10/29/03 09:41 AM
10/29/03 09:41 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I want to know what this sail is composed of. Looks like a pure film windsurfer sail on a tboat.
[Linked Image]

When I get my tboat, I'm going to be looking for something like this. I think I'd like being able to see through my sail, it would make starting lines a lot safer imo.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: I bet this sail don't stretch to much... [Re: MauganN20] #25384
10/29/03 10:50 AM
10/29/03 10:50 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
It's probably a lot easier to fall THROUGH it in a capsize too....

Jake Kohl
Re: I bet this sail don't stretch to much... [Re: Jake] #25385
10/29/03 11:15 AM
10/29/03 11:15 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Jake,

I'm disappointed, I thought you'd realize by now that rockstars like myself don't capsize.... evar :P

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: Luiz] #25386
10/29/03 02:37 PM
10/29/03 02:37 PM
D
DaveCalvert Offline
stranger
DaveCalvert  Offline
stranger
D

The object for most sailmakers is to come up with the best design, for a given boat, and use materials that will maintain this design over a wide wind range. There are two lifes for a sail,the life of the sail cloth, and the performance life. The performance life, is the length of time that a sail will matain its designed shape. The cloth life, is the time a given materal will last after being subjected to wind loads, flutter, UV exposure, etc.
In most cases, materals that have low stretch,light weight, and good durability are most prefered. There are always comprimises. The materials that best fit this discription, are also the most expensive.Sails made with low stretch materals, can be designed fuller. This gives more power in light winds, and will not stretch and become too full as the wind builds, compared to their more stretchy counterparts.Pentex is a good all around fiber for most beach cat sails. This fiber has twice the modulas as polyester, giving it twice the strength, and about 30% less stretch, as polyester. The price is also good. Using stronger cloth with less stretch, enables the sailmaker to go down in weight, as well. Jibs are often made with a preminum dacron called square dacron. This is a balenced weave and can be used in a triradial cut. This is a fairly low stretch dacron, and will stand up better to the abuse that jibs experance. The mains have many full battens that reduce flutter, they wear much better because of this. Laminates will last much longer in the full batten mains.
Dave

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: DaveCalvert] #25387
10/30/03 02:27 AM
10/30/03 02:27 AM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Some times wishes do come true…Thanks Dave for your informed comments. Never saw you post on Cat Sailor before…hope this is the first on many posts…it is so nice to have someone of your expertise take the time to respond.

I use to windsurf on occasionally with Tem Berkstresser, I remember him going incredibly fast on your racing sails, have you kept in contact with him?

Bob

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: Seeker] #25388
10/30/03 10:41 AM
10/30/03 10:41 AM
D
DaveCalvert Offline
stranger
DaveCalvert  Offline
stranger
D

Bob,
Thanks for the mention. It's good to hear from someone that remembers our windsurfer sails. That was a great period for me. Designing, and testing sailboard sails, resulted in some real performance breakthroughs. Alot of this has been applied to multihull sail designs. BTW, Tem Berkstresser just arrived at the loft yesterday. He is picking up a new Vectran screacher, and fullbatten jib for his 60' cat that he designed, and built.(with a little design help from Bill Roberts) It seems that most of the top US windsurfer sailors, and industry people are going to multihulls. Tem's ex partner Pat LeMahaute, is about to finish his 38' Kurt Hughes Tri,and Keith Notery's 60' cat is about done, as well. Many others are racing Corsairs, and beach cats.
Dave

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: DaveCalvert] #25389
10/30/03 11:50 AM
10/30/03 11:50 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Mr. Calvert,

Is there any information online about said 60' cats?

(pictures would be nice, my cubicle is very boring right now)

Funny you mention that, Dave [Re: DaveCalvert] #25390
10/30/03 01:53 PM
10/30/03 01:53 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I still have one or two of your windsurf sails! I got out of the sport in the late 90's (too much $$ on the arms race) and picked up a beachcat. I guess I'm just one of the crowd! I still keep about 3 boards and a quiver in case I get the urge, though....

I figured my counterparts went to kitesailing with the expectation of bigger air. Being a true sailor at heart, I went "back", but couldn't handle going "slow" again, so beachcats were my only option (until I make gobs more money). Been on the F-boats, but not sure what to think of them yet. Need more crew time, I guess...

Keep up the great work down there, and congrats on your PlayStation accomplishments!

Jay

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: DaveCalvert] #25391
10/30/03 02:13 PM
10/30/03 02:13 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
It is great to have you here!

I once bought one of your Hobie 21 square top mainsails (Giles delivered it to me personally) and that sail convinced other guys here to buy from you as well (SC17, SC19, etc.)

Unfortunatelly, so far I received no reply from Arnaldo, but (correct me if I am wrong) what you said is not in direct contradiction with what he said.

I think you said more or less that each sail cloth has its weight, moduli and durability features and the best sail is the one that, using those features, results in the best compromise. Then you gave examples.

Mainly, what Arnaldo said is the following:

a) rigid sails (I think he means those constructed with higher modulus cloth) are more secific to the wind strength they were designed for, then a more flexible sail.

b) Rigid sails (here I think he means 3DL and tape drive) do not keep their shape as long as it would be expected after they leave the mould.

Do you agree with those two statements?

THANKS!
Luiz

Luiz
Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: Sharky] #25392
10/30/03 02:51 PM
10/30/03 02:51 PM
M
Mark L Offline
Mark L  Offline
M

If your going square top, I would'nt use 5 oz Dacron, too stretchy. Pentex is the best option cost-wise. You might get a little preformance advantage using Kevlar of Carbon, but that small advantage will be short lived and probably not worth it unless you are buying sails to win the Nationals or something like that. The Pentex sails will be
a little more forgiving trim-wise, and that can be a good thing in chop.

Tell your sailmaker what kind of sailing you do and what
type of conditions you most often sail.

Good luck

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: Mark L] #25393
10/30/03 05:51 PM
10/30/03 05:51 PM
Reno, NV
pschmalz Offline
journeyman
pschmalz  Offline
journeyman

Reno, NV
I have a Calvert dacron square top for my 5.8. It must be 8 or 10 oz material - weighs a ton. I think the original owner must have asked for a sail that would outlive the boat. It goes like snot in light and medium air , but I have difficulty controling it in heavy air (15 mph +) - that might have more to do with me than the sail design though. In very light air it makes the boat almost unbeatable.

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: Mark L] #25394
10/30/03 06:26 PM
10/30/03 06:26 PM
D
DaveCalvert Offline
stranger
DaveCalvert  Offline
stranger
D

Luiz,
My feelings about "rigid" sails vs. "flexable" sails are this. Sail technolory has come a long way from the cross cut dacron days. The computer generated load maps of sails, has resulted in triradial cuts, 3DL,and tape drive sail constructions. All in an attempt to more acurately oriant the cloth fibers along the lines of stress, or loads on the sails. Materals have also gone from polyesters to Pentex, Kevlar, and more recently Carbon Fiber. All of this technology has resulted from the need to build sails that maintain their designed shape longer.
We build dacron sails only for durability and cost. Most of our customers are racers, and want the best performance for their money. We try to build the lowest stretch, lightest, most durabil sails for their budget. Sails that are "rigid"
and hold their shape over a wide wind range, are, in my mind the objective. We come up with the best design that we can for all conditions,and try to select a material that will maintain that shape. Most beach cats have numerous adjustments to alter the shape for differant winds. If we build sails from stretchy materal, the overall shape will be flatter to begin with, to account for the stretch, resulting from increased wind loads. There is more guess work involved.They tend to be too flat in light winds, or too full for high winds If the proper cloth is selected, the sails should maintain their designed shape for the life of the cloth. I don't know of many top racers, that are buying several sails, to meet the various wind conditions.
In fact most regattas restrict changing sails.
I hope this helps.
Dave

Re: New Sails... opinions [Re: DaveCalvert] #25395
10/30/03 08:15 PM
10/30/03 08:15 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Dave,

Thanks again! I am not sure if I understand it all, but it makes sense to me.

I have excelent news:

The author of the article that started this discussion, Arnaldo Andrade, sailmaker in Cognac/Brasil (and also a physicist), sent me two replies, one of them quoting your words.

He wrote them fast after a day's work and asked me to edit, but I will just correct the typos. Some parts are marked "to be completed" and I will leave them as they are now.

[color:"red"]I will post both replies on his behalf as new replies to the initial post, so please go on with the discussion from there.[/color] I am sure that we will all benefit from the interchange of ideas.

Cheers,

Luiz
Post on behalf of Arnaldo Andrade - Cognac/Brazil [Re: Sharky] #25396
10/30/03 08:33 PM
10/30/03 08:33 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
b]The post Arnaldo is replying to:[/b]

What is being said here flies in the face of everything that has been learned within the windsurfing community for the last 30 years.
When Dacron was used, the rig was easy to overpower and had a very narrow wind range…the Dacron/Mylar laminate was better…then battens were added which helped increase the range, then camber inducers to force more shape into the sail. All these things helped, but when the sail manufactures started to use Mylar film and scrim/Mylar sandwich things really started to happen…all the sudden one sail could cover the wind range of 2-4 Dacron old school sails.
The designer could then design the shape into the sail and be sure it would keep its shape in a wide wind range, if set on the correct mast and used with low flex carbon booms…
The sails became much more responsive to tuning…if you set the down haul or out haul a certain place, it stayed there until you changed it…the wild fluctuation of center of effort in the sail was now gone…as the wind picked up by proper adjustment of the down haul and out haul the center of effort could now be brought down lower and moved forward on the sail making it more controllable, with the head bleeding off excess power that would slam a sailor with similar size old school sail under equal conditions.

You can’t keep the design foil in as wide of wind conditions if you have a fabric that is constantly changing shape. Dacron is generally cheaper, and more resilient to rough handling, although I have had just as many Dacron/Mylar windsurfing sails delaminate as I have Mylar, mylar/scrim/mylar sails.

Bob

Arnaldo's reply

First of all: It is illogical to suppose that a sail should "keep its form on a wide wind range". No matter what this initial form might be, it's evident that it should change as the wind increases. If directly asked the question "shall we sail in different wind conditions with the same sail shape?" most yachtsmen will (correctly) answer "no".

I think the main question is simply "what instruments do we have to change sail shape?"

Nowadays people think that the only way to alter sail shape is through (a) sheet tension, (b) halyard and outhaul tension and (c) mast bend. The sail is considered basically a passive subject and would just suffer the consequences of the changes in trim. In this sense, the more stability the sail had, the less it would impart the efficiency of the mentioned trimming resources.

This idea is not illogical, though I find it far from luminous. It is, nonetheless, very widespread. Why is it so popular? You have pointed to some of these reasons, which include commercial interests and profit. But there are other reasons of a more human nature that may account for the popularity of the concept:

(a) Boats became quite fast in the last decades. Fine tuning of the rig and of the sails are a time consuming task. Many yachtsmen think that tactics, for instance, are more important than yet another little pull at a downhaul or a bit more tensioning of an outhaul. Windsurfers are the quintessence of this new concept. You trim the sail once and go racing. The mast and a clever geometry of the sail will do whatever may be necessary as sail trim goes. Many fast small boats are raced in the same way.

(b) Sail shape is, in fact, something VERY elusive. It may be easy to state that a certain mainsail should have 5% camber here or 10% camber there. A totally different issue is to determine these numbers by just looking at the flying shape of a sail. Most yachtsmen simply cannot state what cambers or twists their sails show in a certain moment. A dare say the error are no less than 50% in most guesses. Thus, if a sailmaker is able to make a somewhat "rigid" sail with a preformed shape, everyone will be happy. At least one will know that the flying shape at any given moment will be not dramatically different from the initial shape. With a help from the rigging the boat will probably have sails that will change shape in accordance with the accepted paradigms (flatter sails and more twint in a breeze, for instance). For those unable to precisely evaluate sail shape, a discussion about the whole issue is like hearing to a speech in greek. Sails that boast "a predetermined shape" end up as quite wellcome.

(c) Racing results tend to confirm the idea that "rigid sails" are unsurpassed. Of course this should be so, anyway, since they represent an ample majority of the sails presently racing. Not many mathematicians are asked for an evaluation of the technical consequences of such a biased test.

In a continuous feedback system, sailmakers and yachstmen have reinforced the concept of the rigid sails. In the beginning it may be that sailmakers did not fully believe the story. They demonized flexibility to be able to convince people to buy sails made of rigid cloths like "yarn tempered Dacron". Very cumbersome, these cloths profoundly displeased people used to cotton or to soft Dacron. But little by little the better performance of these sails finished convincing everybody they were better suited for racing.

(I will add a couple of paragraphs here later)

Most yachtsmen don't know much about sailcloth. In general they simply know what they read in magazines and technical sites. Since quite often the text is accompannied by an appraisal of the authors, the readers "buy" the whole idea and are unable to discern what is just technical data and what is bias.

Arnaldo Andrade is a sailmaker in Cognac/Brazil and also a physicist.

Luiz
Post on behalf of Arnaldo A- reply to Dave C. [Re: Sharky] #25397
10/30/03 08:47 PM
10/30/03 08:47 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
[color:"blue"]The object for most sailmakers is to come up with the best design, for a given boat, and use materials that will maintain this design over a wide wind range. [/color]

I disagree. There is no "best design" for a wide wind range. The more it is "best" the narrower is the wind range. A good example are Zuccoli sails for the Tornado Class, particularly the jibs. They are numbered and cover VERY LIMITED wind ranges. Zuccoly Dacron tri-radial sails still show some desirable geometric changes as the wind increases but their mylar counterparts are really good for their designed wind range, whis is generally a narrow one.

Sails that can be used in a wide wind range are precisely those that do change their shape, though very slightly and "in the right way" (that is, "self-flattening" in the breeze). Aided by important trim changes at the rig level, these sails can perform reasonably well ove a wider wind range.

[color:"blue"]There are two lifes for a sail,the life of the sail cloth, and the performance life. The performance life, is the length of time that a sail will matain its designed shape. The cloth life, is the time a given materal will last after being subjected to wind loads, flutter, UV exposure, etc.[/color]

I agree, the performance life of a Dacron sail, for instance, is usually 1/10 of its "mechanical" life.

[color:"blue"]In most cases, materals that have low stretch,light weight, and good durability are most prefered.[/color]

The question is "why". It's dangerous to take for granted that only low stretch, light weight materials can make fast sails. In some cases, as for bigger multihulls, other factors become more important. Some self flattening ability, for instance, is highly desirable, since masts on these boats tend to be almost non-flexible.

[color:"blue"] There are always comprimises. The materials that best fit this discription, are also the most expensive.Sails made with low stretch materals, can be designed fuller. This gives more power in light winds, and will not stretch and become too full as the wind builds, compared to their more stretchy counterparts.[/color]

This may be true for jibs but is not true for many mainsails. The Tornado mainsail, for instance, is cut almost totally flat, whatever the cloth used. It's the mast and the battens that give the sail its final shape. Although enormously successful, the Tornado mainsail is a blatant contradiction to the concept of the "preformed" sail.

[color:"blue"] Pentex is a good all around fiber for most beach cat sails. This fiber has twice the modulas as polyester, giving it twice the strength, and about 30% less stretch, as polyester. The price is also good. Using stronger cloth with less stretch, enables the sailmaker to go down in weight, as well. [/color]

This is true, particularly for beach cat mainsails.

[color:"blue"] Jibs are often made with a preminum dacron called square dacron. This is a balenced weave and can be used in a triradial cut. This is a fairly low stretch dacron, and will stand up better to the abuse that jibs experance. The mains have many full battens that reduce flutter, they wear much better because of this. Laminates will last much longer in the full batten mains.[/color]

Battened jibs (of Tornados' , for instance) can be made of Pentex, too. Other laminates, as the Brazilian Prolam, are made in a different way and resist in a better way the abuses that jibs experience.

Arnaldo Andrade
adrianno@openlink.com.br

Luiz
Re: Post on behalf of Arnaldo A- reply to Dave C. [Re: Luiz] #25398
10/31/03 11:06 AM
10/31/03 11:06 AM
D
DaveCalvert Offline
stranger
DaveCalvert  Offline
stranger
D

Thank you Arnaldo,
Your comments reflect your vast experance with physics, and sailmaking.
I still dont understand why you would disagree on the concept of a "best" all around design, for a given boat.
We have gone thru extensive on the water testing for various class boats. Much like what we would do during our windsurfing sailmaking days.
We would try differant luff curves, twists, draft positions, etc. Than we would switch boats, and sailors, to eliminate variables, and often arrive at a shape that would best perform over a range of conditions. Granted, as wind, and sea conditions change, the shape of the sails should change as well.
But, most of our customers here, don't want to hear that they should be buying not one new main, but two or three to be more competitive in all conditions.
If the sail is very flat, (like the Tornado main that you mentioned)there will be a lack of power, in the light air.
This will result in the boat not being to fly a hull as quick as the competition. This is a disadvantage, like a windsurfer not being able to get on a plane as quick as other competitors. As the wind builds, the mast will bend from the added mainsheet loads alone. This will further flatten the sail, by taking out luff curve. If the mast bends as much, or more than the luff curve in the sail, the sail will distort, the draft will move aft, and performance will suffer.
For these same reasons, a fairly full sail, with stable sail cloth, will automatically self flatten as the mast bends under increased mainsheet loads. The modern downhauls can further flatten the main as needed. In fact we have been suscessful using the downhaul to flatten, and add twist to mainsails in light air, extending their range even further. Jibs, are another story. The jib adjustments are very limited. But again, most racers that we deal with, want one best suted to the local conditions.
You asked, "why" to my statement, "In most cases,materials that have low stretch, light weight, and good durability are most perfered".
Multihull sailors in general, go thru extremes to reduce weight, especally aloft. A light sail, reduces weight, and makes the boat easier to right. Most of the advances in racing sailcloth has been aimed at reducing weight, and stretch. From windsurfers, to America's cup, to the Maxi catamarns, this applies.
My question is, "how"
How can a flexable sail be self flattening on a large multihull, with a non-flexable mast? My experance has showed me that big multihull sails just keep getting fuller, as the wind builds, especally if the material is not stable enough, or the mast doesn't bend.
These are my opinions, based on personal experance with small to maxi multihulls.
Cheers,
Dave

Re: Post on behalf of Arnaldo A- reply to Dave C. [Re: DaveCalvert] #25399
10/31/03 12:27 PM
10/31/03 12:27 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Mr. Calvert,

Can your loft make me a sail like on that tornado that I posted earlier in this thread?

Re: Post on behalf of Arnaldo A- reply to Dave C. [Re: MauganN20] #25400
10/31/03 01:37 PM
10/31/03 01:37 PM
D
DaveCalvert Offline
stranger
DaveCalvert  Offline
stranger
D

Yes,
We can, and have made cat sails out of monofilm. The Tornado main sail, in the photo, is probally a 6 or 7 mil monofilm.
We made a square top main like this for a Stiletto 23, about 10 years ago. The materal is low stretch in all directions but, not very durabil. I don't recomend it.
Dave

Re: Post on behalf of Arnaldo A- reply to Dave C. [Re: DaveCalvert] #25401
10/31/03 03:13 PM
10/31/03 03:13 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
You're probably right. I don't have a very good history involving sail durability

Another post o.b.o. Arnaldo A [Re: DaveCalvert] #25402
11/02/03 06:28 PM
11/02/03 06:28 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Hi there,

(translated from Portuguese)

Luiz, please check if my answer is worth posting. I'd rather not start too serious a controversy - only healthy discussion. I'd really have no time for it and it is not without a certain sacrifice that I write those texts. Please use a spell checker in my replies because I have none in my computer. My English is rusty because most of the texts I've been writing lately are in French.

If you find anything too strong, please take it out.

Regards,
Arnaldo,

(end of translated text)

> Thank you Arnaldo,
> Your comments reflect your vast experance with physics,
> and sailmaking. I still dont understand why you would
> disagree on the concept of a "best" all around design, for a
> given boat.

(follows a description on how he developed such a sail)

Dave Calvert’s paragraphs on the way he arrived to a best all around design are perfect. They help us in understanding that there is no basic contradiction between the quest for an “all around sail” and the creation of a sail with the ability to change its geometry. Such a sail would also be “an all around sail”. The difference is the following: whereas Dave’s way considers the sail geometry as essentially fixed and relies on the rigging for sail shape control; I believe that the sail itself can be part of the solution.

In his description he says:

> Granted, as wind, and sea conditions change,
> the shape of the sails should change as well.

A sail that could self flatten in the breeze would enlarge its useful range, possibly to a wider extent than could a “fixed geometry” type of sail (since the latter would rely only on rigging changes for shape control).

He then follows the thread by saying:

> But, most of our customers here, don't want to
> hear that they should be buying not one new main, but
> two or three to be more competitive in all conditions.

Whereas PHRF sailors may refrain from buying many different sails, a great number of classes indulge in a frenzy of specific sails. Tornado is one of these classes (especially for jibs), but even old designs as the Snipe do follow this trend - not that I agree with it. I'd rather keep sail inventory to a minimum. What I say is that nowadays many classes admit that a great number of sails may be necessary for a boat to be adequately competitive.

Then the question of the Tornado sail comes back:

> If the sail is very flat, (like the Tornado main that you
> mentioned)there will be a lack of power, in the
> light air. This will result in the boat not being to fly a
> hull as quick as the competition.
> This is a disadvantage ...

First of all, a correction and an apology. I wrote that Zuccoli Tornado sails cover a very limited wind range. I was referring to the jibs. The mainsails do show a wide range of use, for reasons explained below.

In fact, if the Tornado sail I mentioned (99% of the boats use it) WERE flat, I would totally agree with Dave. It happens that a Zuccoli mainsail is NOT flat when set on the mast. It’s just its construction that is flat. The flying shape is not, due to the battens, to the mast and to a small number of almost secret details. The conclusions are far reaching, as they mean that you don’t need to put draft in a sail to see draft when the sail is properly set (*). Zuccoli mainsails are reasonably full in light winds and no one can deny they are a blatant success. But since they are (1) radial and (2) built flat, they respond much better to luff tension, outhaul tension and mast bend than previous sails. It was Dave himself who wrote:

> For these same reasons, a fairly full sail, with stable sail cloth,
> will automatically self flatten as the mast bends under increased
> mainsheet loads. The modern downhauls can further flatten the
> main as needed. In fact we have been suscessful using the
> downhaul to flatten, and add twist to mainsails in light air,
> extending their range even further.

What he is describing is - precisely - a sail that has variable geometry, that is, a self-flattening sail. The only mistake, in my opinion, is his reference to a “stable cloth”. Is is precisely because the sailcloth stretches that the sail geometry changes. The merit of Zuccoli and some other sailmakers, is to have devised a construction of sails in such a way that cloth flexibility is an aid in the control of sail shape, rather than an enemy to fight.

> Jibs, are another story. The jib adjustments
> are very limited. But again, most racers that
> we deal with, want one best suted to the local
> conditions.

Keeping with the example of Zuccoli sails, it seems that the self-flattening ability of his mainsails could not be emulated on the jibs. The reasons may not fit in the present discussion, but the absence of an efficient way to tension the luff, together with incorrect cloth choice, may account for it. The fact is: one needs to have as much as four different Tornado jibs to work with a single mainsail. For me, this is a clear demonstration that these jibs could profit from a different approach, as construction techniques go. Of course the boats might also have to sport new trimming resources.

The subject than changed to low stretch and low weight:

> You asked, "why" to my statement, "In most
> cases,materials that have low stretch, light
> weight, and good durability are most perfered"...

Dave correctly states that low weight is always better and that is a sought-after characteristic in most sailboat classes. But my question was rather: why BOTH characteristics (lightness and low stretch) at the same time? I still think that a careful choice of sailcloth flexibility, with more stretch on the leach (for instance) may widen the useful range of the sails.

Then comes a new question:

> My question is, "how"
>How can a flexable sail be self flattening
> on a large multihull, with a nonflexable mast?
> My experance has showed me that big multihull
> sails just keep getting fuller, as the wind builds,
> especially if the material is not stable enough,
> or the mast doesn't bend. > These are my opinions,
> based on personal experance with small
> to maxi multihulls.

I'd rather refrain from commenting on the exact details, but as you can certainly figure, building features like this into a sail requires a lot of skill and is a labor intensive task. Basically, one has to start by abandoning the pre-conceived idea that cloth flexibility is always bad. Once it is assumed that flexibility can be put to play in your team, instead of against you, the rest will follow - not necessarily in an easy way. But with a researcher’s mind and A LOT of experimentation and hard labor, one can eventually develop a consistent way to create self-flattening sails.

Remark: it may is interesting to note that also on the boats side some improvements are necessary. The powerful purchase on the luff tensioning system of the Tornados is one of these changes.

Cheers

Arnaldo

(*) I said above “you don’t need to put draft in a sail to see draft when the sail is properly set”. This is not new, of course. It has been known for about 3000 years. But the submission of human intelligence to sailmaking softwares is somehow erasing this information from the minds of otherwise well informed sailors.

Luiz
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 659 guests, and 155 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022