09/28/03 01:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello everyone,

I have been following the recent threads on singlehanded designs, unprotected waters designs and the ultimate beachcat design with great interest.

I live in the SF bay area so have my fair share of heavy weather. I have seen the various positive posts regarding the SC 20 and its sailing capabilities.

So, my questions are orriented more towards the softer side of sailing. As I have mentioned before on this board, I have not yet convinced my wife that the SF Bay area water is warm.

So, I have been looking at the small farrier trimarans and have been crewing on other people's multihulls. However, I have realized that F boats are really too expensive for my tastes right now.

So, I am back to thinking about multihulls in the $5k range. I have found a place that will let me keep a SC 20 expanded and launch with a crane or a ramp.

I was wondering, how dry is it in compairison to other beach cats (most of our sailing has been on a Prindle 18-2)? It looks like the hulls have more volume than your average cat and that the tramp sits further out of the water, and it sounds like it would be pretty easy to keep one hull flying stabley in a good breeze. So, in moderate conditions (10-15 knots), could I keep my wife pretty dry if I was careful? And reserve sailing in the big winds for when I can find a buddy who is willing to get wet, or once I have figured out how to sail it singlehanded in those conditions?

Also, in terms of carying the various amenities that one might want to if one is out cruising for a day, what kind of access to the hulls does one have? Or would everything need to be kept on the tramp?

Thanks for your thoughts. I have started talking to the guy who is selling the SC 20 on the classified pages here.

Drew

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24636
09/28/03 03:24 PM
09/28/03 03:24 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
hello Drew-

I have sailed an SC20 in SFbay [1981] and nearly froze to death. A wet suit should be strongly considered. As far as being wet the answer is YES. Its a firehose for the crew if they are sitting on the hull. The wave piercing oval design allows the heavy air spray to come right down the middle of the hull. If you both are on the traps then its cool to see the water going by your feet. The furling jib allows you to do away with alot of the spray but not all. The boat sails great in the heavy air of SFBay with main alone with two people and with one its very light to handle. The shroud extenders work great in SFBay I can attest to that... The tall hulls work very well in the chop as well. Both my 1980 FMS/SC20's are/were great boats. I am in the process of restoring my 1980 FMS 20 #57 presently and will be singlehanding it by next spring.

fair winds,

thommerrill
F25c 009 - the other Farrier kit boat
ARC22 2234
FMS 20 57 [FMS was the SC20 name before Supercat]

Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24637
09/30/03 04:39 PM
09/30/03 04:39 PM
O
OBX Offline
stranger
OBX  Offline
stranger
O

Drew,
I agree with the other post. If you wife isn't willing to throw on some neopreme, don't bother with the SC20. I've windsurfed and sailed the bay enough to know that conditions can change rather quickly. I think there are some dryer boats that offer comparable performance. The SC20 is a blast, but you better not mind getting wet.
Good luck.

Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24638
09/30/03 05:48 PM
09/30/03 05:48 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Drew,

I've never sailed an SC20, but I sure have sailed the Bay. ANY beach cat is going to require a wet/dry suit in the Bay. But what's so bad about that? I think you're going to need to get into the Stilleto-size cats before the ride will be dry (drier, anyway). Of course, the invite is still there for you to come down here for some WARM lake sailing.

Rgds,

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: SC 20 [Re: ejpoulsen] #24639
09/30/03 09:16 PM
09/30/03 09:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Eric, Thom and OBX,

Thanks for the thoughts! I know that a wetsuit/drysuit is going to be needed, unfortunately, I am also learning that even with either of those, I am facing a general aversion to getting firehosed with cold water.

I was sort of hoping that I could find something with bigger hull volume that could have two personalities, pretty dry when not pushed, fast, fun and wet when pushed.

Well I guess that the search will continue. I will probably get up and try out the SuperCat in any event. I have also found a potential lead on a Reynolds 21. From what I have learned it probably does not sail as well, but might fit my critera a bit better.

And Eric, thanks again for the offer for some warm sailing. I will have to take you up on it. I am just still looking for something to have here in the bay.

Thanks and fair winds,

Drew

Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24640
10/01/03 07:16 AM
10/01/03 07:16 AM
Niagara Falls NY
mikemac Offline
mikemac  Offline

Niagara Falls NY
Have you thought about a boat with wings? They are drier, even if you have to go leeward in light air.

SC 20; Dry Ride? [Re: ] #24641
10/01/03 12:06 PM
10/01/03 12:06 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

US Western Continental Shelf
I have found that no matter what kind of boat you go sailing on, if it is REAL fast then you will get hosed. This applies to all boats, catamarans and "leaners" as well.

I can't imagine the conditions in the SF Bay to be less than very windy; I have not sailed there. I would expect that any fast boat, and that means any catamaran in that wind, is going to be a very wet ride. I suggest a dry suit and skiing goggles, along with a pair of foam earplugs for her. (no kidding)

I have never seen a drier ride than my Mystere 6.0. They are available in a 10' wide version that may be more stable, for your high wind. They are also available with wings and I expect those are very dry too.

My Mystere 6.0 is drier than a Viva 27. Once we sailed the 31 nautical miles from Marina Del Rey, CA to Catalina Island and never even got our feet wet until we were within 5 minutes of arriving at the island! I usually sail in 5-18 knots of wind. Anything above 15 and I am starting to get pretty wet.

I think the suggestion for wings is the best one that has been brought up so far!

Performance cats sells them for many of their boats, including the Inter line. Hobie has them for many of theirs. Mystere has them. Who else, anyone??

One nice thing about wings is that you can be in a seated position without having to hang on a wire. This places you well above the water; your face and most of the rest of your body sits a foot or two higher than if you sat on the hull.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24642
10/01/03 03:12 PM
10/01/03 03:12 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
Hey Drew-

I recall a mistake I made with a former female sailing friend/fiance about cat sailing...I assumed she liked/loved the sport and wasn't tolerating it for my sake. I'm positive??? this isn't the case for you. Either way before you buy something you might ask...

As far as wings for an SC20; you better consult Tom Haberman about how to do it properly. I almost bought a SC20 with wings but went to the ARC22 instead. The beams showed some wear around the installation holes. If you decide to go with wings; the 12'ft beam of the SC20 would end up around 15-16' approx. This will increase the righting moment issue and may possibly require reinforcement in some areas. Haberman can help you with that as well. Roberts put wings on his RC30.

fair winds,

thom

Re: SC 20; Dry Ride? [Re: hobiegary] #24643
10/01/03 04:16 PM
10/01/03 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gary,

Actually, the wind the the Bay varies quite a lot, just usually in a predicatable way. There is always light wind in the morning, heavy in the afternoon in the "slot" (ie downwind of the Golden Gate Bridge). However, over in Sausalito or behind Angel Island, there a big wind shadows and things are quite calm almost the entire day. So there are areas of lightish wind and flat water to be sailed in.

I am realistic that over about 15 knots you will get wet, it is just how dry the ride is if you are in moderate breezes.

In response to Thom's question about whether my wife loves sailing, well, I would say that she likes it if:
1. It is comfortable
2. It is not scary
3. She is not asked to do a lot of things that she does not know how to do.
4. We go quickly.

Having said that, she is willing to learn, and the fast is fun part of the equation is great! I know that I can handle #'s 2 and 3, so the big question is how to handle #1. But all in all, I need something that I can singlehand aas I will want to go out more often than she will.

Mike, thanks for the thought on wings. That had slipped my mind for some reason.

Thom, do you know how I could contact Tom Haberman?

Thanks again guys.

Fair winds,

Drew

Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24644
10/01/03 04:25 PM
10/01/03 04:25 PM
D
Disc20 Offline
stranger
Disc20  Offline
stranger
D

Look into a Tremolino tri. www.geocities.com/tremsetters
I sailed on one in big wind and in chop and was amazed at how comfortable it was at 17 knots of boat speed. You should be able to find one near your budget. Also, I have a wife who tolerates my Discovery 20 tri until it gets wet and cold.

Re: SC 20 [Re: OBX] #24645
10/14/03 03:51 PM
10/14/03 03:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello,

I had posted a while ago about the SC20 and the bay area. You had indicated that you knew of some other cats that have similar performance, but are not as wet.

Could you let me know what ones you would suggest I look at?

Thanks for your help.

Fair winds,

Drew

Re: SC 20 [Re: ] #24646
10/14/03 04:18 PM
10/14/03 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OOPs, Sorry everyone, that was supposed to be a private post.

Drew

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 659 guests, and 155 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022