08/24/12 12:05 PM
08/24/12 12:05 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Operating a Community Sailing Center is a local effort. However, the support and recognition from US SAILING helps keep the program viable to the local City and Community.

See www.sailsandpoint.org

Caleb Tarleton, Sail Sand Point Board

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Mike Hill] #251650
08/24/12 12:06 PM
08/24/12 12:06 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Beach front property is valuable .. The owner wants to be named on the policy. You don't have a beach access problem... you have an "I don't wanna pay the going market rate problem".

From what i remember, the distance races in Florida had a similar issue with liability coverage for the property owner....

You could form one organization, Incorporate so nobody has personal assets standing behind your insurance policy, buy the policy, write the registration checks to that organization and you can run regattas every weekend. Usually costs you 50 bucks to add a named landowner to the policy. (and it covers your liquor liability)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Mark Schneider] #251651
08/24/12 01:51 PM
08/24/12 01:51 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Mike, I don't know what the attorneys were asking of Chip and Barb.

I don't why everyone says we are crashing the ACat Party. They finish up on Friday and will be gone by Saturday morning. And the beach is huge and can easily accomodate an abundance of boats.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251653
08/24/12 03:09 PM
08/24/12 03:09 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by RickWhite
I don't why everyone says we are crashing the ACat Party. They finish up on Friday and will be gone by Saturday morning. And the beach is huge and can easily accomodate an abundance of boats.

I retract my earlier statement then, I thought their final day was Saturday. But we'd be crashing their party on Friday since many show up for T-winds Thurs night and Fri morning..

Jay

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251654
08/24/12 03:22 PM
08/24/12 03:22 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I for one would be showing up at least on Thursday, and going out to practice on Friday, may even get there on Weds. and practice both Thurs. and Fri.

I'm sure the A cat guys won't mind if we just jump in for a couple of their starts...

Right?

;^)

Blade F16
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251655
08/24/12 03:34 PM
08/24/12 03:34 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Rick, have you talked to anyone about access into the water and boat storage? It's very small, also I've never seen them allow boats ON the beach in front of the hotel.Yes ,it's huge but I think it's off limits, better to find out now then let the first one that shows up handle it( Been there done that). For all the Tybees and A cat races I've done there, they keep you over to the side and the A's usually overfill that area.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #251661
08/24/12 09:48 PM
08/24/12 09:48 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Yep out front is off limits. It blocks the view of the water and the entry into the water is maybe 2 boats wide unless it has changed.

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Mike Hill] #251662
08/24/12 10:07 PM
08/24/12 10:07 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Originally Posted by Mike Hill
There is a burgee program provided by Gowrie.

Burgee program

Our yacht club uses it. It's not cheap though. It's just a program that US Sailing partnered with to provide insurance to yacht clubs. It works fairly well for a large established yacht club. However it is not really appropriate for a one weekend regatta.

Last I saw prices a weekend regatta coverage was around $1000. That's not really in the budget for a small regatta.

I'd really like to find out how Bike organizations handle this. They have group rides all the time that have to be covered. They have races. It would be interesting to see how they handle their coverage. I know someone locally that's very involved in the Trailnet program and will inquire about it. Perhaps they don't think the exposure is as large for a bike ride/race.

Rick, Did they request 1 million or 3 million in liability coverage? Or maybe more? Just wondering.

I have gotten into mountain bike racing and our club Sorba is a member of Imba which provides some insurance for the events. Some out of town events charge a $5 license for the weekend which provides insurance. This is my first year and I did win my class of masters with a best score of 6 races. It cost $25 to enter and I ended up after each race with something worth more than my entry and a $75 gift certificate at the end. Oh and a bonus of losing 25 lbs and set up is fast take bike off rack put on shoes and helmet and ride. I still like sailing but the travel, boats and fees are getting to costly for me to do a lot of events.

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #251666
08/25/12 06:56 AM
08/25/12 06:56 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

I have been talking to Dennis Green, who has the beach concession, for a year or two. Even while we were entrenched at Founders Park, I wanted to have a Plan B in case things went awry. Indeed they did.

Dennis has been encouraging the entire time.

I really do not see a complication -- we don't ALL have to use the ramp area at the same time, do we?

Rick White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251671
08/25/12 09:38 PM
08/25/12 09:38 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Most of the local access issues that I've seen are managed by local governments, maybe the state for the bigger beaches. We've had good luck over the years, but I am aware of one site in Newport that was shut down by a single "taxpayer" at a meeting.

US Sailing won't be sending lawyers to these meetings, so I'm not sure what else they can do.

Like it or not, there is more bang for their buck by supporting yacht clubs and community boating centers, who tend to have fixed venues and assets. This is where they seem to put the effort to increase access to sailing.

Maybe we need a sea change on our side; rather than pushing against the tide and burning out more people, work with the YCs and CBCs to get new access. We need to stop being so unrealistically cheap, as the days of truly free access are certainly gone and not coming back.

Mike

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: brucat] #251673
08/25/12 11:12 PM
08/25/12 11:12 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Too keep programs viable, you need to show benefit to the local people. Today, we had four H-16's from Sail Sand Point on the water for five hours, taking people out for free rides. This was part of the "Day on the Water" at Magnuson Park in Seattle. Providing public benefit is the key to keeping your place on the beach.

Last edited by H17cat; 08/25/12 11:32 PM.
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: H17cat] #251674
08/26/12 07:04 AM
08/26/12 07:04 AM
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Talked to the Director of Founders and he is 100% for keeping it there, but there are a bunch of legal problems. He and I are still trying to see what can be done.

Rick White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251675
08/26/12 08:50 AM
08/26/12 08:50 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by RickWhite
I have been talking to Dennis Green, who has the beach concession, for a year or two. Even while we were entrenched at Founders Park, I wanted to have a Plan B in case things went awry. Indeed they did.

Dennis has been encouraging the entire time.

I really do not see a complication -- we don't ALL have to use the ramp area at the same time, do we?

With regards to the ramp, the reality of Founders Park was a pretty narrow path to the water (usually one boat's worth) because of everyone setting up their boats at the water line. I see the two launch ramps at the islander with a deeper and wider boat setup area as an improvement. Spring Fever launches half of their boats down a long single-wide concrete boat ramp...it's pretty orderly and you don't have to wait too long there either.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: David Ingram] #251680
08/26/12 09:40 AM
08/26/12 09:40 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Too bad US Sailing can't get parks to be beach cat friendly in the USA.

Dave that is a terrific idea!! I am sure the US Sailing Multihull Council would support any effort you make in working on this issue! We would even form an official committee or working group with you in the lead should you wish!

If you guys don't want to hear valid suggestions please stop asking.

Look at this on the other side of the coin, gentlemen.

I would gladly write a check every year for a considerable membership fee to an organization that would do nothing but work on securing and maintaining favorable beach access for sailing. How about you guys?

please note, this is not me soliciting for a job. I already have two...or three. I also do not have any expertise in what it would take to require beach access. However, I have a little disposable income and consider this would be a very worthwhile effort and would be glad to contribute something I do have available for it. This also isn't really me saying we need to start up a new organization. This is really me using a little sarcasm to try and point out the mistake it is to respond to a potential member of your organization, who has a valuable suggestion, with "sounds great, great suggestion, now do it yourself if you want it to happen...and, by the way, your dues are due". Not everyone has the time or expertise (or enthusiasm) to make bigger things happen than we can do alone. This is a key reason we join organizations and associations. It's not for a discount at the feed trough...it's not for a magazine or a shiny membership card.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Jake] #251682
08/26/12 09:42 AM
08/26/12 09:42 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Jake

Dave that is a terrific idea!! I am sure the US Sailing Multihull Council would support any effort you make in working on this issue! We would even form an official committee or working group with you in the lead should you wish!

I would gladly write a check every year for a considerable membership fee to an organization that would do nothing but work on securing and maintaining favorable beach access for sailing. How about you guys?

Definitely, and not feel like I was being extorted to do it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: Jake] #251684
08/26/12 09:46 AM
08/26/12 09:46 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by Jake

Yes! And we could come up with a really catchy name too, something like...um...

US Sailing!

Oh crap...

Blade F16
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251688
08/26/12 11:10 AM
08/26/12 11:10 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How much?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251691
08/26/12 12:13 PM
08/26/12 12:13 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
If you guys will pay me a 6 pack of Sam Adams Imperial Stout per day, I will give you unlimited access to Lake Jackson out of my back yard.

Oh, and mast up storage on the beach too!

Blade F16
Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: RickWhite] #251720
08/27/12 02:28 PM
08/27/12 02:28 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Maybe you should read my last post again. US Sailing does help with access, but in a different way than you're asking.

What's important is the water, not the beach; correct?

Mike

Re: Tradewinds venue change question [Re: brucat] #251723
08/27/12 04:04 PM
08/27/12 04:04 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by brucat

What's important is the water, not the beach; correct?

Mike

Generally speaking ... can't get to the water without crossing the beach.

USA 777
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 647 guests, and 173 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022