10/12/12 09:23 AM
10/12/12 09:23 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
I think the advantage of having enough hands to trim downhaul, jib, main, spi and helm is an advantage in all conditions. The difference is just more pronounced in stronger winds.

--Advertisement--
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: pitchpoledave] #253446
10/13/12 07:13 AM
10/13/12 07:13 AM
Finland
valtteri Offline
valtteri  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
Also I think that the differences in speed are dependant on wind strength. At lighter winds the Uni might even have an advantage and in heavier winds its a larger disadvantage. Where is the cross over point?

At least to me the really light up wind is more difficult for cat rigged boat because you have to be really forward on the boat and you must choose if you look up almost backwards (trim the sail and see the tell tales) or forward (to look where you are going and what's happening around you). Things get easier when there is more wind because then it's easier to trim the main based on flying the hull without looking it and concencrate on what's happening around you. For two man boat it's easier, the skipper can see the jib and drive based on that while looking forward and the crew can handle the main. Things are bit different when going down wind, generally the two man boat can always trim two sails at the same time, but there is definetely some times in lighter winds when the uni F16 is a rocket at least when comparing to the F18's which are the only cat's that I've sailed against.

Valtteri Blade F16
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253477
10/14/12 08:17 PM
10/14/12 08:17 PM
Palm Harbor, FL
daniel_t Offline
enthusiast
daniel_t  Offline
enthusiast

Palm Harbor, FL
Originally Posted by waynemarlow
5% is probably about right around the cans, but how can you get those sort of gains, yes A Class masts and sails will help, but we have to get more drive down lower so that RM isn't the major factor. Allowing the use of a small jib is probably the only way that can be done and no, in my opinion widening the boat, will only create further problems.

It seems to me that making the jib smaller would solve the problem. It wouldn't affect the 1-Up boats at all (because they can't use the jib,) and it would slow down the 2-Up boats. The whole point of the jib in the class, as I see it, is to give a 2-up boat enough extra thrust to counter the extra weight. So if the jib is adding too much extra thrust, then reduce its size.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253478
10/14/12 09:19 PM
10/14/12 09:19 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
not sure I like depowering the two up boats. I sail HEAVY two up.

Y'all just need to man up. Sure there's conditions that I wouldn't go out singlehanded that I would two up, but for the most part I'm happy with how I stack up singlehanded against the two up boats. Its not easy, but I've done well singlehanded. I'd also say I finish more constantly singlehanded

I'm boatless.
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: Karl_Brogger] #253481
10/15/12 04:08 AM
10/15/12 04:08 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
not sure I like depowering the two up boats. I sail HEAVY two up.

Y'all just need to man up. Sure there's conditions that I wouldn't go out singlehanded that I would two up, but for the most part I'm happy with how I stack up singlehanded against the two up boats. Its not easy, but I've done well singlehanded. I'd also say I finish more constantly singlehanded

Sailing heavy dual handed is probably pushing the weight envelope a little too far for a F16 boat, then you state that you do better more consistantly single handed, isn't that sort of supporting the argument that you may just need a bigger boat when dual handing..

Those in the heavier weight catagory as a solo can often find with all there sailing gear they are up around 100kgs often racing against a dual pair of 120kgs all up, with all the extra drive of the sail area, but then this is not unique in a lot of sport, where ones physique has far more impact than we would expect

"Manning up" is not going to help I'm afraid, the difference between the boats is just too wide at the moment. It would be an interesting experiment for the class to allow an open sail plan for the single handers up to the dual limits, for a few years just to see what the impact would be, nothing gained nothing lost to at least try it out.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253484
10/15/12 08:19 AM
10/15/12 08:19 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Two up, my favorite crew weight has been 385 lbs. You lose a bit in the light air, but you're untouchable in heavy stuff.

Manning up is what you need to do. The absolute best I've ever sailed I was fresh off my pseudo divorce, and pissed off as kiss. I was angry, and whooping butt. Not super stiff competition, but not a case of beating up on a pile of slackers either.

Single handing is hard, and there's less room for error. all I see here is whining, and crying about things not being fair. Build a boat inside the rules that you think'll do it, and maybe I'll be interested in buying one. I've been kicking around getting into boat building for a while, but I've got enough on my plate as is.

I'm boatless.
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: Karl_Brogger] #253489
10/15/12 10:43 AM
10/15/12 10:43 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Karl,

at this point I think it is an objective fact that the uni is disadvantaged when racing with the doublehanders. Trying to stick labels saying "whining", "crying", "man up" etc on those who dont agree with you undermines what arguments you have.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253499
10/15/12 11:54 AM
10/15/12 11:54 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Okay. Fair enough. But I do think people like finding excuses for their ability to suck.

While I do agree there is an disadvantage hands wise, I don't think there is a disadvantage boat wise. Sure some things could be optimized a bit better with a purpose built singlehander, but you'd still be short that extra set of hands, and eyes. And, you'd probably end up with a boat that would suck balls with two people on it, or not even be able to handle having two people on it. Which is fine if you're okay with having big money stuck into two boats.

You either dissolve the F16 thing and start new, (not a fan of this option), or you work a bit harder to make up for that lack of someone to talk to. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but everything pretty much averages out for me where I finish in the two configurations.

Maybe next year I'll do F16 Nationals singlehanded and see what happens. That second set of eyes is why I typically do big events two up. You are blind when you are on the wire going downwind. I don't need a high speed collision to ruin my week, or worse someone else's.

I'm boatless.
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: Karl_Brogger] #253509
10/15/12 01:57 PM
10/15/12 01:57 PM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

Okay. Fair enough. But I do think people like finding excuses for their ability to suck.

Karl

Not sure those on this forum are lacking in ability nor " whining " because they are not winning, not sure where you bought that into the frame.

It would be interesting for you to try a comp as a single hander, as I would suspect you may be a little further down the order than what you would hope and by the way you say the boats are more equal than others are saying, don't blame the boat. Next year put into action what you are saying. I await the results.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253512
10/15/12 03:29 PM
10/15/12 03:29 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
I race singlehanded quite a bit. Just never done a big one singlehanded.

I'm boatless.
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253517
10/15/12 09:08 PM
10/15/12 09:08 PM
Fort Myers/Cape Coral, FL
coralreefer Offline
stranger
coralreefer  Offline
stranger

Fort Myers/Cape Coral, FL
I currently have a Hobie16 but I wanted to add my thoughts on this subject, as I am researching what boat I would like to get next. Honestly I think the H16 is dated technology, nothing wrong with it, but I would like to get into a more modern platform for racing, etc.

My choice will be about flexibility. Often I can't find a lightweight crew (lady) for racing so I don't go, as single handed H16's are not allowed. I'd like to have some of my heavier friends (guys) crew for me, but why bother, as the combo would be to heavy and we'd be uncompetitive.

So its down to F18 (flexible for heavier crews with different sail and weight choices) or the F16 where I can plan on going to a race even if I can't find a crew.

For me its about being able to race, simply put. The less classes the better, don't mess with that part of it. If you separate the classes into two, then you get rid of the main appeal of the F16 to me as a consumer, being able to race both configurations. If that is going to be the case, then I'll change my choices to A-cat or F18.

If you separate into two classes, then it won't be long until there are F16 2-up regatta's only, or regatta's where there are not enough solo's to have a class, etc.

It would be better to tweak with the specs of the boat to ensure equality with the two configurations. I agree with the poster who said the boat's now been out long enough that perhaps some tweaking is needed.

2014 Hobie 16
1995 Hobie 16
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: coralreefer] #253521
10/16/12 03:52 AM
10/16/12 03:52 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

Guys and Gals, this thread was all about boats, in particular 16ft boats and how to help their performance as a single hander.

Please if you want to discuss possible rule changes, discuss peoples lack of performance, or any other thing, other than 16ft boats and how to help their performance as a single hander, then do it in another thread. mad

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253524
10/16/12 05:27 AM
10/16/12 05:27 AM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Guys and Gals, this thread was all about boats, in particular 16ft boats and how to help their performance as a single hander.

Please if you want to discuss possible rule changes, discuss peoples lack of performance, or any other thing, other than 16ft boats and how to help their performance as a single hander, then do it in another thread. mad

Wayne,

I'm sure you meant that response to the general audience and not to coralreefer on his first post to the forum....right?

Coral,

Welcome to the F16 forum! You'll find lots of varying opinions and sometimes "emotion" on certain topics ... but overall a great bunch of people who share a common passion ... sailing.

If you have any questions on the platform, there are plenty of sailors here in FL that sail both two-up and one-up. timbo and pgp generally are always one up ... seth, jody and me usually have crew but also race 1-up (although I've had a pretty steady skipper for the last year or so).

As Wayne says, if you have some questions feel free to create another thread.

T.

USA 777
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: tback] #253527
10/16/12 08:19 AM
10/16/12 08:19 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

Originally Posted by tback
I'm sure you meant that response to the general audience and not to coralreefer on his first post to the forum....right?.

Correct no ref to Coralreefer, nice to see the general philosophy of the class, that of a general racing all rounder for both Uni and light weight duals, is still current.

Now can we get back to boat design please.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253528
10/16/12 08:26 AM
10/16/12 08:26 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Coralreefer, the flexability of being able to go one up or two up is what brought me to the F16 class. Racing Uni will never be "Equal" to racing two up, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but I like the challenge of doing it alone.

Like you mentioned in your post, if you are -always- going to be racing one up, get an A cat. If you are -always- going to have crew, either get an F18 or F16 if you and your crew are on the lighter side, and race it two up...but at least with the F16, if your crew gets hurt or is a no-show, you can still race.

I've often wondered why the Hobie 16 class doesn't allow racing solo. It's so easy on a non-spinnaker boat, I would think they would welcome the additional boats to their fleet.

Blade F16
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253541
10/16/12 12:31 PM
10/16/12 12:31 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Why not just let the 1 ups race with the jib. Yes lighter, yes not as many hands. Comes about even. But the rule should be you have to sail the entire regatta in the same configuration.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253548
10/16/12 01:27 PM
10/16/12 01:27 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
The H16 is a pig to right.

I'm boatless.
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253553
10/16/12 03:04 PM
10/16/12 03:04 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Then don't flip it over!

You know I've never seen an H16 with footstraps at the back for those screaming reaches, I wonder why not? I'm going to put some on my Hobie 14, just to keep my butt at the back when I'm going downhill in big breeze. That aluminum rack gets very slippery, even with the grip strips.

Blade F16
Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: Karl_Brogger] #253554
10/16/12 03:16 PM
10/16/12 03:16 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The H16 is a pig to right.

You just need to eat more grits yankee boy.

I never had any problem righting a H16 and it's a hell of a lot easier to climb back on one. My F16 has tried to drown me a few times.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Uni boat specification / ideas [Re: waynemarlow] #253555
10/16/12 05:48 PM
10/16/12 05:48 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
By yourself? I couldn't do it, but I'm borderline with the Viper.

So have we come up with a list of desirable singlehanded boat qualities that fall within the current rules set yet?

I'm boatless.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 427 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022