Hop To
BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS #250170
06/28/12 06:46 AM
06/28/12 06:46 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

Hey all, just an update on the big "MOSSIE" nationals.
Arrived in Darwin Wednesday afternoon after 5 days of driving from Melbourne.
We have so far unpacked the boats and have beamed one and doing maintainance on the other.
Today is Thursday and in the nice 33 degrees I have been wet and drying and polishing the hulls from the road grime, lots of bundy been drunk in this process.
Friday (tomorrow) I'll be beaming the boat ready for a test sail.
Invertation race is on Saturday, so it will be stone brothers racing all the way, as like always in brother rivalary between unko and kryptnite.

Keep listening as I'm updating nightly

Matt unko (pres)

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250176
06/28/12 08:44 AM
06/28/12 08:44 AM
Melbourne
Nic M Offline
Nic M  Offline

Melbourne
So jealous of you Matt. Keep the reports coming......And have fun.

Nic Maan
Sanity 1815
Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250269
06/29/12 08:55 AM
06/29/12 08:55 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

Another 33 degrees, clear sky, nice 10 knot breeze all day.
My crew arrived today (Dave hart) and we put the boat together.
We saw some interesting way to get a 40 ft cat off the beach with a boom crane.
After that little event kryptnite's boat was ready to go for a test sail, as he is due in tonight I got to sail the boat about 4pm in th afternoon.
As it was about 5 to 7 knots we put the kite up and manage to get one hull flying, which was amazing.
Had welcome dinner tonight and mingle with the "big boys"
Picking up kryptnite from airport at 1am tonight and the racing begins tomorrow.

The fight begins,

Peace out

Matty

On other hand, I'm trying to locate the history boat, first MOSSIE ever built, I have some contacts and will take photos, if for sale I might buy it, do it up as its part of our history

Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250336
06/30/12 05:23 AM
06/30/12 05:23 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

Update, update update ,

First race today first start at 3pm. The fleet consist of 12 boats.
27 degrees today and wind was about 5 to 10 knots.
Bit rusty as i haven't had a crew for awhile.
We had a good start, and we were 1st around the top mark, bit slow getting the kite up, 2nd around the top mark 2nd lap, and 3rd around on the 3rd lap. Not bad going for the invitation race. After we came in we tweaked bits and pieces. and hope we can do better tomorrow.

and by the way UNKO=1 Kryptnite = 0

Its on!!!!

Matt

Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250355
06/30/12 07:29 PM
06/30/12 07:29 PM
Melb. Aust
Trevor Offline
enthusiast
Trevor  Offline
enthusiast

Melb. Aust
Fantastic effort for the first go around. How did Daniel go in the Invitation race, and is there an official site for the results?

Crossing my fingers you don't get a 4 lap race! grin

Trevor

Mozzie 1828
' '
Sugarloaf Sailing Club
Melbourne
Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250360
07/01/12 02:02 AM
07/01/12 02:02 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Matt,

I don't want to hear any more, jealous as hell. Would love to be there. cry

Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250363
07/01/12 04:13 AM
07/01/12 04:13 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

sorry gary, more to come, trev, tornado website or the manta website

today 30 degrees, wind, from 10 picked up to 15 to 17 knots, 2 races

first race, was a bit up and down, dave and i were 3rd but dropped down to 6th due to some gear failed, and the spin tack line gets caught in the spin sheet pulleys, and daniel and andy got thru,

unko = 0, kyriptnite= 1

2nd race after sitting around for 2 hours (who knows what for) good start, shat myself on the line cos of the massive speed, wind rush droped their mast which was a site to see, shackle exploded,, 5th around the top mark, and manage to get to 2nd after they changed the top mark out further, but lost in on the downwind, and got 3rd, and daniel behind,

unko 1 kryptnite 1

its on baby

matt

Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250431
07/02/12 08:31 AM
07/02/12 08:31 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

well today was interesting.....

nice 30 degrees, 20 knots of wind.
running a bit late for strat after some repairs from the previous day, 200 meters off shore i put us in the drink in the middle of all the mored boats, so the rule was if the mast hits the water you have to provide a case of beer to the fleet. BUGGER!
got out to the start and we raced, I'm a bit rusty on the helm and throwing the crew off the boat from harsh tacking. (sorry dave)
We were coming 4th at the time till dave's harness fell apart on him, so quick thinking of cutting the main halyard and tie his harness to him. mean while kryptnite came thru, and being us. Unko 5th, krypnite 4th

2nd race was shortly after, same wind same coarse but as per daily the race committee changes the top mark, meant to be 20 degrees to port but to find it in the same spot but 300 meters out to sea further,
Kryptnite was first to the top mark with Unko 3rd, on the first lap, as wind changes direction so id the order, undo was in 3rd spot and kryptnite in 5th.
to make their day better, kryptonite was OCS and blew their kite open and 1 bleeding man, so they finished and went in.

3rd race was shortly after the 2nd, wind had died down to 10 knots, 5 boats started out of 12, due to breakages in the first 2 races.
Kryptonite had enough for the day, but undo still powered on.
we started good till the first tack i did contender style, where i was tacking and my body got hit by a wave and flew around the back of the boat on the other side and manage to take the thing smooth, i don't know how but i did.
we got around the top mark 5th, but good thinking got us in 3rd spot in one gybe, and we finished in 3rd spot.

so all in all Unko = 3 kryptonite 2

round 3 tomorrow

elvis has left the building

Matt

Last edited by Matt_Stone; 07/02/12 08:35 AM.
Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250553
07/03/12 08:05 PM
07/03/12 08:05 PM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

what a day.

Windy, chilly wind but still 30 degrees,
races was postponed, till 11am.
went out and raced 3 races

first race we had a good start, and held brett and ryan up to the top mark, but dropped back on the downwind, the tide was running about 5 knots so had to overlay to get to the mark.
2nd lap we lost a place but gained it again by calling starboard at the top mark, and put them in no mans land.

in the end we got 3rd

2nd race the tide was running pretty good, and was pushing the fleet over the start line, the coarse was pretty much the same but couple of knots lighter, and in the end we got another 3rd.

3rd race wax getting light with lots of tide, we had a messy start and thought we were OCS but in thecend we weren't, but went back and went the other way and ended at the top mark in 2nd spot.
we were slow in getting kite up and boat rolled us, but got him back at the gate mark on starboard. The committee changed the coarse again and we thought we were first at the top mark but looking below us brett and ryan was rounded a mark and had kite up, so a screaming reach for us to the mark and got around it 3rd, but got the same guy back, but taking him too wide with the kite and we came in hot and crossed the line in 2nd spot.

all in all it was a god day

UNKO = 6 Kryptnite = 2

lay day wednesday,

Ill be back in a day or so

Matt

Re: BIG MOSSIE NATIONALS [Re: Matt_Stone] #250597
07/06/12 01:51 AM
07/06/12 01:51 AM
Matt_Stone Offline OP
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline OP
addict

ok peoples,

thursday was windy again, but still nice and warm.
1st rae we stuffed up the start but went out on port and paid off and got 2nd around the top mark, but still mistakes on the boat and the self tacking jib track broke one end so more time down, in the end we got 4th.

2nd race, was much the same but 10 knots of tide, we had a good start, but the top boats are tough to beat, and it was a close race and got a 4th.

Friday last 2 races.
Windy again, 20 knots plus, first race we trie to do a practice start at 5 min to go, and hit the pin marker and broke the locking mechanism and s the rudder came up no steering and turtled it, Another case of beer to the fellow sailers(DAMN) Got it up and and started sailing as my crew was roping the rudder in its box, and we end up getting a 7th

Mean while daniel and andy had to pull out as a missing bolt to the diamonds had gone twang and both wires were swinging. so no racing for them.

2nd race, was same wind prob heavier, with weather helm we did quite well, good start and was 4th around the top mark, the breeze came lighter and we caught up and managed to pip 3 boats on the last leg (it was tight comp) and got a 2nd.

In the end UNKO got 4th overall, didn't to to badly with all the problems we had.

party time now, ill ill se you guys in the real world next week

Matt

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022