11/17/12 04:37 PM
11/17/12 04:37 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
So I just bought a Drift HD camera and would like to use it on my C-2. Where and how have you guys who have cameras mounted them to the boat for the best footage? All the easy spots move i.e boom, tiller crossbar,mast etc. I'm thinking about off of a post/batten sticking out aft center of the tramp.I have a couple of "handlebar" style mounts. I'd like it to be accessible while sailing. How about safety tether ideas also.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254871
11/17/12 05:01 PM
11/17/12 05:01 PM
SE MI / NE IN
rehmbo Offline
enthusiast
rehmbo  Offline
enthusiast

SE MI / NE IN
Wide angles lens gives you more flexibility than you think. With our GoPro, we've had good luck either just aft of the bridle on the spin pole (under the jib), or on a small sprit extended out in front of the spin tack. Both locations give you a view of crew and boat on both tacks.

You would think that foreground items like the mast (or spin tack block) would dominate the view, but with the wide angle, they kinda disappear.

Edit - forgot the last sentence in your original post about being accessible while sailing. While the sprit idea is out, with a bit of dexterity, I think the under-jib position is doable.

Last edited by rehmbo; 11/17/12 05:05 PM.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254872
11/17/12 06:23 PM
11/17/12 06:23 PM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

Spin pole is always a nice shot, but you'll need a 'roll bar' mount as gopro calls them. I've mounted to the boom many times, it's pretty steady once you're going. I'd like to do an extension off of the spin pole or back of the boom but am not sure what/how to mount it.

I always tie the camera off to something substantial, but I've gone through two already. I have a foam float that's glued to the back door of my new one. Every time I lose one GoPro comes out with another one, I'm up to the Hero 3 now!

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254873
11/17/12 07:49 PM
11/17/12 07:49 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Is there a remote control available? Would be nice to be able to start/stop when it's out on the spin pole.

Another really great location is the top of the mast. You can only see one side of the boat, but it's a unique angle that can give outstanding shots.

Mike

Mike

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254874
11/17/12 08:32 PM
11/17/12 08:32 PM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

I've got one with mine. Works well, just strap it to my pfd

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: brucat] #254875
11/17/12 08:50 PM
11/17/12 08:50 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat
Is there a remote control available? Would be nice to be able to start/stop when it's out on the spin pole.

Another really great location is the top of the mast. You can only see one side of the boat, but it's a unique angle that can give outstanding shots.

Mike

Mike

The Drift has a remote. The new one is waterproof, not sure about mine so it gets a ziplock. I'll probably try the boom as I'd like to see forward in the vid. I think that's more natural and interesting.Let's you see what the sailors are reacting to. Hope to try things out at the Steeplechase.

p.s. Mac, I got one of those Ipod players like yours. Love it, probably won't use it while racing though.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254876
11/17/12 09:16 PM
11/17/12 09:16 PM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

We don't take it racing anymore. Kept trying to change the song during the race haha.

Here's a short clip I took with the camera mounted on the boom..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4lwTy1cgk

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: ] #254877
11/17/12 09:21 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Mac m
We don't take it racing anymore. Kept trying to change the song during the race haha.

Here's a short clip I took with the camera mounted on the boom..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4lwTy1cgk

Yep,Changin' songs is the only complaint I have about it.

Vid is blocked as private.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254878
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Eric (Isotope) posted that footage of the mark rounding scenario a while back; it appeared that the camera was mounted to the crossbar or tiller arm. Pretty good vantage point for what lies ahead.

Mike

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254879
11/17/12 09:24 PM
11/17/12 09:24 PM

M
Mac m
Unregistered
Mac m
Unregistered
M

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: brucat] #254880
11/17/12 09:52 PM
11/17/12 09:52 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat
Eric (Isotope) posted that footage of the mark rounding scenario a while back; it appeared that the camera was mounted to the crossbar or tiller arm. Pretty good vantage point for what lies ahead.

Mike

Thought about that, Except it moves everytime you steer.The boom would be more static and drier (even though it's in a wp housing). Still an option though.

Mac, still private.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254887
11/18/12 08:21 AM
11/18/12 08:21 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
I have two cameras. One I mount on the compression bar (a rod between the bows), just off center looking back. The other I mount on the port rudder arm, close to the pivot point (just above the gudgeons) looking forward.

I don't wiggle the tiller a lot, so the rear camera gets a reasonably steady view. I think it's steadier than boom-mounting would be. I chose the port side so that it gets a good shot of the marks when rounding to port. The field-of-view is wide enough that it pretty much gets me in frame trapped out on either side. One advantage of mounting to the rudder arm is that a little weather helm keeps the camera pointed towards the high side a bit, which helps keep me in the picture. The downside is that the camera looks off-boat when tacking or gybing.

I am planning to mount a bar between the rudder arms near the piviots, so I can move the camera to the center of the boat. I'm also working on a gimbaled mount, so the horizon will stay level when flying a hull.

Although both can be accessed, neither camera is within easy reach on the water, so I generally turn them on at the beach and just let them record all day.

When I sail the Tanzer 16 (a monohull), I only mount one camera (to the tiller). It is easy to reach there, so I turn it off between races.

The newer model of my camera has a waterproof remote control. If I had that, It would be easy to start and stop recording.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Isotope235] #254898
11/18/12 11:30 AM
11/18/12 11:30 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Isotope42
I have two cameras. One I mount on the compression bar (a rod between the bows), just off center looking back. The other I mount on the port rudder arm, close to the pivot point (just above the gudgeons) looking forward.

I don't wiggle the tiller a lot, so the rear camera gets a reasonably steady view. I think it's steadier than boom-mounting would be. I chose the port side so that it gets a good shot of the marks when rounding to port. The field-of-view is wide enough that it pretty much gets me in frame trapped out on either side. One advantage of mounting to the rudder arm is that a little weather helm keeps the camera pointed towards the high side a bit, which helps keep me in the picture. The downside is that the camera looks off-boat when tacking or gybing.

I am planning to mount a bar between the rudder arms near the piviots, so I can move the camera to the center of the boat. I'm also working on a gimbaled mount, so the horizon will stay level when flying a hull.

Although both can be accessed, neither camera is within easy reach on the water, so I generally turn them on at the beach and just let them record all day.

When I sail the Tanzer 16 (a monohull), I only mount one camera (to the tiller). It is easy to reach there, so I turn it off between races.

The newer model of my camera has a waterproof remote control. If I had that, It would be easy to start and stop recording.

I hope that helps,
Eric

I'm a little concerned w/ the camera being that low to the water, the lens would be nothing but moving water droplets. I'll be racing an f-18 in the ocean with a reasonable assumption of a strong breeze. I know it wouldn't have worked on my N-20.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254906
11/18/12 05:57 PM
11/18/12 05:57 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
I make my mounts out of electrical conduit, I just cut tabs in the end heat it up and shape it to the pole, then either duct tape or tec screw it on. I've never heard of the Drift before it looks like what I would want, how long does the battery last? Can you connect it to the extra battery pack while sailing?

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: JeffS] #254915
11/18/12 10:46 PM
11/18/12 10:46 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by JeffS
I make my mounts out of electrical conduit, I just cut tabs in the end heat it up and shape it to the pole, then either duct tape or tec screw it on. I've never heard of the Drift before it looks like what I would want, how long does the battery last? Can you connect it to the extra battery pack while sailing?

I haven't had a chance to use mine enough to answer your questions, but the new Drift Ghost looks like the perfect boat cam. I need a housing for mine but the ghost is waterproof to 3 meters with a waterproof remote and preview/review screen, zoom and indexable lens. Rev Petey that does alot of the Sailing Anarchy vids and a lot of other stuff, sold me on it.
http://driftinnovation.com/ghost-uk/
http://driftinnovation.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=14a03cd7e83170f115e4c621e&id=f7de5d351d

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254916
11/18/12 11:48 PM
11/18/12 11:48 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Got a broken tiller extension laying around? Sure you do. Tape that to the boom, spin pole, brown eye, whatever, and clamp the camera on that.

I'd like to see a tripod of some sort, I guess it'd be a quadpod to work, coming off the transoms so the camera was up and behind the boat a fair bit so you can see the whole tramp, and just enough so the heads were still in the frame when trapped out. But something that's really tied in hard to the boat so you get a good feel for how it's going through the water.

Last edited by Karl_Brogger; 11/19/12 12:00 AM. Reason: sweet jesus, my spelling sucks balls

I'm boatless.
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254926
11/19/12 08:37 AM
11/19/12 08:37 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

You certainly have some good points on why a tiller-mount might not work when it's windy, but I think it's a great training aid for light air work, when moving the tiller is like pumping the brakes. It might be nice to be able to go back and see just how steady your hands are.

Mike

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254927
11/19/12 08:40 AM
11/19/12 08:40 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I never saw what the rig looked like, but Rick White has some neat shots in several of his videos that appear to use some sort of rigging off the stern of the boat to have the camera looking at the sailors and forward. I think that was the best angle I've seen to date. Some old battens and duct tape should do the trick.

Jake Kohl
Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254928
11/19/12 08:51 AM
11/19/12 08:51 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
I'm a little concerned w/ the camera being that low to the water, the lens would be nothing but moving water droplets.

By all means, mount a camera wherever you're comfortable with it. I rarely go out in winds over 15 kts, or in big waves. deck-height mounting might not work well in high wind or surf.

I have several videos, however, where spray off a bow hits the camera. It gives quite a sense of speed. I also have a near-capsize where the camera spent some time under water. That wasn't my best moment, but it's interesting to watch.

Treating the housing lens with rain-x helps shed water droplets, so they don't interfere with the picture.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Camera mount ideas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #254929
11/19/12 08:59 AM
11/19/12 08:59 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
On top of the dagger board is NOT a good place!!! Waiting for the right type of storm to take all the water out of our river and possible retrieve it if it hasn't settled to far into the muck....

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022