Even then, the system will grant petitions to those that did not win or even participate in a qualifier but are some of the best sailors racing catamarans and most likely squeeze out most of the recreational racers that do qualify from even getting near the podium.

Let it be elite and not be ashamed of it. Just don't try to coerce the 98% of us to participate in a dog and pony show of qualifiers and chastise us for not buying into it. Let it be class champions and petitions. Let it be an opportunity for manufacturers to promote their boat. What a great opportunity to get national exposure (especially for new models) and into the fleets through discounted Alter Cup boat sales.

I have followed the Alter Cup since only 2007 and have complete admiration for the volunteers, clubs, and manufacturers that have participated. A lot of uncompensated blood, sweat, and tears. If there is something wrong, we should listen to them because it is amazing how little is shared.

BTW, someone needs to interview Liz! What is she forming her opinion on? It could give us a perspective that we need to be aware of.

Last edited by Kris Hathaway; 02/17/12 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Kris Hathaway
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244214
02/17/12 08:28 AM
02/17/12 08:28 AM
GISCO Offline
journeyman
GISCO  Offline
journeyman

Back in the dark ages when the multihull council was first formed at USYRU I started the multihull championshp with a two fold purpose in mind. First it was to give the sailors a connection to the governing body of sailing in the US (USYRU). The other was to show USYRU that multihulls were no different than the rest of the sailing community by patterning the event after the existing championships (10 teams/10 boats). The 10 teams from the ten areas gave sailors from regions where multihulls were not prevelent a chance to compete at the national level. It was not meant to the best sailor in the country, but the best sailor of the ten regions.

Since that time the event has gone far afield from the original concept with the expansion to 20 teams invitations and petitions. It's time to take a good hard look to see how to make it an event to strive for again. If not it's had a good long run.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244216
02/17/12 08:32 AM
02/17/12 08:32 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm listening Gordon. You've been there and done it all.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Jake] #244218
02/17/12 09:00 AM
02/17/12 09:00 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Jake
I would rather hear from the competitive sailors in the areas that have very poor qualifier attendance as to why they don't care to make it to the "big show"?

OK, I'll bite on this one.

I've competed in at least a couple of qualifiers in Area E. I won't go out of my way to do it again as long as the qualifiers are raced handicap, since certain boats prevalent in this area have gift ratings (Inter 17/NACRA F17). With a wide range of DPNs, it's more often the boat/conditions that determine the winner, not the skill of the sailor. I'm not going to waste my precious regatta time tilting at windmills in a Hobie 16. My perception is that the whole event is skewed towards spinnaker boats, which may be the hot thing now, but do not represent the vast majority of catamaran racers in this country (and I've got the data to prove that).

While recently the finals may be considered a "success" (although having to resort to "invitees" to fill the available spots speaks otherwise), the regional qualifiers have been less than successful with few exceptions (most notably in the south east - coincidentally the core participants on this site).

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244219
02/17/12 09:05 AM
02/17/12 09:05 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do you see anything inherently unsound about holding the Alter Cup Championship on H16s that are either owned by the individual sailors or chartered specifically for the event?

Do you see anything inherently unsound about permitting sailors to tune their boats to their own liking?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: mbounds] #244220
02/17/12 09:07 AM
02/17/12 09:07 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mbounds

OK, I'll bite on this one.

I've competed in at least a couple of qualifiers in Area E. I won't go out of my way to do it again as long as the qualifiers are raced handicap, since certain boats prevalent in this area have gift ratings (Inter 17/NACRA F17). With a wide range of DPNs, it's more often the boat/conditions that determine the winner, not the skill of the sailor. I'm not going to waste my precious regatta time tilting at windmills in a Hobie 16. My perception is that the whole event is skewed towards spinnaker boats, which may be the hot thing now, but do not represent the vast majority of catamaran racers in this country (and I've got the data to prove that).

While recently the finals may be considered a "success" (although having to resort to "invitees" to fill the available spots speaks otherwise), the regional qualifiers have been less than successful with few exceptions (most notably in the south east - coincidentally the core participants on this site).

Matt, that's food for thought. Coupled with Gordy's response, perhaps I have it wrong and this event should just serve as a conduit between US Sailing and multihull sailors.

The spin boat bend really has less to do with any bias in the sailors but more to do with what boats manufacturers are willing to provide. In nearly all cases, manufacturers have provided newly marketed platforms ... and we're not seeing many of those that are not spin boats.

I'm also not completely sure I agree with the spin boat bias in the handicap system though I do agree that all rating systems struggle to account for varying conditions. I have been competitive against a spin boat fleet with my a-cat, though I know it's no Hobie 16.

Regardless, you can still petition to enter the event (attending your qualifier should carry some weight on the petition...but still, if they are running out, it's a shoe-in) - why has that avenue not been attractive?

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Jake] #244222
02/17/12 09:45 AM
02/17/12 09:45 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Regardless, you can still petition to enter the event (attending your qualifier should carry some weight on the petition...but still, if they are running out, it's a shoe-in) - why has that avenue not been attractive?

Spinnaker boats put a high emphasis on the crew. I sold my F18 mainly because I couldn't sail competitively with my usual crew (wife or daughter, and all my other friends had their own boats and their own crew issues). I guess it boiled down to I didn't want to take the time to recruit a crew, train with them (on a platform I didn't have access to), and then take the time off to actually attend the event - when I'm already taking off up to 4 - 5 weeks to attend other events either as a competitor or race officer.

If the championship was in singlehanded boats, I'd be all over it.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244224
02/17/12 10:47 AM
02/17/12 10:47 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
As a past competitor I like the current format. I'm not a fan of US Sailing and their non support of our championship. Seems to me that US Sailing would help us and support our championship in anyway possible. Not just ask us to pay US Sailing for the priviledge to run their championship.

The championship has become better every year that I've been there. I particularly liked the fact that we had younger sailors from a few areas at the last championship that could sail in the top of the fleet. It was great to see these younger teams kicking my butt.

I can go to a Portsmouth race any weekend I want. Why would I want to travel across the country to attend one. The Altercup gets the best teams because they can fly in and not have to haul their boat across the country. Having it in the Spring keeps it from competing with Nationals.

They should never own boats to have it on. The boats change every year and continue to improve. When I started competing I thought the boats had peaked 20 years ago on my Prindle 19. They have come a long way since then. The new curved foils are obviously the new thing that will certainly be finding it's way into our boats in the near future.

Good luck and get out there and find a manufacturer that will help provide boats. I have bought Altercup boats before to help support the cause after the event. I don't recall any event where the dealer got stuck with boats he couldn't sell.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mike Hill] #244225
02/17/12 10:52 AM
02/17/12 10:52 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Mike brings us back to the format discussion with some valid points. Should it be different than your local flavor of regatta? Having a BYOB event does restrict you to a regional type event too. I certainly would have never competed in Long Beach in '05 if I had to bring my own boat.

Jake Kohl
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mike Hill] #244226
02/17/12 10:54 AM
02/17/12 10:54 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Okay, you want to know who the baddest multihull sailor is? You're going to have to prove your mettle on multiple platforms in multiple locations.

So, three 5 day SMOD regattas in one year. Florida on supplied F16 at T-winds, maybe Michigan in June on F18, and California in the fall on F20

Maybe a fourth regatta on H16 since everyone seems to hold that as the pinnacle of non-spin cats?

Whoever gets the best score on all regattas is champ. Make it a two year run-up cycle so there's time to secure the manufacturer participation and competitor elimination series

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 02/17/12 10:55 AM.

Jay

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 652 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022