Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244409
02/21/12 11:28 AM
02/21/12 11:28 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I have no doubt that is true..
But Consider... how much it would cost in travel, per diem and hotel to pay the travel of a staffer to even attend and work the event! So... can't live with em... can't live without em.

I do not want to be in the position of defending USSA policy on these events, personnel, negotiating skills,competence etc .. I know there are problems and limitations...

When everybody thinks they are getting screwed over ... the solution is clarity in expectations, finances and philosophy.

This is the opportunity to sort that out.... or the volunteers won't be there to run ANY event.

You are exactly right Mark, this particular staffer that we are talking about is not a valued asset but a liability so paying to have that resource there is counterproductive. Again, someone that could be easily replaced by volunteers and the championship would be better off for it, IMO. I'd also like to point out that Mr. Rejda got himself to Houston and LA on his own dime and "worked" the week. This is a volunteer who had to take time from is day job and again "paid" to be there!!!! The contrast between these two inviduals is crazy obvious, for one it's just a job, for the other it's a passion! Which one do you think served the championship better?

Now your point regarding clarity of expectations. US Sailing made it crystal clear what the expectations were. The problem was it was a complete screw job! So I/we had go begging to US Sailing to please please work with us so we could make sure that we not only gave the sponsors fulfillment but the host and provider didn't get completely boned in the process. This is where I leaned heavily on the previous chairs to develop the best approach to resolve the situation. I guess US Sailing got tired of having to negotiate.

Now if you do exactly what US Sailing wants and take exactly what's given and you’re grateful for it then things will be just peachy keen. Anything that goes outside those lines and you just might earn yourself a "Thank you for your service" letter.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244410
02/21/12 11:39 AM
02/21/12 11:39 AM
Rockledge Cay, FL
Fearless_Rider Offline
journeyman
Fearless_Rider  Offline
journeyman

Rockledge Cay, FL
We are US Sailing.
Lower your sails and surrender your vessels.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us.
You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fearless_Rider; 02/21/12 12:36 PM.
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244411
02/21/12 11:52 AM
02/21/12 11:52 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is that a pledge to challenge USS?

It turns out USS has quite a bit more money than I thought.

Last edited by pgp; 02/21/12 12:02 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244414
02/21/12 12:28 PM
02/21/12 12:28 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

The survey is now closed, with over 200 responses. Thanks to all for your time in helping us move forward with this.

We will compile the reults, and generate a long-term plan. I won't be logging much time here during that time.

I will say this: For those of you who just can't let go of the past, ponder this. When was the last time (outside of voting for an officer or class rule) you were ever officially asked for your opinion? You might want to have given us the benefit of doubt before bashing us (or the survey itself) before the survey was even closed.

Mike

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: David Ingram] #244419
02/21/12 12:39 PM
02/21/12 12:39 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Dave, I am sure those issues will re emerge when someone tries to put the championship back on line... It has worked out in the past.... all be it with a great deal of pain on both sides... I presume that it can work in the future..
I have no idea of the details... but i fully support the volunteers walking if the parties can't make it work. Said so at the MHC meeting if you remember.

Matt points out how few people participate in the debate... perhaps they think we are doing a fine job.. More likely they don't give a damn what happens... one way or the other. I think you design a championship that appeals to the elite sailors (max competition) and is open to the rank and file who BYOB.

What event would be unique (I agree with Merrick's point) and competitive enough to get the top sailors in the major One design fleets to spend time and money and compete?

I see it it as an open championship in something like double handed spinaker with charter boats available to the opposite coast sailors and NCAA champs and appropriate class champions.

Open to the USSA membership with a class legal boat or one with a measurement certificate. (Open handles the opportunity legal issues while regatta pricing takes into account the charter boat subsidies needed to make it work.

Everybody has their own boat... (this allows you to run a three day event with 10 races and not mess with equipment redress issues. (Much easier on a host club to run this kind of regatta.

Double handed spin (or sloop or single handed in alternate years) so that a measurement based handicap system can do a fair job rating similar boats.

If the new Mixed Multihull Class made this one of the domestic schedules big events.. And the One design classes promised to work to get their top sailors to the event (subsidize entry fee, provide a boat, ete etc ) I can see enough star power committed to the regatta to attract a lot of sailors willing to pay a premium to see how they measure up (laugh) (or get smoked).

Remember, Mixed multihull will probably have no more teams then the last few Tornado cycles had.... 3 to 5. Putting on a decent regatta will be problematic... Participating in a large open championship would be a good large fleet NA regatta for these sailors.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: Mark Schneider] #244423
02/21/12 01:01 PM
02/21/12 01:01 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Dave, I am sure those issues will re emerge when someone tries to put the championship back on line... It has worked out in the past.... all be it with a great deal of pain on both sides... I presume that it can work in the future..
I have no idea of the details... but i fully support the volunteers walking if the parties can't make it work. Said so at the MHC meeting if you remember.

Matt points out how few people participate in the debate... perhaps they think we are doing a fine job.. More likely they don't give a damn what happens... one way or the other. I think you design a championship that appeals to the elite sailors (max competition) and is open to the rank and file who BYOB.

What event would be unique (I agree with Merrick's point) and competitive enough to get the top sailors in the major One design fleets to spend time and money and compete?

I see it it as an open championship in something like double handed spinaker with charter boats available to the opposite coast sailors and NCAA champs and appropriate class champions.

Open to the USSA membership with a class legal boat or one with a measurement certificate. (Open handles the opportunity legal issues while regatta pricing takes into account the charter boat subsidies needed to make it work.

Everybody has their own boat... (this allows you to run a three day event with 10 races and not mess with equipment redress issues. (Much easier on a host club to run this kind of regatta.

Double handed spin (or sloop or single handed in alternate years) so that a measurement based handicap system can do a fair job rating similar boats.

If the new Mixed Multihull Class made this one of the domestic schedules big events.. And the One design classes promised to work to get their top sailors to the event (subsidize entry fee, provide a boat, ete etc ) I can see enough star power committed to the regatta to attract a lot of sailors willing to pay a premium to see how they measure up (laugh) (or get smoked).

Remember, Mixed multihull will probably have no more teams then the last few Tornado cycles had.... 3 to 5. Putting on a decent regatta will be problematic... Participating in a large open championship would be a good large fleet NA regatta for these sailors.

And what would we need US Sailing for? They won't crack the tough nuts, they won't kick in any real $$, they will however happily take the $50 per person surcharge. So again what will US Sailing do for us? Nothing in Bob's proposal is a deal breaker if US Sailing is not involved. If US Sailing MUST be a player then I want to know what will we get for our $50 per person surcharge? The answer of paid staffers to keep train on the tracks is a red herring.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244425
02/21/12 01:11 PM
02/21/12 01:11 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any organization will divide and conquer. Unless you're willing to join with others, you'll get nowhere.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: US Sailing MHC: Alter Cup Survey Open Feb 15-20, 2012 [Re: brucat] #244431
02/21/12 01:52 PM
02/21/12 01:52 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
I just looked at the rest of the Championship series(US sailing website). Every single regatta is ONE DESIGN. Why would we make ours any different?
I also believe every regatta is my invite or qualification. Why would we make ours different?

Personally I feel that the last thing you want at a championship regatta is your average Joe on the course possibly screwing up someones else's race(one who deserves/worked thier a$$ off to be there).

Would I be interested in participating. No. Smart enough to know I don't belong there. Am I interested in the race. You bet. It is the best against the best on equal footing. Not something we get any where else. And that is the way it should be.

Am I a member of US Sailing? No. Used to be but then it got to where there were no benifits to me at all.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022