06/19/12 03:31 PM
06/19/12 03:31 PM
The Netherlands, Europe
flying_dutchman Offline
journeyman
flying_dutchman  Offline
journeyman

The Netherlands, Europe
Could use some help making sailing with spi alone more secure.
Standing in trapeze aft on the tramp sometimes with 1 foot on the hull I would like to have a footstrap. When the wind suddenly eases the aft foot is likely to be flushed away due to poor bouyancy.
On the other hand with risk of pitchpoling I would like to have "chicken" line as well. When sailing on F18 we use line with hook. Just attach to trapeze ring and your position is rock solid. Of course 2 man crew is more easy !
Hobie 16 of course is more tricky and less forgiving. But that is probably why we love her...
Any recommendations ? Please shoot !

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Specs on H16 spinnaker setup [Re: RickWhite] #251130
07/31/12 03:29 AM
07/31/12 03:29 AM
The Netherlands, Europe
flying_dutchman Offline
journeyman
flying_dutchman  Offline
journeyman

The Netherlands, Europe
Sailed quite a lot both single handed and with crew.

Have to admit I slightly underestimated Spi-sailing especially alone. But great fun: "match racing" to identical H16 with spi. grin

However I'm a little amazed to read Pauls comment about loads of lift. I would merely say the tendency to dive has decreased (a little). Sailing with crew we'll have a crew weight of approx 180 kgs so buyancy is critical. whistle

Light wind with a sudden windblow made rudders effectless so we flipped.

Sailing single handed its quite a mess on the tramp. Short of time and hands of course. Should be able to get better control when in trapeze but did not dare yet.. No way to fix myself against being thrown to the bow (when diving) or to the aft (waves !!) How do you guys cope with that ? Thinking about adding foot strap(s) rather than a line. Security matter: don't want to be drown being slept behind my own cat somehow...

Last weekend we practised ± 18-20 kn wind with crew. Experienced same challenges: sudden gale gave hardly any lift. Might as well we need to move our weight more to the aft but with unsteady wind very uncertain condition. Also short but steep waves demanded special attention. Dived more than once till the water almost reached the front crossbar ! Just managed to avoid flipping over ...

Fellow catsailors on F18 standing in trapeze at the utmost aft position passing by "effortless" .. crazy

A pole length of 3,5 m' is recommended earlier. Ours is only just 3,1 m'. Also compared with F18 spi (21 m2) ours is smaller (17 m2) Could that make substantial difference in bow lift ?

Keep you posted ! And any suggestions / advice ?
Please do. Some previous comments seem to indicate you are spi-sailing alone with far less control problems ? confused

Happy sailing from The Netherlands!

Eddie

Hobie 16 (1992) # 99173 & CT11 - with spi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022