05/10/12 02:13 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Holy crap.... I thought we were talking Portsmouth and "cheaters" ...

now that we are talking about the Rudder club handicap system... which contains a WAG factor.

Give me a break.... anybody claiming XX is cheating best apologize.

Still...if you have a Cat, you are supposed to declare a PN based on the USSailing list with the appropriate modifiers.

If you don't declare in good faith then shame on you.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mugrace72] #248103
05/10/12 02:35 PM
05/10/12 02:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
yes... but Dave Carlson properly declared his spin catnip....

The RC30 is a unique one of a kind boat. It is impossible to rate an RC 30 using Portsmouth.... It is a rating for Bill Roberts who owns it. .. If he sailed the boat as well as he did the last time... he would have sailed the boat to it's rating and would likely win. It is the nature of Portsmouth and one off boats.

A solid rating would be founded on a buoys race with a couple of RC30's racing against a couple of Yardstick boats. oh... times 100 such events. x each of 4 wind ranges.....

That John Casey wants to argue that Bill Roberts or Dave Carlson are cheating in the Rudder club handicap system is beyond bogus.

The fact that the club wants to use this out of date rating system to generate the Rudder club rating system ....is insane.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248106
05/10/12 02:43 PM
05/10/12 02:43 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

You also said the "serious" frankenboat sailor would make sure their cert was up to date and accurate, which doesn't really apply here either. The teams in question in this thread are being accused of cheating (not claiming the mods that apply to their rig) and a measurement system aint going to fix that.

Carlson ran a Catnip rating with carbon rudders, daggers, A-cat carbon mast and spin, only taking a hit for the spin. That's not very sportsman I think. That is a call-out to the polka-dot.

Translation.... Catnip.... Old heavy A class that Dave has modified... LEGAL
Carbon Rudders... LEGAL (not regulated in Portsmouth)
A-cat carbon mast.... A catnip is an A Cat.... Length and type of mast... not an issue for A cats... LEGAL

spin, only taking a hit for the spin LEGAL

All of that is LEGAL

Now... the problem is that the last time a catnip raced in a legit portsmouth race may be 15 years ago. Do you think the A cat rating from 15 years ago was... is "accurate".... The Portsmouth system has FAILED.

Calling Dave Carlson Unsportsmanlike or "cheating".... Ignorant at best!

By definition (in my opinion) handicap racing regardless of the system used is flawed and unfair in one way or another to someone and there is simply no way around this very glaring truth. Didn't Carnac use a measurement based system?

Flawed and unfair....

Flawed.... what do you mean?
The rating table is not accurate? the rating table is not precise enough? the rating table was generated using bogus data? the rating formula uses the wrong constants?

Unfair.... again... what do you mean?

Look.... if two IDENTICAL ONE DESIGN BOATS finish a race overlapped... guess what... the most perfect and the fairest handicap system in the world would still score the two boats as TIED.

If what you want to say is that handicap racing is not as precise as the One design racing.... TRUE.... and .... so what?

Mark,
I really get bored with your ramblings. You are always trying to stir the pot.

If someone is going to use MAJOR A-Cat parts for the boat then use the A-Cat DPN! Catnip DPN number is for an OD boat that doesn't have carbon bits. I'm not going any further with you on this because you tend to run in circles until the ground hurts beneath your feet. It's not legal. I don't want to be a forum butt that tells you to check your facts before posting, but I guess I am.

The problem is not the system so much but enforcing the system to keep it (more) fair for everyone. I don't like the negativity that comes from this discussion but hopefully out of it some form of positive enforcement of the rules could maybe possibly come from it.

IMO all catamaran DPNs are too high compared to monos, and there are a whole lot of boats that need adjustments. That is enough work in itself seeing how quite a few don't buoy race, but when sailors have been cheating (yes I said cheating) the system, it can get so out of hand that our sport really gets hurt. I don't want to see that happen.

I don't want to hear about SCHRS or whatever because I've been involved with some of their problems, and they're plenty believe me. We have a system supported by US Sailing that needs to be proactively worked on, and possibly there can be a consensus of what needs to be done with our system.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248107
05/10/12 02:47 PM
05/10/12 02:47 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Holy crap.... I thought we were talking Portsmouth and "cheaters" ...

now that we are talking about the Rudder club handicap system... which contains a WAG factor.

Give me a break.... anybody claiming XX is cheating best apologize.

The DPN and mods provided to the Rudder Club still need to be valid. The issue remains the same. If they were using another handicap system it would still go through the RCHS.

This is a pursuit race so yes there is another layer of jiggery pokery.

It's just the Mug Race, I enjoy it others don't and still others take it way to seriously. Do you really think the monohull guys could give a sh!t about who wins the Mug? Although, it was pretty cool when the Scow won it... pssst Roberts finished fourth that year.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248110
05/10/12 03:59 PM
05/10/12 03:59 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I gotta get this race back on my calendar for next year... cheaters, rule compressors, jiggery pokery, or not.

Jake Kohl
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248111
05/10/12 04:01 PM
05/10/12 04:01 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline OP
addict
jkkartz1  Offline OP
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
I started this thread to give congratulations to outstanding performances by 2 people that frequent this site. That's why in the thread I put the 1 & 1 below Dave & Dave. I stirred up more than I thought I would but the responses were entirely predictible. Now for my rant.

It is our fault.

As this is a Corinthian sport, we are held to a high standard of responsiblity. In this case, we have been negligent in taking responsibility for how are ratings determined.

I have the pleasure of sailing a Stiletto 27 that is unsailable to its rating in WL's. This rating is determined by the West Florida PHRF committee. They have a board of directors and a rating committee. They come from the various clubs and sail related business's in the area. Both of these are volunteers that give there time and expertise. They have a much more elaborate procedure for determining ratings.

Is it fair? Yes and No. It's run by those human beings that try their best.

What can we do?

Work with USSailing to develop a Multihull Portsmouth rating committee (some of you really hate that word) to review the Portsmouth system. Those whom have commented on this thread certainly have the knowledge and passion to improve the system.

Sailing has so many variables that our attempts to approximate fairness is an educated, deduced guess.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248112
05/10/12 04:32 PM
05/10/12 04:32 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

Bored.... ah... note to mark... use shorter sentences... JC won't get bored

Stir the pot... ME! I am not calling two competitors cheaters... You are the guy on his white horse saving the integrity of the sailing by trying to fix Portsmouth.

If I thought you had a clue... I would debate...

Good luck trying to save portsmouth... when you come up with a solution for the RC 30, the M20, the Nacra carbon 20, and the CFR 20.... email me....

Clearly your first order of business is to call out those cheaters and have them change their ways.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248113
05/10/12 04:40 PM
05/10/12 04:40 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I still think we (OK, Pete Melvin) could come up with a much more accurate speed prediction program for cats, that relies on the simplest measurements, such as water line length, beam, total weight, either with or without crew, (racing displacemnt) total upwind sail area and downwind sail area.

Unlike all the different Monohull hull shapes, all cat hulls are pretty much 'torpedo' like, that is, they are long and skinny, so the real 'speed' factor is;

How much does it weigh, how much sail are does it have, upwind and down, and how wide is it?

Seems to me someone must smart enough (don't make me call Wouter!) to come up with a simple speed prediction program for cats of all sizes, that could factor in those simple measurements and be much closer than the Portsmouth numbers.

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248115
05/10/12 06:06 PM
05/10/12 06:06 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Tim - you are describing SCHRS.

They take it a little farther with their model but basic concept that you are proposing.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Kris Hathaway] #248116
05/10/12 06:26 PM
05/10/12 06:26 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Kris Hathaway
Tim - you are describing SCHRS.

They take it a little farther with their model but basic concept that you are proposing.

OK, we all agree that trusting a handicap system SUCKS!

We all agree the Portsmouth is BROKEN if only for the fact that it is not updated and requires accurate report with results from mixed fleet racing. NO ONE is reporting anymore. R.I.P.

SCHRS already exists so you don't need to do any further R&D. Anyone can plug in the numbers and come up with a baseline rating. No need for certificates or measurers or that BS. We TRUST each other...Right?

Handicap racing will STILL SUCK...but at least there would be transparency in the rating.

Measure the RC30 and Catnip On Steroids and let it go.

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248117
05/10/12 06:27 PM
05/10/12 06:27 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
As anyone run the nubers,Portsmouth, vs. SCHRS, on the F16/F18's and A cats, to see how they compare? ie. does one system favor the spin boats vs another?

In the case of all the Frankenboats, with 'my plan' (not that I really have a plan) somebody would still have to measure all the the sails, for all the Frankenboats that are using 'custom' sails, ie. huge jibs and spinnakers, or putting squaretops on boats that don't normally have them. AND...they'd have to weigh all the boats too...huge PITA for a weekend party type race.

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248118
05/10/12 06:39 PM
05/10/12 06:39 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Timbo

In the case of all the Frankenboats, with 'my plan' (not that I really have a plan) somebody would still have to measure all the the sails, for all the Frankenboats that are using 'custom' sails, ie. huge jibs and spinnakers, or putting squaretops on boats that don't normally have them. AND...they'd have to weigh all the boats too...huge PITA for a weekend party type race.

To keep it very simple for something like the Mug Race, you would just use the class minimum weight. Almost all FB's are based on a class platform.

It would take someone to step forth and do the calculations and then hand that over to the Rudder Club handicapper....oh ****, never mind.

I think PH is just fine for the Mug Race! grin

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248119
05/10/12 06:47 PM
05/10/12 06:47 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I loved that spinnaker set up on your ride! Now...how about adding a trapeez.

No, WAIT...I'll loan you my mast and all 3 sails off my F16, all you need is a mast step that will keep it all together.

That should make "Waves" at the next Mug race!

Blade F16
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Timbo] #248120
05/10/12 07:02 PM
05/10/12 07:02 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Timbo
I loved that spinnaker set up on your ride! Now...how about adding a trapeez.

Actually Tim, when the wind piped up near the end (15 maybe) on a very close reach I was able to hold it down quite well without a trapeze. I passed about ten boats that I had lost ground to in the downhill slog.

THEN........the pole snapped in half about a mile to go! I was able to gather all the crap on board and made it to the finish.

I think a trap would invite a total meltdown. You can only put so much CRAP in a 13' bag.

Here is a video of the finishes...I come across at 11:45 with my busted pole dangling.

Note that the lady says "it's a Hobie Wave...OMG!"

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mark Schneider] #248121
05/10/12 07:17 PM
05/10/12 07:17 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

If I thought you had a clue... I would debate...

This is a peach. It should be memorialized forever.
Mark Schneider thinks he has more of a clue about catamaran sailing than JC does.
It took me awhile to type this because I kept passing out from laughter.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248122
05/10/12 07:30 PM
05/10/12 07:30 PM
Orange Park, FL
RobLyman Offline
journeyman
RobLyman  Offline
journeyman

Orange Park, FL
Congrats Dave & Dave. Good job. Next year I hope to be out there again giving you two and the Roberts a run for your money.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248124
05/10/12 08:55 PM
05/10/12 08:55 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Huh. Always light air.... Franken boats about.... Me thinks a C2 rig needs to find its way onto my Viper.

I'm boatless.
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248146
05/11/12 09:30 AM
05/11/12 09:30 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

How about a F20c rig on an 18HT platform with a code zero on the sprit?

I'm pretty sure I have all the parts to make it happen.

Mug Race 2013 here we come...

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248148
05/11/12 10:02 AM
05/11/12 10:02 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Screw it. If I don't have to declare mods, I'll just stick an 5 horse motor on the back and really stick it to the man!

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: mikekrantz] #248151
05/11/12 10:14 AM
05/11/12 10:14 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
y'all keep coming up with these light air machines for next year. That will guarantee me some big breeze! ;-)

Jake Kohl
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 599 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022