11/09/12 05:51 PM
11/09/12 05:51 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Yeah, I remember that meeting. I was driving back home after getting half way to a regatta because my wife fell...and I learned while en-route that Liz took our changes to the event conditions and insisted on adding her own changes the day before they were to be voted on even though she wasn't involved with the group challenged with modifying the conditions. I remember specifically not being involved in that meeting. That was the day I "was done".

There were discussions on this event prior to that one meeting.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254524
11/09/12 05:54 PM
11/09/12 05:54 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by brucat
While membership is required at these events, championships alone are not enough of a carrot to drive membership, which is why I wrote that post the way I did. Read it again before ranting.

Mike

I'm stuck on this part: " Everyone in the selected class would need to be members for that event (qualifier)."

Are you not saying that if the A-cat is the boat, all A-cat sailors at Spring Fever would need to be members?

That is what I'm saying.

I recognize that this would require some bravery, but I think we can get there if we put the past aside and work to improve overall benefits of membership.

I can use help on that committee if you're interested, Jake.

Mike

Okay, so I'm not an elite sailor and go to plenty of regatta's each year...I'll never qualify for the Alter Cup.

I won't (and haven't) participated in a qualifier for Alter Cup because I simply can't justify why I should pay USS for the privilege in sailing in their event. I've got plenty of other options and frankly I don't see what USS gives me (especially when both Skipper and Crew needed to be members .... that's an extra ... what ... $150 to my weekend); and I can afford it (we measure everything in wine -- that's 3 bottles of Cakebread!!)

To me, it's what do I get in return for that expense?

Other than this Championship, I don't really feel like USS cares about the beachcat sailor.

My 0.02

Convince me differently.

USA 777
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254525
11/09/12 05:59 PM
11/09/12 05:59 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
That is what I'm saying.

I recognize that this would require some bravery, but I think we can get there if we put the past aside and work to improve overall benefits of membership.

I can use help on that committee if you're interested, Jake.

Mike

Mike, I appreciate the offer - but I'm not considering that again until there are some other changes (that I'll be glad to discuss offline). It's not "bravery" that's needed for this requirement. I just don't think it will get off the ground with this requirement in place. I totally disagree that the entire class, including those sailors of said class that are not interested in partaking of the qualifying event, must be members and stand by my "rant". I think it's a mistake to require that. This one little thing (and it is little and petty on part of US Sailing) will prevent the qualifiers from gaining traction and prevent events from being interested in hosting the qualifying portion (because they would lose participation in that class). It may work in the big boats, but it just won't fit here. I totally, 100% agree, that anyone that is partaking in the qualifier opportunity should be a member. No question there.

Look at T-backs post just above. I would wager that he wouldn't bother attending the Spring Fever where the F16 is in qualifying mode because he doesn't want to join US Sailing and isn't concerned with competing for the championship. It's more than just the $ thing, it taints the whole thing for some folks. The potential hosting regatta won't want the loss of attendance and would probably decline the qualifier opportunity if this requirement comes with it.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254528
11/09/12 08:28 PM
11/09/12 08:28 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

We're just trying to come up with new ideas.

Claiming that the Alter Cup is an important (some say the most important) benefit of membership, then giving a list of reasons that only a select few need to join is simply not a compelling argument.

US Sailing offers a variety of benefits, and I try to think of new ones, or better ways for us to leverage other parts of the organization all the time.

Even when we come up with things we all agree are important, it's impossible to ask for things when we have less than 100 people who bother to join, and no real promise that anyone would join if things were changed.

We can live in fantasy land all day, bit the reality is that US Sailing is our governing body and our segment is not big enough to fundamentally change the way they operate.

Our best (probably only) chance to succeed is to identify ways to work with them to add benefits, not to demand special treatment. I went to bat for us in San Fran (it was not pretty) and managed to retain our core structure. It was duly noted that we are set up differently than anyone else. Most resistance came regarding championships.

I understood this as the way to proceed on Day 1. The sooner the rest of you do, the more chance we have to be successful.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254529
11/09/12 08:31 PM
11/09/12 08:31 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Said another way, we cannot say that we demand our championship be run our way, then choose to join only in years that we care to enter.

At the end of the day, it really is just that simple.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254530
11/09/12 10:00 PM
11/09/12 10:00 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Mike, well said. Like any organization, you only get out what you put in.
Caleb

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: H17cat] #254531
11/09/12 10:07 PM
11/09/12 10:07 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by H17cat
Caleb

I guess I'm missing something ... except for the Brand Name "Alter Cup" what benefit does our class of sailors derive from USS membership?

Maybe it would be best to say that we don't really fit with USS and do our own thing and have our own Championship. Maybe bestow the previous champions as the name for the next year championship.

The 2012 Struble/Lacesella BeachCat Multihull Championship

USA 777
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: tback] #254532
11/09/12 10:18 PM
11/09/12 10:18 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
tback...

Perhaps you should try the counter factual...
What does the laser class sailor get from US Sailing?...
What do they get that catamran classes don't?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254533
11/10/12 01:08 AM
11/10/12 01:08 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
In the early days, you had to be a member of US SAILING to get the discount at a Hobie Cat Regatta, or pay extra for the US SAILING insurance coverage. This was changed as the coverage shifted to a different program.

Now,as I mentioned, you get out what you put in. Just ask anyone who has taken part in, or supported the Junior Olympics, Multihull Youth Championship, Alter Cup, or the Fast and Fun programs.

During the the Multihull Council meeting, concern was expressed about where the future sailors would come from. It is a simple answer. If you are not supporting the Youth Sailing programs in your area, you are not part of the solution. Usually, these programs have US SAILING trained level one instructors,and use US SAILING Training programs. They may be part of a Communitity Sailing Program or a local Yacht Club. The regattas that have US SAILING sponsored events all require membership. Youth Membership and Family Membership,in addition to individual rates, are all available through the Multihull Council website.

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254534
11/10/12 06:40 AM
11/10/12 06:40 AM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
tback...

Mark,

This, a compelling argument, doesn't make.

After all, I don't sail Lasers. smile

USA 777
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254535
11/10/12 07:14 AM
11/10/12 07:14 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
tback...

Weren't the lasers in the Olympics?

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: tback] #254537
11/10/12 09:40 AM
11/10/12 09:40 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by tback
Originally Posted by H17cat
Caleb

I guess I'm missing something ... except for the Brand Name "Alter Cup" what benefit does our class of sailors derive from USS membership?

Maybe it would be best to say that we don't really fit with USS and do our own thing and have our own Championship. Maybe bestow the previous champions as the name for the next year championship.

The 2012 Struble/Lacesella BeachCat Multihull Championship

T, USS is a Federally mandated monopoly. If they chose, they could have any nonsanctioned regatta shut down by the Coast Guard as "unsafe", applying whatever definition they chose. The best you can hope for from USS is benign neglect.

Last edited by pgp; 11/10/12 09:41 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: tback] #254538
11/10/12 09:43 AM
11/10/12 09:43 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by tback
tback...

Mark,

This, a compelling argument, doesn't make.

After all, I don't sail Lasers. smile

Um, actually it makes a lot of sense. We aren't getting any less out if US Sailing than anyone else. Even if we were, it would be OUR FAULT for not asking or figuring out the leverage options.

Um, in case you weren't paying attention, cats are back in the Olympics. Are any of you going?

Keelboats and windsurfers are out. We are WAY outnumbered by keelboats. Should all of them quit too?

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254539
11/10/12 10:09 AM
11/10/12 10:09 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Pete, now you've done it (again), and the black helicopters are on the way...

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: tback] #254547
11/10/12 11:26 AM
11/10/12 11:26 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
tback

If your curiosity does not lead you to contrast your experience with any other sailor in a dinghy or keel boat class... there is not much more to say.

What do you value in the sport?

If you don't want to know what the organiztion does and decide on it's value for you. ... fine. There is no penalty for free loading..

There is a cost tho....

Every cat class bemoans the small number of young sailors entering our niche of the sport... just heard it from the class reps at the US Sailing meeting.... So... what to do.

Fact of Life... parents put their kids into programs that are acreditted. THAT would be US Sailing. If you want to introduce those kids to your favorite flavor of the sport... you need to join and be part of the solution... If you don't value youth participation in organized sport.... OK..

If you don't value qualified judges to manage differences on the water... Ok. (your non support is a very very small cost)

If you don't value a program to grow the performance of the Race Officers... OK. (your non support is a very very small cost)

If you don't value leadership on all of the back office crap that you need... Ok. (your non support is a very very small cost)

It's your choice... but it is silly for me to convince you of what you should value.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254548
11/10/12 12:23 PM
11/10/12 12:23 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And you've again demonstrated your misunderstanding of sailing, that's why this latest Alter Cup is going so swimmingly.

Last edited by pgp; 11/10/12 01:33 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254550
11/10/12 02:28 PM
11/10/12 02:28 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Pete,

I was joking with you, but just for the entertainment value, please enlighten us...

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254551
11/10/12 03:37 PM
11/10/12 03:37 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We've been through that ad nauseum. You guys insist on reinventing the wheel so enjoy the process.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: pgp] #254552
11/10/12 04:46 PM
11/10/12 04:46 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Dude... You should give up on trying to be clever with the snark..

if this were the wheel... things would work... wheels would go round and round.

If you think things don't work.... you are not wasting time reinventing a wheel.... you are fixing stuff.

Neither applies here!

What is on the table is called moving forward... the past is the past... What issues that are not class specific can the newly named MRC (Multihull racing Committee) same representative structure as the past do.

safety standards and practices for YC who run multi events and have no clue how to rescue a turtled cat.
Online Rules clinic for 2012-2016
Training for young sailors... rec to olympic
Training for sailors who want to get into mulit's

There is a championship committee.... handles double handed monohulls, single handed champs... oh and by the way.. a mulithull championship.
The committee is trying for a Championship that works for the entire community. See Bert Rice if you have questions... Read the minutes if you want to know what ACTUALLY transpired versus your opinion.

All of the one design classes get to work with the One design classes on shared issues.... What issues should the catamaran one design classes bring up through the One Design Committee of US Sailing.
Ask your class what they are doing... Who are they working with... what is their long term plan to build fleets, add sailors, train sailors whatever... There must be some value because the other sailing OD classes participate. Ask your class what's the plan. Matt Bounds is a great rep for Hobie on this committee...Ask him... F18's plan to be active members of the OD Committee. Your class can get a seat at the table as well.

Olympic/International competition is another area...that multi sailors have a stake in.... ISAF passed the final slate for 2016 today... Mixed multi could have been tossed... We were not. Kites were replace with boards... Do you value this activity... ie an olympic cat?
Does US Olympic have an effective Development program that will coach young sailors up for future success..
Will the US N17 class be wholely owned by US Olypmic or be owner run.... or will it be factory run.. Will US Olympic set the agenda? Have they put in a way for you to support the efforts? If you wanted to buy a boat... Could you and by when. See Sarah Newbury if you want more information about this area... She is the Youth Chair.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254554
11/11/12 12:32 AM
11/11/12 12:32 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
We're just trying to come up with new ideas.

Claiming that the Alter Cup is an important (some say the most important) benefit of membership, then giving a list of reasons that only a select few need to join is simply not a compelling argument.

US Sailing offers a variety of benefits, and I try to think of new ones, or better ways for us to leverage other parts of the organization all the time.

Even when we come up with things we all agree are important, it's impossible to ask for things when we have less than 100 people who bother to join, and no real promise that anyone would join if things were changed.

We can live in fantasy land all day, bit the reality is that US Sailing is our governing body and our segment is not big enough to fundamentally change the way they operate.

Our best (probably only) chance to succeed is to identify ways to work with them to add benefits, not to demand special treatment. I went to bat for us in San Fran (it was not pretty) and managed to retain our core structure. It was duly noted that we are set up differently than anyone else. Most resistance came regarding championships.

I understood this as the way to proceed on Day 1. The sooner the rest of you do, the more chance we have to be successful.

Mike

Mike, at the end of the day USSailing needs us more than we need them, so stop telling us that we need to get onboard. You and I both know that if USSailing went away tomorrow it wouldn't change anything for 98% of the multihull community. USSailing needs to wake up and deliver a service that encourages us to join or at a minimum just gets out of the way.

FYI, the registration upcharge for non USSailing members is NOT a reason to join USSailing. I happily pay the upcharge because that money goes to the club and does NOT go USSailing. Now if USSailing would kick in a few bucks for every USSailing member that attended a regatta that might encourage me to join, let me know what Jack thinks about that idea.

And Mike, the folks that did your job before you understood how USSailing works too.

Still waiting for the minutes where USSailing agreed to waive the $50 per competitor fee and sponsorship restrictions.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022