03/29/12 01:02 PM
03/29/12 01:02 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Rolex sponsors the championships, but it also sponsors other individual events, which is probably where you're seeing the watches as prizes.

No watches for Alter Cup or Hinman. Not sure about the other championships.

Rolex is the title sponsor of the championships. We are allowed to have additional sponsors.

There are only a handful of companies that are involved, so while calling it a "limitation" is technically correct, calling it a show-stopper is really a stretch.

There are thousands if not millions of other business categories to go after other than watches, sunglasses and marine apparel providers.

If those restrictions stop you from going after other sponsors, you're not really bringing any value to the team.

Think about this in business terms (pretend you are a salesman for a beer distributor): You would be immediately fired from any normal company if you came back to the office and said "I didn't sell anything today because the only companies that I can think to approach are retailers of baby items. It's just unfair that we can't sell to anyone under age."

BTW, I must have missed something. When did Liz come into the conversation?

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246476
03/29/12 01:32 PM
03/29/12 01:32 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Is there a list of what type of sponsers are taken and what are still available for the Alter Cup? If so where can we find it.

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246477
03/29/12 01:41 PM
03/29/12 01:41 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

So we have a volunteer to chase sponsors? Great!!!

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246479
03/29/12 01:50 PM
03/29/12 01:50 PM
Boston, Ma
J
Jeff.Dusek Offline
addict
Jeff.Dusek  Offline
addict
J

Boston, Ma
Couple comments:

Assuming the event moves back to provided, rotated boats at some point, I don't think having the rig tune set is a big problem. One option could be to have, say, three settings dependent on breeze, and the whole fleet is changed together. I believe that is how things are done at the Hinman, and I would argue it is one of the most successful of the US Sailing Championships.

As far as combining a bunch of classes NAs together, that has very little appeal to me. I make a decision to go to an event based on the sailing, and the social side has very little bearing on my attendance. While multi-class events are great for increasing exposure of a fleet to other members of the sailing community, a single fleet event allows for more races to be run with less waiting between races and optimal course lengths. A very skilled race committee can make multiple fleets work, but for an event like a NA championship, my preference would be to keep it a single class event.

I guess the question I have is what are the factors that convince you to go (or not go) to an event?

For me the size of fleet and amount of racing is the strong selling point. I personally don't like lay days in a regatta schedule, I would rather be racing.

Location is also a factor for me, both for sailing conditions and for launching and setup. Having just spent many hours working on the bottom of my boat, I would prefer for the bottoms never to touch sand... I know, I'm a terrible beachcat sailor!

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Jeff.Dusek] #246483
03/29/12 02:27 PM
03/29/12 02:27 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek
As far as combining a bunch of classes NAs together, that has very little appeal to me. I make a decision to go to an event based on the sailing, and the social side has very little bearing on my attendance. While multi-class events are great for increasing exposure of a fleet to other members of the sailing community, a single fleet event allows for more races to be run with less waiting between races and optimal course lengths. A very skilled race committee can make multiple fleets work, but for an event like a NA championship, my preference would be to keep it a single class event.

If we are listing pro's and con's on a multi-class event; their are a few lucky racers that compete in multiple classes. A mega event will limit their participation across classes/fleets.

Kris Hathaway
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246485
03/29/12 02:44 PM
03/29/12 02:44 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Mike,
As I read thru the thread there were several people that said they would look into new sponsors. I was just asking if there was a list so if something happened to comeup someone might take advantage of it. No biggie if it's not available but it would be much more transparant if it was.

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: orphan] #246488
03/29/12 03:18 PM
03/29/12 03:18 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I remember seeing this at some talk for clubs looking at how to tap into the sports marketing dollars.

I think that rolex owns the front of the boat (and marks).
US sailing owns the back of the boat
the Yacht club owns the middle of the boat
The sailor owns the sail.

No sunglass sponsors... Hobie gave a piece... ... Nothing that competes with Gil in the equip and shirt Business....((they give shirts to competitors)

So far... I have heard:
-get sailors to lend their boats and run the old program.
-Get a big sponsor and work in the existing system.
-Get a big sponsor and toss the system creating a new championship.
-Borrow boats and get a manufacturer to provide new sails for the regatta and then resell them... for the marketing value of stickers on the sail.
-Charter the boats using the budgeted money. Let the sails pay for them selves when they are sold. Let the Manufacturer recover costs. Net out of pocket to the regatta is 0 for sails. Less dollars for the manufacture/sailmaker sponser so it might be more acceptable than the loss on new boats.
???
FYI... the money you and your Yacht Club can play with (without having additional sponsors) is 2K from the HJ fund.

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 03/29/12 03:18 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: orphan] #246491
03/29/12 03:47 PM
03/29/12 03:47 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by orphan
As I read thru the thread there were several people that said they would look into new sponsors.

I must have missed anyone directly volunteering to help with this. I did see plenty of skepticism and sarcasm, but no clear volunteers. Can you put this list of folks together, so we can submit that to the MCC, and then Bert can form a sponsorship subcommittee?

Originally Posted by orphan
I was just asking if there was a list so if something happened to comeup someone might take advantage of it. No biggie if it's not available but it would be much more transparant if it was.

This is not that hard: http://championships.ussailing.org/Sponsors.htm

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246493
03/29/12 05:09 PM
03/29/12 05:09 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I think that rolex owns the front of the boat (and marks).
US sailing owns the back of the boat
the Yacht club owns the middle of the boat
The sailor owns the sail.

No sunglass sponsors... Hobie gave a piece... ... Nothing that competes with Gil in the equip and shirt Business....((they give shirts to competitors)

Advertising is controlled by ISAF Regulation 20, the pertinent sections of which are 20.3, 20.4 and 20.7:
20.3 Competitors & Boats
20.3.1 Subject to any other provision of this Code:
20.3.1.1 each individual Competitor may, with the agreement of the Person in Charge, display Advertising on clothing and personal equipment without restriction;
20.3.1.2 Advertising chosen by the Person in Charge may be displayed on hulls, spars and sails without restriction except on the spaces reserved for identification by Appendix G of the Racing Rules and under Regulations 20.5 & 20.9.

20.4 Event Advertising
20.4.1 Subject to Regulations 20.5 and 20.6, the Organizing Authority of an event has the right to make use of the following spaces according to the following terms:
20.4.1.1 Boats
(a) the first 20% (or where the Hull Length is less than 8 metres the greater of the first 1.2m or 25%) of the forward part of each side of the hull of each participating boat for Bow Numbers and the Advertising chosen and required to be displayed by the Organizing Authority of that event; and
(b) subject to Regulation 20.9.(b).(i), the foremost 20% of the mainsail boom; and
(c) if the boat has a backstay a sponsor’s burgee or flag measuring a maximum of 500mm by 750 mm (“Sponsors Flag”) to be attached to the backstay; or any combination thereof and if any such Advertising as specified to be displayed or
carried (as appropriate) as above mentioned, it shall be so stated in the notice of race, which may also require that a Sponsors Flag be carried throughout that event, including when a boat is in harbour or ashore.

A Competitor may choose not to display any Advertising which is for alcohol or tobacco, or which he or she genuinely objects to for substantive moral, political or religious reasons.

20.7 Conflicts between Competitor and Event Advertising
20.7.1 The Organizing Authority of an event may not reject or cancel the entry of a boat or exclude a Competitor because that boat’s or Competitor’s Advertising is or may be in conflict with the Advertising or sponsor of that event.

Only when boats are provided does the OA "own the whole boat".

Also - be clear - Hobie Polarized (the sunglass people) contributed $, not Hobie Cat Co. They are two, very different companies that just happen to license the same trademark.

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: brucat] #246494
03/29/12 05:18 PM
03/29/12 05:18 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by brucat

Well, if you already have a whiskey sponsor, I see no problem with getting Hooters (on the spin) and Preparation H (on the rear/transom). Get Jägermeister involved, then you can have the Jäger girls and the Hooter girls with water guns on the beach distracting the 10 teams that are not on the water . . .
Just a thought.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246496
03/29/12 06:55 PM
03/29/12 06:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Looks like we know who found the Jager...

I like where you're going with this, but I think the Coppertone girls would be a more logical choice (keeping the beach theme).

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246497
03/29/12 07:01 PM
03/29/12 07:01 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

For the BYOB editions, advertising would most likely be handled per RRS K 2.2:

Boats shall be required to display advertising chosen and supplied by the organizing authority.

While not set in stone yet, I would imagine this being limited to the front 25% of the hulls.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 03/29/12 07:06 PM.
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: brucat] #246498
03/29/12 07:24 PM
03/29/12 07:24 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by brucat
For the BYOB editions, advertising would most likely be handled per RRS K 2.2:

Boats shall be required to display advertising chosen and supplied by the organizing authority.

While not set in stone yet, I would imagine this being limited to the front 25% of the hulls.

Mike

Appendix K (NOR Guide) is advisory, and is not considered part of the rules until they become an actual NOR. K.2.2 also has references to ISAF Reg 20 in the margin.

Advertising is controlled by ISAF Regulation 20 (RRS 80) and is part of the rules (definition of Rules, subsection b).

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246500
03/29/12 07:52 PM
03/29/12 07:52 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
Would corporate sponsors prefer the Alter Cup follow the CORK model?
Canadian Olympic Regatta Kingston (CORK) has been a successful multi-class regatta since 1969?
I wonder how sponsorship has changed, grown, or morphed, over 43 years?
http://www.cork.org/about-cork/history/
CORK Sponsorship Opportunities
http://www.cork.org/about-cork/interested-in-sponsoring-us/

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246501
03/29/12 07:58 PM
03/29/12 07:58 PM
Rock Hill,SC
KevinRejda Offline
KevinRejda  Offline

Rock Hill,SC
Here's what US Sailing told me about sponsorship yesterday. The proposed sponsor has no conflict with Rolex, Hobie Polarized, or Gill.

". . .they could receive visibility on your yacht club’s website, and signage at the venue during the event. We would not be able to add them to the US Sailing website, on official event clothing, or on the boats’ hulls and sails. US Sailing reserves the right for hull and sail placement for the National sponsors of this event. . ."

Brian Welsh
Marketing Manager
US Sailing
BrianWelsh@ussailing.org
Phone: 401-683-0800 x692

Kevin Rejda
Rock Hill, SC

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246503
03/29/12 08:23 PM
03/29/12 08:23 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Kevin,

As promised, I followed up with Jack today, this is not exactly accurate. More to follow, but advertising on the boats is still in play.

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246504
03/29/12 08:24 PM
03/29/12 08:24 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Matt,

Since we are writing the NOR, I'm telling you that's what it will probably look like, and it meets ISAF Reg 20.

What am I missing?

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: brucat] #246507
03/29/12 08:33 PM
03/29/12 08:33 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
You're quoting Appendix K as if it were the controlling rule, when in fact, it is not. ISAF Reg 20 is.

Regulation 20 actually explains what's allowable, whereas what you quoted does not.

Last edited by mbounds; 03/29/12 08:46 PM.
Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: Mark Schneider] #246513
03/29/12 09:50 PM
03/29/12 09:50 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

OK, you're not really getting the point of my post.

The NOR will be written with the language given in RRS, and we will obviously follow Reg 20. More than likely, we would further limit the area we choose to use to what is available in Reg 20 for the hulls.

The NOR, when written, is a rule.

Again, this is just to give people an idea of what they can expect, not to write the rule today.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: US Sailing Championship Committee [Re: KevinRejda] #246515
03/29/12 10:17 PM
03/29/12 10:17 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by KevinRejda
Here's what US Sailing told me about sponsorship yesterday. The proposed sponsor has no conflict with Rolex, Hobie Polarized, or Gill.

". . .they could receive visibility on your yacht club’s website, and signage at the venue during the event. We would not be able to add them to the US Sailing website, on official event clothing, or on the boats’ hulls and sails. US Sailing reserves the right for hull and sail placement for the National sponsors of this event. . ."

Brian Welsh
Marketing Manager
US Sailing
BrianWelsh@ussailing.org
Phone: 401-683-0800 x692

And... boom goes the dynamite. Sponsors the club picks up would not be reflected in 95% of the imagery generated from the event. I really hate to be negative...it's not my usual MO. I've just been down this road and stuck in the middle between clubs and sponsors that want to help the event but can't justify the investment for the lack of return. If the event received a significant influx of funds from the sponsorship that is absorbing all the white space, it wouldn't make this a touchy subject.

Jake Kohl
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022