10/27/03 01:37 PM
Milford, CT
kseluga Offline OP
stranger
kseluga  Offline OP
stranger

Milford, CT
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to all my fellow Heckscher sailors since I might not see you all again till next spring. This past Saturday I went for my last sail of the year at Heckscher and wow, what a great day, I wish there had been some more people out there. As it was, besides myself, our new Hobie 16 sailor Mike was the only one to brave the 18 mph southerly winds and October chill. Pretty impressive since this was his first season on a cat! The best part about the day was that there were no power boats and a steady 15-20 mph breeze making the waves great for riding off the wind.

Although I had a pretty good season this year, despite the late start due to the cold, it was sad to see Heckscher empty so many great Saturdays and Sundays. I don't know what we can do, but if we all want to get the most out of our short season we really need to get more participation. It’s hard to bring in new boats because this can be an expensive sport, but we do have a lot of solo sailor (myself included) who have room for one more and you can’t have more boats until you have more people interested in sailing. Since there is certainly not enough interest in LICSA racing to support even occasional racing, I think we should just try to get people down to the beach for casual sailing events. People have enough excuses not to go sailing, we need to give them a few excuses to go sailing. Anyway, I hope to see you all a lot more next year.

By the way, as some of you know, I’ve been building a 14’ cat for sailing on the Sound on weekends when I can’t make it to the Island and I made a web site all about it so take a look at www.rclandsailing.com/catamaran to see what I’ve been up to. When it’s done next year I will definitely bring it to Heckscher at least once to show it off.

Kris

--Advertisement--
Re: Great Last Day at Heckscher [Re: kseluga] #25477
10/29/03 04:45 PM
10/29/03 04:45 PM
Long Island, NY
Steven Bellavia Offline
Steven Bellavia  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hi Kris,
I would have loved to join you, but had my nephew's birthday party that day. I am definitely up for some "casual" sailing next year at Heckscher or wherever. I definitely agree that we need to have better participation, especially at Heckscher (use it or lose it). My kids are getting big enough to bring along, so I won't have as many excuses as I have for the last few years.
Glad you had a great day!

Steve

Re: Great Last Day at Heckscher [Re: kseluga] #25478
11/02/03 05:12 PM
11/02/03 05:12 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
What's Heckscher?

Re: Great Last Day at Heckscher [Re: rhodysail] #25479
11/05/03 10:31 AM
11/05/03 10:31 AM
Long Island, NY
Steven Bellavia Offline
Steven Bellavia  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hi,
Heckscher State Park is one of the many waterfront parks on Long Island owned and managed by New York State. Many years ago (the 70's), Hobie fleet 143 petitioned to have field 7 of this park (on the perfect, windiest, widest and deepest spot of the Great South Bay) for sailors ONLY - no swimmers - no picnicers - etc. After that the windsurfers also shared this field. There used to be 10 to 20 cats per weekend throughout the summer, always a handful on weekdays and some regattas with over 300 boats (see other posts on this forum). Now it is slowly becoming a ghost town. I fear that if we do not continue to use it, we may lose it.

Would you be interested in taking a drive from Connecticut if we hosted a quality event?

Steve

Attached Files

Re: Great Last Day at Heckscher [Re: Steven Bellavia] #25480
11/25/03 01:58 PM
11/25/03 01:58 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
It's possible we would go if you have a Hobie 16 fleet.

BTW: I know teh Alter Cup Committee is looking for a host on Long Island Sound.

Alter Cup [Re: rhodysail] #25481
11/26/03 04:15 PM
11/26/03 04:15 PM
Long Island, NY
Steven Bellavia Offline
Steven Bellavia  Offline

Long Island, NY
I've helped with hosting Area B Alter Cup Eliminations in the past, but haven't done it for several years now. I could be convinced to host one again, but if I'm the sole host, I'd prefer it in my hometown at Mattituck Yacht Club. It's a great spot for cat sailing/launching, but a long drive or expensive ferry ride for anyone coming from off Long Island.
Tell those looking to contact me and see what we can come up with.
Steve

Re: Alter Cup [Re: Steven Bellavia] #25482
11/28/03 03:47 PM
11/28/03 03:47 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Steve
Expect an e-mail from John Willians at your yacht club e-mail (from the web site).
Bob

Re: Alter Cup [Re: rhodysail] #25483
12/08/03 03:40 PM
12/08/03 03:40 PM
Long Island, NY
Steven Bellavia Offline
Steven Bellavia  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hi,
I got the E-mail from John. I've petitioned the board of governors at MYC and suspect they are considering it, but I can't second guess what they are thinking. I'd like to run the event, so I'll push for it.
Steve

Re: Great Last Day at Heckscher [Re: kseluga] #25484
02/16/04 02:16 PM
02/16/04 02:16 PM
Bayville, NY
Paul_Nardone Offline
Paul_Nardone  Offline

Bayville, NY
Hi Jason,
This may be a biased reply since I have always sailed Prindles but the things I have noticed about Hobie 16 are:
1. Too much sail for hull dispacement. Will pitchpole in breezes above 15 knots if not properly trimmed (both weight and sail.
2. In lighter breezes with your weight flying hulls will be easy and fun.
3. Righting will be hard unless sail is orientated to the breeze to help.
4. Mast needs to be sealed prior to sailing to prevent it from filling up with water.
5. It will be a fast boat in flat water.
6. At the stanchions (those posts that attach the tramp to the hulls)make sure they are solid and don't wiggle.
7. Make sure the rudders lock down.
8. rudder gudgeons are tight.
9. No cracks at shroud chain plates

Good luck in finding your boat, if you find a Prindle 18 drop me a line as I am looking for a used one

Paul Nardone, Jr.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 409 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022