09/11/12 05:42 PM
09/11/12 05:42 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline OP
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline OP
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
I have not seen this posted before so check this out from the WEST System Epoxy website:

655-K Plastic Boat Repair Kit
Repair plastic canoes, kayaks and inflatables made from HDPE, LDPE, ABS, PVC or polycarbonate plastic with the contents of this kit. The Plastic Boat Repair Kit features plastic-
friendly G/flex 655 epoxy,and is assembled with the do-it-yourselfer in mind.

Each Plastic Boat Repair Kit contains 8.4oz of pre-thickened G/flex epoxy, protective gloves, mixing pallets and mixing sticks. Illustrated, detailed instructions explain
how to repair splits and cracks in plastic boats, attach or repair reinforcement points on inflatable boats and repair pinhole leaks in inflatables.

--Advertisement--
Re: Plastic repairs using West System epoxy [Re: Mike Fahle] #252238
09/12/12 10:41 AM
09/12/12 10:41 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
The G/flex will bond to the core material. It does not bond to the skin on the Wave.

When you use it, the edges of the repair need a shallow taper, about 8:1.

Be very very careful about using the heat treatment/flame treatment. The skin on a Wave will bubble up. That is an "oh sh*t" moment. That happened to me when I tried to weld with a hot air gun. I pressed the bubble back in place, while it was hot enough to burn my fingers and have not had problems. I now use a tiny little tip on a butane or propane torch. If you have tools that you use and know well, try them. A welder told me he uses a super tiny tip on a brazing torch. That is his business and he knows his tools.

I have heard that silicon tape and heat shrink tape can be used to smooth rough spots. I was thinking that might something to try on the bow.

Right now, there is just not simple way to repair cross-linked materials. The only way, I know to fair an old hull would be to strip the skin and spray it with a "primer" that is compatible with epoxy and linear polyurethane and that would have to be done in a spray booth. There are companies working on repair kits and one of the goals for a next generation plastic in addition to cheaper, lighter, tougher, stiffer, etc is REPAIRABLE

Last edited by carlbohannon; 09/12/12 10:42 AM.
Re: Plastic repairs using West System epoxy [Re: carlbohannon] #252261
09/13/12 09:24 AM
09/13/12 09:24 AM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
Repairable plastics do exist. not sure why Hobie builds boats this way..its environmentally irresponsible

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 373 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022